• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated Gloves - 5v vs. 7.4v batteries

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I decided to go with the 5V 5000 mAH glove. Mainly because the glove was a heavier 200g insulation vs. the 7.4v 2500 was around 140g insulation. The 5V also fit my hand a lot better. Will report back how they do at Steamboat this weekend, it's supposed to be a high of 15F, so I'll need them.

5V 5000 mAH glove

I also decided to buy spare 5000 mAH power packs that I believe to be compatible. Fairly cheap at $15 per pack.

Extra power packs

This is the glove I was considering but ultimately decided not to keep.

7.4v Glove

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Appreciate the help from the science geniuses, a lot of that was way over my head but certainly helpful. It seems like I would have been better off with the 7.4v, but I just didn't like the quality, fit, etc... of any of the lot with that style battery.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@raytseng , Yeah I got that.
I'm glad to see there is no problem with labelling the voltage.
I, like you, have a problem with not sticking to textbook definitions.
If your going to normalize it and tell me how many amp hours it would last through a voltage drop of x Volts, then you should at least say it's normalized to whatever.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@oswaldr2. Did you consider heated mittens instead of gloves? Mittens will conserve the heat better because there is less surface area to lose the heat to the cold air. This could be a larger factor than the battery energy storage capacity (joules or watt-hours or BTU or ....).

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I decided to go with the 5V 5000 mAH glove. Mainly because the glove was a heavier 200g insulation vs. the 7.4v 2500 was around 140g insulation. The 5V also fit my hand a lot better. Will report back how they do at Steamboat this weekend, it's supposed to be a high of 15F, so I'll need them.

5V 5000 mAH glove

I also decided to buy spare 5000 mAH power packs that I believe to be compatible. Fairly cheap at $15 per pack.

Extra power packs

This is the glove I was considering but ultimately decided not to keep.

7.4v Glove

You may be disappointed to find out that the extra battery pack will not run the gloves (as in swap out battery on the hill).

I think the extra battery pack is intended to recharge the supplied glove battery. You may also find that a 5000mAH extra battery pack will not fully charge a 5000mAH glove battery.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

5V 5000 mAH glove
The gloves in the link are 133g Primaloft so where does your 200g insulation number come from?

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
The gloves in the link are 133g Primaloft so where does your 200g insulation number come from?

200g Primaloft is often normalized to @133.7g Primaloft, so the insulation capacity is substantially similar.

Nah jk, I massively appreciate @raytseng's technical explanations here. I had no idea!

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier

i guess they have two different styles. Maybe the older one is what I got. Mine is Thinsulate and I think I saw the 200g somewhere in the photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 17
TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Depending on what color you get, the insulation is different

Attachments

• B54FB128-7914-4314-A109-E45939E2CECD.png
    B54FB128-7914-4314-A109-E45939E2CECD.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 16

James

Out There
Instructor
I hear these are warm. Weigh less than 100 gms. No batteries needed. They’re so light you could easily add a storm over mitt for super protection.

170F311E-4E53-442A-934B-363435E632C9.png

A legit review, guy skis back country in BC-
——————
After using this mitt over the last two months, with 40 days of skiing, I feel I can give them an honest review. Although simple, these mitts get the job done and then some. I have successfully used them at -30°C while skinning/skiing and down to -40°C while testing my new PHD Xero Half Bag.
—————-
- writer of blog, “Confessions of a Ski Bum”

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
If you've lost a finger portion to frostbite while skiing inbounds, you have my sympathy.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Any decent ski mitten which allows the fingers to touch each other inside, with a chemical hand warmer inside touching those fingers, will keep hands very warm. There will be no wires or batteries to worry about.

I have Reynaud's Syndrome and my hands are always colder than anyone else's. Mittens with hand warmers inside is my solution. On single digit days, I put two hand warmers in the big pocket against my four fingers, and wrap another hand warmer around each thumb. My hands are always nice and toasty. I buy the hand warmers by the box.

If anyone reading here tires of messing with wires and batteries, a low tech solution like this may be the best one for you.

