• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heel blisters during uphill travel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an issue with heel blisters while skinning uphill. I have had this issue with many variations of hiking boots also. I have tried to get the proper fitting boots, different methods of tying the laces etc. and nothing seems to work.

I thought I read somewhere that some people use a silicone heel cup under their sock. Anyone try this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nancy

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boyfriend gets them really badly in his touring boots & mountaineering boots until they’re well broken in (~2 seasons). He had a lot of luck with leukotape and nylon knee-highs under his socks. Also worked for a friend who has to tele in ill fitting boots since there aren’t many options left on the market.

James

Out There
Instructor
Here's some possible remedies. Link below.

You're supposed to stop as soon as it feels hot. Maybe warm for you. Years ago I was told that, it felt hot, figured nah, can't be bad, kept going for hours. I had spent the longest of anyone of our group fitting boots as I was determined not to get blisters. Hah.

Stopped and took off the boots. Huge blister popped already. Bad. Both feet. That was the first day of like a 7 day wilderness hiking trip. I had to be pretty religous about cleaning and using 2nd skin. First 45 min of the day was agony, then you got used to it and it was fine till you stopped for too long.
Being young helps.

https://www.wildsnow.com/2240/at-boot-lacer/

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't had issues in my AT setup, but I have in me XC BC boots. On a recent 3-day tour, I duct taped my heels, and they were fine. I tried my running BodyGlide on my heels before that, and it didn't work.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Those "neoprene" anklets are the cat's pajamas for blister prevention.

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have a pair from my "adult soccer" play. They are in a box....somewhere. ;-)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those "neoprene" anklets are the cat's pajamas for blister prevention.

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have a pair from my "adult soccer" play. They are in a box....somewhere. ;-)
Here you go (my recommendation is to start thin and I wouldn't go thicker then the 2mm version) -

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/eZeefit_Skins_Ankle_Booties/descpage-EZSKIN.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/eZeefit_Ultrathin_Ankle_Booties/descpage-EZUT.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/eZeefit_2mm_Ankle_Booties/descpage-EZ2MMN.html

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep the instep buckle tightened when you’re in tour mode. I assume you’ve got a good footbed that will stabilize your foot, especially the heel?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I used to do regular X/C skiing, I would start each season with moleskin applied to my heels. After a couple of weeks of daily X/C, I could then go without the moleskin. Now as a casual occasional X/C skier, I just cut a big patch of moleskin for my heels and then go out blister-free.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I have the same problem and was going to start a thread. Thanks for doing it. I've tried band-aids, moleskin and duct tape. None were effective for me. I've adjusted buckles every way possible and that helped some but didn't eliminate the problem. A friend recently suggested KT blister tape (apparently that doesn't move with perspiration the way duct tape does), but I haven't tried it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what others are doing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Keep the instep buckle tightened when you’re in tour mode. I assume you’ve got a good footbed that will stabilize your foot, especially the heel?

This helps a lot.

Also a more rigid liner will cause the foot to run against the liner. A more flexible touring specific liner generally moves with your foot better and minimizes rubbing.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So, the pedorthotist who did my footbeds suggested packing tape in the heels of the shoes that regularly created blisters on my feet. I suppose the theory being that if your anatomy is such that your heel is not going to be secure in the heel pocket of the shoe, then you might as well minimize the friction of it movement. Anyone tried this in either touring boots or shoes?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, the pedorthotist who did my footbeds suggested packing tape in the heels of the shoes that regularly created blisters on my feet. I suppose the theory being that if your anatomy is such that your heel is not going to be secure in the heel pocket of the shoe, then you might as well minimize the friction of it movement. Anyone tried this in either touring boots or shoes?
I have, but for different reasons. No adverse consequences

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the same problem. The easiest solution ive found is a piece of athletic tape. Its made to stay on when sweaty. It moves the friction from your skin to the tape. Just make sure you over size the tape if you're getting lots of movement because you don't want it to ball up and make it worse.

Sponsor

Staff online