• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated Boot Bag

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
After all the love I have given this (on #2 by the way as #1 died on a trip and no heating elements available and bucked up for a new bag) my trusty #2 has died. Its a week or so past 1 year old and that means about 30 days for me.

I figure that I won't go down this "Hot Gear" brand road again, but they are pretty much required for Zipfits. I know I can stuff a heating element from a heating pad in it for 110v - any ideas on how to deal with 12v?

To be honest, I little bummed as we are headed to Aspen Thu AM and trying to part this in the CLT is, well, not the most geographic friendly locale for this sort of stuff.

Any other brands people like? I'll hang up and listen. :)

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Combine your heating pad for 110v with an inverter, not ideal, but...

Wattage ratings may need some attention (or the level you turn the heating pad to ) so you can make it a travel item useable in a 12v accessory outlet.

HG Bags are notorious for failing. My first one died after about a year as well. I was given the advice to ensure the transformer for the 110v was outside the bag when plugged in as it overheating was what was attributed to it failing. I have kept mine outside during heating on the replacement and (knock on wood) so far it has survived several years.

HG Bags are also notorious for falling apart. Mine has. I just recently invested an hour with a stitch awl repairing it since that cost me nothing but time. Hopefully the heating element lasts as long as the stitching repair!

I hear Transpack has a heated bag. I haven't seen one yet in person to know how it compares size wise to the HG bag.

Good luck!

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^Thanks - I think I can rig something since we are staying pretty close to Ajax and will be taking bus if/when we go to Highlands or SM - so the 12v isn't a deal breaker for now. Ill look into the inverter.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a HGB ajax for 6 years and no problems other than zipper tabs broke, and replaced with 1/8" rope, I do leave the 110 controller out when I am heating the boots.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I keep reading all these reports about the Hot Gear Bag failing. Mine's going on six or seven years now and hasn't given me any trouble besides the zipper pulls breaking off. *knock on wood*. I get about 50 days a year in so mine sees a fair bit of use.

I've always left the controller outside the bag and I've always used only the lowest setting. Generally let them bake overnight

Maybe I just got a "good" one or something.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Have always had the controller out - thanks for the suggestions - a sunbeam xl heating pad fits almost perfectly so I'm good on 110 for now. Now to find an inverter that travels well

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Make sure that you don't source a fancy heating pad w/ digital controller - many of them have a auto-shutoff @ 2hrs which does not have a by-pass (learned the hard way this AM). Amazon, here I come. :)

Gerry

aka GerryF
Skier
MY HG bag is almost 3 yrs old, holding up ok... I used to leave it on when I skies to keep my street shoes warm :0 UNTIL it drained my battery in the Killington lot last year.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Well - back from a trip to ASE w/ the heating pad as a replacement for the actual HG heating element - used an XL one w/o auto shut off and had to cut the terry cloth cover off. The heating pad on its highest setting (Sunbeam BTW) was about as effective as the HG heating element on low. Works, barely if you need to use it to dry and your feet sweat alot. Good news is that HG finaly had some elements in stock and was able to order one, and it actually shipped. Bad news is that ordering a second element with the shipping it was a push vs. entire new bag from eBags with a discount code. So, I now have a "back-up" to the back-up.