• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Headaches after skiing

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve noticed this season I’ve been getting headaches the day after skiing often. I don’t think it’s dehydration, as I drink plenty of water and electrolytes afterwards. Is it likely a result of the calorie deficit from a full day of skiing in the cold? Maybe I’m not eating enough the day after? Thoughts on how to handle this?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1) Where are you skiing and where is home where you sleep that night? what are the altitudes? Is this your regular house or someplace you are visiting? What is the humidity. Are you sleeping well or poorly.
2) Do you get the same when you do strenuous non-skiing activity, with what variables are the same and what different?
3) If you think it's nutrition, what are you eating on your ski day, before during and after? Do you lose weight after you ski?

Advise:
1) Ski less on a day, but more days and more often, ramping up to see if you get acclimated.
2) Don't drink a whole bottle red wine during après

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
1) Where are you skiing and where is home where you sleep that night? what are the altitudes? Is this your regular house or someplace you are visiting? What is the humidity. Are you sleeping well or poorly.
2) Do you get the same when you do strenuous non-skiing activity, with what variables are the same and what different?
3) If you think it's nutrition, what are you eating on your ski day, before during and after? Do you lose weight after you ski?

Advise:
1) Ski less on a day, but more days and more often, ramping up to see if you get acclimated.
2) Don't drink a whole bottle red wine during après

-Live in Denver, ski (day trips) to Summit, Eagle, etc resorts.
-Sleeping well.
-Sometimes after a big hike, IE: 13er or 14er
-Food during ski day: coffee, smoothie, oatmeal with blueberries, sandwich at lunch, 2 cliff bars during skiing, hot chocolate, almonds, and apple on way home, then a balanced dinner like chicken and veggies. No alcohol.
-Food next day: pretty much the same, no hot chocolate.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Water

Water

Water

Headaches are your brain shrinking away from your skull (expedient visual)
Skiing is a water depleting activity.

Drink more water

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
-Live in Denver, ski (day trips) to Summit, Eagle, etc resorts.
-Sleeping well.
-Sometimes after a big hike, IE: 13er or 14er
-Food during ski day: coffee, smoothie, oatmeal with blueberries, sandwich at lunch, 2 cliff bars during skiing, hot chocolate, almonds, and apple on way home, then a balanced dinner like chicken and veggies. No alcohol.
-Food next day: pretty much the same, no hot chocolate.

Definitely not a calorie deficit, But I do not see a drop of liquid

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Headaches are also blood vessels expanding in a brain with a rigid casing.

Are you suggesting a "ski related headache cure" based on rigid casing? I'm all ears!
But,' will go for the "drink more water" therapy first, just to see if it works.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have about half my body weight in ounces. My urine runs clear. That’s how much water. And it makes me piss a ton.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Possible Cervical mis-alignment. Have a Chiropractor take a look especially if pain relieve meds don't help much.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It sounds like an altitude thing.

While I used to expound hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, I have read (I don't recall where) that it is possible to over-hydrate with respect to addressing altitude. I agree with @CalG to consult with your doctor. Other useful data would be your O2 level before, during and after activity. Oximeters are not expensive and a useful tool. You may want to consult a doctor in the high country as they are likely to have more experience with visitors with similar symptoms than your Denver doc.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Do you eat Clif bars when not skiing or hiking? I know they are marketed as "health food" but in reality they're organic candy bars so maybe one of the ingredients is causing you some grief. Soy protein isolate? Natural flavors? It's the one thing that stands out as different in your diet.

Have you changed vehicles? Had work done on your vehicle? My second thought is maybe your vehicle is allowing exhaust or other fumes into the passenger compartment and even thought the levels are low your long exposure to it is triggering the headaches.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I used to get post bike ride headaches when I would just bring water. I switched to Skratch which has all the electrolytes and tastes a whole lot better than Gatorade. I imagine it might help to work a 21 oz squeeze bottle into your intake plan for the day.

Sponsor

Staff online