• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated Gloves vs. Mittens

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Thinking about these for the first time. Have always used Hestra mittens to ski in because I've always found mittens warmer than gloves. With regard to the heated products, are the gloves just as good as the mittens? Any reasons to get the mittens over gloves?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The chaval lobster claw mittens have separations between the fingers, which seems to defeat the purpose of mittens.

My Hestra heated gloves have wires on the finger tips, so yah, a heated mitten will need to have an inner "glove" to run the finger wires. Hestra also makes a heated, insulated glove liner that needs to be worn underneath a shell glove or mitten.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had OR Lucent heated gloves, which were not warm enough for me, my hands were warm on a lift ride but fingertips got cold when I was moving due to the cooling of the air rushing past when I ski.

I then upgraded to the Lucent heated mittens (OR is really good about warranty support and customer service). Those were great, warmer than the Lucent gloves.

However after a year I had a problem with one of the battery connectors. OR was willing to warranty them, but were out for stock until the next year (it was in the spring), so they offered me a replacement of the then-new Capstone heated gloves, which have two lithium-ion batteries per glove. The heat lasts longer and I’m able to keep them on “high” for longer periods of time, and I think the heating is more efficient and better distributed throughout the glove. I have had these for two+ years now and I’m really pleased with them. I don’t use a liner with them.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I didn't really notice my hands being that cold until after I got Sidas footbed heaters.:)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have the Thermic electric mitts. I find them colder than my Swany 3 finger mitts. I originally bought them for my husband and after he passed away I kept them. Had them out this past weekend and still don't like them. The wire/heat is only on the back of the hand. So your palm gets cold. And I really don't think there is any heat on the thumb. Was into the local ski shop yesterday to see about the heated gloves, again Thermic, but same thing...heat is on the back of the hand. So not sure about those. They did fit better than the mitt, so might be warmer. Was going to try something from Costco that is really made for the hockey Moms at the arena. Thinking it with an overglove might work.

One of the biggest problems I have with any glove or mitt, is the cuff. Most have these long cuffs and because my hands are small, the cuff is narrow and I can't get the cuff over my jacket cuffs. So I can't seem to wear some of these styles.

An aside - there is a google ad right below the box for Chaval heated gloves....

AMG

Booting up
Skier
I have volt heated gloves. I have done extensive research over almost a decade. Anyone with raynauds condition will understand that the hand never gets cold. It's the fingers. ( the blood vessels constrict and no blood flows to the tips ) So not many gloves offer the heating element up and down both sides of each finger, as well as the thumb. It would be hard to imagine what it feels like for someone who doesnt have this condition, but basically your fingers go from feeling normal to just painful. There is a short lived stage where they actually feel cold, but that is replaced with pain fairly quickly. I had a pair of therm IC years ago. But the heat did not go down to the fingers. You live you learn. Also 2 years later one of them stopped working altogether. Repairing it would likely cost way more than the gloves themselves. I have not tested heated mittens, but I'm guessing for raynauds they are not ideal. I recommend extra batteries only if you ski full days in very cold weather. Otherwise one pair will work fine. I'm very happy with these.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I’d add this tidbit: in addition to my OR Capstone heated gloves, I’ll often use my OR Revel shell mitts over them. I had to get the XL size to fit over the gloves. I got them primarily to keep my gloves dry in the wet snow and rain, but I’ve found they do a great job of blocking the wind as well as keeping the heat in.

When I no longer need them I remove them and stuff them in a pocket, as they are light and compact.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The chaval lobster claw mittens have separations between the fingers, which seems to defeat the purpose of mittens.
I'm very disapointed in Chaval. One glove failed a bit more than a year. $32 and about a month to get it fixed. It should have (a) not failed, (b) fixed and returned in a week. The repair itself can't take more than something under an hour.

Sponsor

Staff online