• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heart Rate Monitors

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with Ron, that a very basic Garmin (some technology) Polar (no technology) would suit my needs best,Ft1 and Garmin 35 are possibilities. I prefer use of a chest strap as the results are more accurate. Minor % errors can screw up training with my aging heart. As I have no interest in wearing a watch 24/7, it will just be used during my training rides. Leaning to Polar, trying to justify a technology upgrade.
Did you find yourself an HRM?

I saw a review article show up in my news feed and thought of your thread. It's EU focused, but it's rare to see an article these days on HRM's with all the more advanced devices out there:
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guid...-measure-your-effort-and-improve-your-fitness

Like you, for years I used a cheap Polar or Timex watch on my handlebars while wearing a chest strap. The FT1 you mentioned seems like a great option if you just want to keep doing what you've been doing:
https://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/products/polar-ft1

For a little more money I'd suggest stepping up to a Garmin for the ease of keeping a training log. I used to write down my miles and HR details from my bike computer and watch, but now it's super easy having all my data transmitted via Bluetooth and automatically uploaded to the Garmin website. Same with skiing and all my other workouts. It's fantastic to have everything logged in one place with minimal effort.

As for a simple and relative cheap Garmin, the Forerunner 35 you also mentioned seems like a great option if you want to track other workouts in addition to cycling. The wrist-based HR is nice for all-day monitoring, but you still want a chest strap to see the accurate HR numbers you are accustomed to seeing while riding.

If you want a simple device just for your bike, I can highly recommend the Edge 25 that I got my wife. It's tiny for a GPS device, about the size of an old school bike computer.

I've been buying factory refurbished Garmin's and they've all been just like new and include a 1-year manufacturer warranty:
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-Cycling-Bluetooth-010-03709-20/dp/B0784ZZ2LW
https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-forerunner-35-black-with-heart-rate-monitor-(certified-refurbished)

If you want a Garmin watch that also tracks skiing, there are several mentioned in this thread:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/apple-watch-3-other-gps-smart-watches-and-ski-tracking.11475/page-2

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have tried lots of heart rate monitors, and the best I have tried is the Mio Fuse. I have worn it during a cardio stress test, and it was right on compared to the ECG I was hooked up to in the lab. I was pretty impressed.
On the other hand, the one on my Garmin Fénix 3HR is pretty useless.
I wonder if the Fenix 5 is any better.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you are doing longer workouts a HRM will be fine. Anything under 5 minutes duration and a watt meter will be a better tool for the job. Anytime, fort example, you have physiological testing by a thorough lab the increases in workload will come in 5-minute increments. Anything shorter than that and you have not metabolically plateaued yet.

I'm in the same place. I'm looking for simple, chest strap HRM. All that I need is time and HR. My vast majority of my workouts over this winter will be in the 125 - 140bpm range - and could be cycling, running, or Nordic skiing. My anaerobic metabolic function is the highest ever tested for my age category at our college's physiology lab. The flip side is that my aerobic metabolic efficiency sucks, and that's what I need to work on.

Where a HRM and watt meter will shine in my case is in reviewing HR to watt output ratios. If I see that on my longer 4 - 6 hour rides my watt output is dropped compared to HR it is time to take a few days off.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have tried lots of heart rate monitors, and the best I have tried is the Mio Fuse. I have worn it during a cardio stress test, and it was right on compared to the ECG I was hooked up to in the lab. I was pretty impressed.
On the other hand, the one on my Garmin Fénix 3HR is pretty useless.
I wonder if the Fenix 5 is any better.
It sounds like the F5 optical sensor is a bit improved from DC Rainmaker's in-depth review:

The Fenix 5 Elevate optical HR sensor is definitely improved over the first generation Garmin Elevate sensors (either via firmware or hardware) when it comes to cycling, but it still leaves a bit to be desired in this area. Personally, I’ll use a HR strap or other optical HR sensor (i.e. the Scosche) while cycling outdoors. For indoor trainer use, the Fenix 5 optical HR sensor seems just fine though (no vibrations on the road to screw it up).
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-fenix5-5s-5x-review.html#heart-rate-sensor-accuracy

A chest strap is going to be more accurate and reliable than any optical sensor (including your Mio). That's especially true on the bike from all the little vibrations. Any motion including running messes up mine. Did you have your hands on the treadmill during your stress test? It will be much more accurate that way.

