• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Headaches after skiing

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the same issue after running long distances and long bike ride despite adequate hydration. I have no idea what caused the headaches.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
- Could be blood sugar imbalances rather than calorie deficit.
- You mention hydrating/electrolyte-ing afterwards, what about before...a day or two before?
- Could have something to do with altitude, have you tried Boost O2, before, during, after skiing?

Disclaimer: I do not give medical advice as a profession.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have this occur now and then. Sun exposure all day can contribute. And of course not enough water, but we know this.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This used to happen to me when playing paintball regularly. The next day I'd have a headache. I was told to hydrate, which I did, but still got the headaches. Another person said I wasn't eating enough during the day so I started eating more, especially protein. Problem solved. You should see a doctor but in the meantime you should try eating more and see if it helps.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
External pressure on the head can also cause headaches. Incorrectly fitting helmets, goggle straps, face masks, skull caps, ear muffs, neck gaiters and pony tails can all take their toll when applied too tightly.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Everyone says that they are hydrating enough. Is anyone weighing themselves immediately before and after? If not, then you don't have a metric to base your assumption against.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Speaking as someone whose migraines are due to barometric pressure changes, are these headaches as you descend? Just something to think about.

I also get 17% (yes, really, I've measured it) more migraines in Denver than I do at home. Just saying. (I think it's the traffic, but maybe it's the altitude, who knows? Dryness? It's not just the fact that it's not "home".)

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Speaking as someone whose migraines are due to barometric pressure changes, are these headaches as you descend? Just something to think about.

I also get 17% (yes, really, I've measured it) more migraines in Denver than I do at home. Just saying. (I think it's the traffic, but maybe it's the altitude, who knows? Dryness? It's not just the fact that it's not "home".)

Unfortunately, I'm quite familiar with migraine headaches. A few years back, I discovered "Barometric Pressure Headaches" were a real thing that some people are susceptible to. In my case, I tend to get a headache when there's a big shift in 'baro pressure (eg: storm front moves in/out, inversion onset/subsides, etc). A 'baro headache can also be triggered by altitude change. We live at modest altitude (~3500ft). Both the wife & I often get some sort of headache when returning home after spending several days at-or-below sea level. Oddly though, I don't get a headache after skiing (usually at an altitude of around 6000-10,000ft).

Blood pressure can also be a factor. Some folks have altitude sensitivity that spikes their BP - and that can cause a headache while at altitude or after.

In any case, if you are usually having a headache after skiing, it's best to check with your 'doc. Your body is trying to tell you something needs attention.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Withdrawl...easy answer don't stop skiing. :thumb:

How much caffeine does OP ingest on a ski day? What about days after skiing? In the 1990s I used to get caffeine withdrawal headaches every Saturday because it was a day I didn't normally have caffeinated drinks after doing so M-F at work. I finally figured it out after a tip from a coworker and reduced M-F caffeine.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Random observation: My dad has more trouble breathing at night here in the Denver area (~5k feet altitude) than he does in Park City (~8k feet). This experiment has been repeated, as we have relatives in Park City. :huh:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know somebody who died of hyponatremia after a long bike ride. It is a dangerous thing that more people should be aware of.

There are so many possible variables that could be the cause of the OP’s headaches, so I agree he should see a doctor.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I skied hard in powder two days ago, and focused on hydrating even more, with some added electrolytes (Nuun). I continued hydrating more than normal through the day after, and ate more protein. That seemed to help, as I didn’t get a headache.

Earlier in the week, I skied in very cold weather at Breck (3° at the top, -15° wind chill). It was after that day I had the headache and posted here. I wonder if I was dehydrated even though I hydrated really well. Skiing in those temps may just be hard on my body?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How much caffeine does OP ingest on a ski day? What about days after skiing? In the 1990s I used to get caffeine withdrawal headaches every Saturday because it was a day I didn't normally have caffeinated drinks after doing so M-F at work. I finally figured it out after a tip from a coworker and reduced M-F caffeine.
If I miss my coffee I usually have a headache around 5pm. It's real.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I miss my coffee I usually have a headache around 5pm. It's real.

Many years ago I tried to go cold turkey on caffeine because I didn't like the thought of being addicted to anything. I get migraines and the headaches after I stopped drinking caffeine were brutal. I decided that I really liked coffee and there are worse things to be addicted to.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Many years ago I tried to go cold turkey on caffeine because I didn't like the thought of being addicted to anything. I get migraines and the headaches after I stopped drinking caffeine were brutal. I decided that I really liked coffee and there are worse things to be addicted to.

I took it in the opposite direction. In my early 20s, I got sick of waking up on weekends with brutal headaches. Quit cold turkey. Years later, I now sometimes allow myself a little slack - a Thai iced tea, say, or a chai when they don't have decaf (most restaurants don't). But I have a rule never to treat caffeine medicinally. It works for me.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyone says that they are hydrating enough. Is anyone weighing themselves immediately before and after? If not, then you don't have a metric to base your assumption against.
Yes. Obsessive about weighing.

Sponsor

Staff online