Last edited:

robby

Booting up
Skier
There's more to this concern about the battery capacity. I also bought and tested a number of heated glove models and learned that the insulation of the glove will make all the difference and ensure that whatever battery power available it is used efficiently by the gloves. If the gloves cannot keep your hands fairly warm without running the heat, then the batteries are going to die quickly during use.
^^QFT. And in addition with a well insulated electric glove, if you forget to charge the batteries or one or both run out of power before the day is over, then you still have a reasonably warm glove on your hands.

One solution is to use a heated liner with no insulation and then wear it inside a insulated glove. Likely the most cost effective way if one already owns the appropriate insulated over- glove.

Huge +1 to both of these posts - this is the best-kept secret in the heated glove industry.

I recently tried the OR Capstone and found it puts out a lot of heat but does not contain it as well as I hoped on cold days. When I turned it on indoors, I could feel heat radiating on the outside the glove -- not a good sign for energy conservation. On my next very cold ski day, I ran a different test:

On my left hand, I wore the OR Capstone. On my right hand, I wore an OR Stormtracker inside an OR Alti (shell + mitten liner). The Capstone puts out more immediate heat, but after a minute the Stormtracker + Alti wins easily at any given setting.

For a fairer setup, I tried the OR Capstone inside an OR Alti Shell (no liner) against the same OR Stormtracker + Alti Mitt (shell + mitten liner) configuration. Stormtracker/Alti setup still won after a minute or two. I ran the same experiment inside and found what I expected: the Stormtracker/Alti leaked much less overall heat than the Capstone + Alti shell. I'm sticking with the Stormtracker/Alti and returning the Capstone.

(If you're wondering why I didn't try the OR Capstone + full Alti mitt configuration; the Capstone is too large to fit in the Alti liner).

There are certainly downsides to this setup -- very little dexterity (but enough to hold a ski pole), and it requires a manual battery swap if you want as much runtime at a given setting (Capstone holds two batteries). But for less money than just the Capstone glove, I have a warmer and much better insulated setup, and if I need fine finger movements, I can briefly remove the Alti while keeping the Stormtracker on (which is much more dextrous than the Capstone; I was pleasantly surprised to find I can do a complete battery swap without taking the gloves off).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Huge +1 to both of these posts - this is the best-kept secret in the heated glove industry.

I recently tried the OR Capstone and found it puts out a lot of heat but does not contain it as well as I hoped on cold days. When I turned it on indoors, I could feel heat radiating on the outside the glove -- not a good sign for energy conservation. On my next very cold ski day, I ran a different test:

On my left hand, I wore the OR Capstone. On my right hand, I wore an OR Stormtracker inside an OR Alti (shell + mitten liner). The Capstone puts out more immediate heat, but after a minute the Stormtracker + Alti wins easily at any given setting.

For a fairer setup, I tried the OR Capstone inside an OR Alti Shell (no liner) against the same OR Stormtracker + Alti Mitt (shell + mitten liner) configuration. Stormtracker/Alti setup still won after a minute or two. I ran the same experiment inside and found what I expected: the Stormtracker/Alti leaked much less overall heat than the Capstone + Alti shell. I'm sticking with the Stormtracker/Alti and returning the Capstone.

(If you're wondering why I didn't try the OR Capstone + full Alti mitt configuration; the Capstone is too large to fit in the Alti liner).

There are certainly downsides to this setup -- very little dexterity (but enough to hold a ski pole), and it requires a manual battery swap if you want as much runtime at a given setting (Capstone holds two batteries). But for less money than just the Capstone glove, I have a warmer and much better insulated setup, and if I need fine finger movements, I can briefly remove the Alti while keeping the Stormtracker on (which is much more dextrous than the Capstone; I was pleasantly surprised to find I can do a complete battery swap without taking the gloves off).

The Capstone is one of the models I returned. I kept the Stormtracker, but gave them to my son and he loves them. I'm using a Venture Heat liner in a large Dakine glove. I normally ski using Mountain Hardwear GTX gloves, but when it's really cold the heated setup comes out.

Sponsor

Staff online