I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR with wrist-based optical HR that I wear most the time. I think it's the same sensor as your F3. I put on a chest strap for most workouts and that's spot on while the optical sensor on my wrist can be all over the place. It does help a bit to really tighten the strap on the wrist bases sensor, though.

I'm sure you know, but you can pair your Fenix with a chest strap to override the optical sensor. Chest straps are out there dirt cheap. No reason to spend $$ on a Fenix 5 for more accurate heart rate unless you hate wearing a chest strap. I'm so used to them I feel naked working out without one.

I do like the wrist-based optical sensors for 24/7 heart rate monitoring. They are great for watching your resting heart rate over time, and very accurate when you are laying around. A increase in resting heart rate is often a really good indicator of fatigue and/or when you are getting sick.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm seeing strap based HRMs out there for $100. Any feedback? Anyone tried one? Thanks in advance.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Polar, best imo, is cheaper than 100

Thanks. I took a quick look on my tablet last night while binge watching Netflix. I just saw GPS / HR units that were more than I need.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I took a quick look on my tablet last night while binge watching Netflix. I just saw GPS / HR units that were more than I need.
I use a Polar strap and bluetooth module that attaches. It syncs with my I-Phone and apps (I use Wahoo). Compared to more professional stuff it gives reasonable results while being a simpler and cheaper solution than alternatives that come with more hardware which you don't really need for the simpler functions. Like you however for cycling I use a power meter so for that I'm with Garmin.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@martyg you can't sync a power meter with a cheap HRM nor with most of the lower end Garmin devices. They are coming down in price, but nothing about power meters is cheap. They are expensive themselves and also require a higher end head unit (bike computer or watch). There are lots of older devices out there like my Fenix 2 that can be found cheap and work great as a head unit, though.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
A chest strap is going to be more accurate and reliable than any optical sensor (including your Mio). That's especially true on the bike from all the little vibrations. Any motion including running messes up mine. Did you have your hands on the treadmill during your stress test? It will be much more accurate that way
HRM is a very individual thing. I have worn every heart rate monitor strap known to man, and I have tried several conducting gels to Try to enhance their accuracy. The bottom line is that the Mio works best for me.And no, I did not have my hands on the rails. I had my hand in front of my face so I could read the monitor. In fact it takes two hands to activate the monitor on the Mio Fuse. (And Ray gave it rave reviews too).
At any point, I know from my rate of perceived exertion more or less what my heart rate should be, and of all of the monitors I have tried, the Mio fuse is the most accurate and most convenient to wear. I pair it with my Garmin edge when on the bike.
Mine is several years old now, and I am curious as to whether the current model is even more accurate.
I hate having to switch watches to ride my bike, but I often do, because I don’t trust the HR on the Garmin Fenix.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@martyg you can't sync a power meter with a cheap HRM nor with most of the lower end Garmin devices. They are coming down in price, but nothing about power meters is cheap. They are expensive themselves and also require a higher end head unit (bike computer or watch). There are lots of older devices out there like my Fenix 2 that can be found cheap and work great as a head unit, though.

Thanks. My prescribed workout duration is 17 - 20 hours per week, with two days of 4 - 6 hours. I hope to split that between cycling, Nordic skiing, and running, so I'm probably going to rock a wrist unit.

My phone is on its last legs, and since I am retired and we don't have cell service will likely scuttle it for a sat text unit.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where a HRM and watt meter will shine in my case is in reviewing HR to watt output ratios. If I see that on my longer 4 - 6 hour rides my watt output is dropped compared to HR it is time to take a few days off.
On a long ride, you'll always see your HR go up for a given power level due to cardiac drift.
https://philmaffetone.com/fatigue-cardiac-drift/

I've found monitoring resting heart rate is really useful to indicate when you need more rest. You can buy a 24/7 HR device, or just log your pulse every morning like in the olden days. :)

Thanks. My prescribed workout duration is 17 - 20 hours per week, with two days of 4 - 6 hours. I hope to split that between cycling, Nordic skiing, and running, so I'm probably going to rock a wrist unit.

