• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heat molding shells and injected foam

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of S/Max's that have a very snug (borderline painful fit). I am wanting to get them fit with injected foam, but I'm not sure if and when I should custom mold the shells. What would you suggest? Heat Mold with the stock liner before getting foamed? Or get foamed and then heat mold? How much would you suggest padding in either scenario. I have tried on the S/Pros and they are too roomy out of the box. Previously, I've been in 98mm Salomons with foam and 6th toe punch, but no full shell molding.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will eventually put ZipFit in mine, but for now I’m using the stock liner. Oven molded the shell for the stock liner. Will ski that until I think it’s time to switch. That many to be till next season, the stock liner is working out just fine. Is there a specific reason for the foam job??

TS
Funkendrenchman

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
I will eventually put ZipFit in mine, but for now I’m using the stock liner. Oven molded the shell for the stock liner. Will ski that until I think it’s time to switch. That many to be till next season, the stock liner is working out just fine. Is there a specific reason for the foam job??

I've been in foam for 15 years. I've tried everything else - intuition, zipfit, stock liners - and nothing has the same amount of control as foam.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would ask the shop that does your liners. Hopefully they are a Salomon dealer and understands that plastic.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm in a similar boat, love my custom foam liners fitted to a non-moldable shell (antique), nothing else worked well. Looking at how well the custom foam worked with the non-moldable shell, I imagine it would be even better starting with a shell molded to the stock liner.
As I imagine it, the custom foam liner has a better ability to adapt to the shell, than the shell has to the liner, so I would do the foam liner last.
EDIT to add you still need a good boot fitter to make final touches after molding.

Marshall Barnes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm in an Atomic Redster CS and molded the boot before foaming. The boot was just too painful unmolded to ski for any more than a few runs at a time. When molding, I would pad on all necessary areas when the shells go in the oven. Then if there are still issues with fit I would pad on those pressure points. Make sure to always use a toe cap when molding or foaming though.

Sponsor

Staff online