• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heading to Breckenridge/Vail next week!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
As the title says - going to CO for a week with the family starting Jan 2nd (flying from Maine).

Mostly I'm looking for tips on which back bowls to hit at Vail, or where to avoid (looking for powder and to avoid standing in lift lines as much as possible - but that goes without saying).

Also, current plan is to bring my boots and rent skiis when I get there. Would love to hear if anyone has tips for what skiis to rent (I'm leaning something 100mm or above, and I tend to like a lighter ski).

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Seeing as how the last significant snow at Vail was Dec 24-25 and is only forecast to get maybe 1" on Jan 3, there's not likely any powder to be found while you're there. There'll definitely be chopped up ungroomed snow in most of the back bowls, so an all mountain ski would be best choice.

As for which bowls? Since you'll be there multiple days, why not try all of them that are open? That way, you decide which you want to repeat. I think that all the bowls will be open with only some black and double black runs closed due to rock exposure.

As for Breckenridge, a good amount of their upper terrain is likely closed due to lack of base snow. Takes a lot of snow to cover the rocks up top and they haven't had as much snowfall as Vail has.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hearing that Vail is in the best shape of any resort in that part of Colorado. Here's some commentary about Vail, Breck and other mtns in that area. It includes some ideas on parking for the day if you are staying off-mountain.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mostly I'm looking for tips on which back bowls to hit at Vail, or where to avoid (looking for powder and to avoid standing in lift lines as much as possible - but that goes without saying).
Hit them all... they're likely to be in similar shape along with Blue Sky Basin which opened this past week. Trees in some of the bowls can hold decent snow when everything is tracked out (the trees will be too, but maybe not so tracked out).

As far as lift lines... use the app or the sign boards at the top of the lifts which will give real-time wait times at all the lifts. If you're willing to go where lift lines are smaller, you can avoid a lot of lines. But you might not get where you want to go.

4 (Mountain Top Express) and 11 (Northwoods) tend to be the worst lines in general, though 2 (Avanti) and 7 (Game Creek) can be bad. And if there's new snow, the back bowl lifts can get bad too depending on which are running.

Last edited:
TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Hit them all... they're likely to be in similar shape along with Blue Sky Basin which opened this past week. Trees in some of the bowls can hold decent snow when everything is tracked out (the trees will be too, but maybe not so tracked out).

As far as lift lines... use the app or the sign boards at the top of the lifts which will give real-time wait times at all the lifts. If you're willing to go where lift lines are smaller, you can avoid a lot of lines. But you might not get where you want to go.

4 (Mountain Top Express) and 11 (Northwoods) tend to be the worst lines in general, though 2 (Avanti) and 7 (Game Creek) can be bad. And if there's new snow, the back bowl lifts can get bad too depending on which are running.

Real-time wait times!? Now that's some fancy stuff ... its good to know this hole in my wallet is going somewhere.

And thank you thank you - avoid Mountain Top and Northwoods - got it. My ideal is to just stick to the bowls/trees for the whole trip :) I'm willing to bet even the least popular bowl has the current NE conditions beat.

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Seeing as how the last significant snow at Vail was Dec 24-25 and is only forecast to get maybe 1" on Jan 3, there's not likely any powder to be found while you're there. There'll definitely be chopped up ungroomed snow in most of the back bowls, so an all mountain ski would be best choice.

As for which bowls? Since you'll be there multiple days, why not try all of them that are open? That way, you decide which you want to repeat. I think that all the bowls will be open with only some black and double black runs closed due to rock exposure.

As for Breckenridge, a good amount of their upper terrain is likely closed due to lack of base snow. Takes a lot of snow to cover the rocks up top and they haven't had as much snowfall as Vail has.

Well if we can't get powder, then I'll just hope for blue skies ... If I can get the rest of my crew on the same page then we just skip Breck all together - more time to go bowl hopping.

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
I'm hearing that Vail is in the best shape of any resort in that part of Colorado. Here's some commentary about Vail, Breck and other mtns in that area. It includes some ideas on parking for the day if you are staying off-mountain.

Good tip! I believe we're staying in Frisco - so Breck is closer, but Vail sounds like the place to be.

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Let us know how that goes.

Happy to report, mission accomplished! On Friday the Vail back bowls got at least 8 inches in 24 hrs. My friends and I scoped out the backside most of the morning and settled on Sun Down Bowl and almost had white out conditions! Plenty of powder buildup in the trees - and best of all, no lines at all! We lapped Sun Down for the day and had an absolute blast.

@dbostedo You were right, Mountain Top Express had the longest lines, but it seems like most of the Vail crowd are scared to venture into "Variable Conditions". Once we scooted over to the back of the mountain we hardly saw anyone the rest of the day.

We mostly stuck to Game Creek the day before. Earlier in the week hadn't had much snowfall, and those were the best conditions we found, especially around the trees.

Breckenridge was absolutely horrible at the beginning of the week. Felt like a bad New England ice day, and the demo skis I got certainly didn't have a sharp edge. The whole afternoon was a sh*t show of people sliding out left and right. One trail had 6 people sliding down on their asses all at once haha. We skied Breck on Sunday with much more success. Once the T-Bar opened there was plenty of first tracks to be had up in the bowl.

IMG_5950.jpeg

Sun Down Bowl - we were smiling ear to ear!

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 2.25.48 PM.png

A quick snap from the 'glades' at Vail - I wish I got some pics from places that weren't tracked yet.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 2.36.59 PM.png

Top of the T-Bar at Breckenridge on Sunday afternoon - this was after a few runs already, it was even more pristine in the morning.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo You were right, Mountain Top Express had the longest lines, but it seems like most of the Vail crowd are scared to venture into "Variable Conditions". Once we scooted over to the back of the mountain we hardly saw anyone the rest of the day.

Awesome! I too have found that you can usually find uncrowded areas at Vail, particularly on weekdays. The days you really can't are a bit of an exception.

Did you make it to Blue Sky Basin?

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Awesome! I too have found that you can usually find uncrowded areas at Vail, particularly on weekdays. The days you really can't are a bit of an exception.

Did you make it to Blue Sky Basin?

Hmmm we went down to the Tea Cup lift from China Bowl, if that counts as Blue Sky? From someone else on the forum they said BSB was good, but in the morning the bottom felt like shrubs/rocks with a smattering of cover. My friend who was using her own skis instead of demos was none too pleased ... so she steered us back to Sun Down for the rest of the day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm we went down to the Tea Cup lift from China Bowl, if that counts as Blue Sky?
Sorta? Like saying you went skiing because you slid around the base area. :ogbiggrin:

Tea Cup lift itself isn't part of BSB, but you were right there by the Skyline lift into BSB.

Sponsor

Staff online