My phone is on its last legs, and since I am retired and we don't have cell service will likely scuttle it for a sat text unit.
17 - 20 hours per week is a lot of training!

Have you decided what you'll use for a power meter? That probably drives the budget and how much is left to buy a watch.

The least expensive power option many are not aware of is using "virtual power" for your power based workouts training indoors through trainerroad, zwift, or rovey:
https://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

If you use virtual power you wouldn't need a higher end watch that is power meter capable like a Fenix. You can upload your "virtual power" workout files to Garmin, TrainingPeaks, Strava or wherever.

Also note you don't really need a watch specifically designed for Nordic skiing, as you can log those workouts as runs on the watch then change them to Nordic skiing in the Garmin Connect app, at least if you are in the Garmin ecosystem and probably others.

There are lots of great options for real power meters if you are shopping. Probably be worthy of another thread.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
On a long ride, you'll always see your HR go up for a given power level due to cardiac drift.
https://philmaffetone.com/fatigue-cardiac-drift/

I've found monitoring resting heart rate is really useful to indicate when you need more rest. You can buy a 24/7 HR device, or just log your pulse every morning like in the olden days. :)

17 - 20 hours per week is a lot of training!

Have you decided what you'll use for a power meter? That probably drives the budget and how much is left to buy a watch.

The least expensive power option many are not aware of is using "virtual power" for your power based workouts training indoors through trainerroad, zwift, or rovey:
https://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

If you use virtual power you wouldn't need a higher end watch that is power meter capable like a Fenix. You can upload your "virtual power" workout files to Garmin, TrainingPeaks, Strava or wherever.

Also note you don't really need a watch specifically designed for Nordic skiing, as you can log those workouts as runs on the watch then change them to Nordic skiing in the Garmin Connect app, at least if you are in the Garmin ecosystem and probably others.

There are lots of great options for real power meters if you are shopping. Probably be worthy of another thread.

That's a very accurate number based on testing. I'm very familiar with cardiac drift.

I used to be a product developer in the industry. No lack of power meters - whatever I grab - whatever is convenient. I just don't need or want a feature rich chest strap enabled HRM watch if I don't need one.

Don't need to log anything - just need HR and time. Having a feature where I can set a target zone and look at cumulative time would be good.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No lack of power meters - whatever I grab - whatever is convenient. I just don't need or want a feature rich chest strap enabled HRM watch if I don't need one.

Don't need to log anything - just need HR and time. Having a feature where I can set a target zone and look at cumulative time would be good.
Will you need to display power on the watch or do you also have access to a head unit for the power meter? Displaying power forces you into one of the high-end watches. If not, it sounds like a low-end Polar is all you need.

Are you sure you don't want pace and distance from a watch that also has GPS? Those are a couple useful metrics you'll get from a low-end GPS watch over the Polar F1 without spending much more.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone wants a cheap ANT+ chest strap I can vouge for this one on ebay for $12.99!?!?!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Standard-Heart-Rate-Monitor-010-10997-00/253357307731

I received it a couple days ago and it looks and feels like it's a real Garmin:

MVIMG_20181017_164739.jpg

It came in bubble wrap with no packaging and no battery after about 2 weeks on the long journey from China.

My Fenix 2, Cycleops Joule 2.0, and USB ANT+ stick all pick up the heart rate signal great.

bike_computers.jpg

Out of curiosity and a fear these "hard straps" may be going extinct, I also ordered one from a different seller for the same crazy price. This one hasn't arrived yet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Garmin-Heart-Rate-Monitor-with-Regular-Strap-HRM-ANT/222765300310

Fair warning, you never really know what you are buying off ebay when the deal is too good to be true. It's an odd globalized free market we live in these days. ogsmile

Last edited:

Sponsor