• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
For sale $525 + shipping

Head World Cup Rebels iSpeed Skis (2018)
  • EVO 14 bindings included ( + free mount)
  • Never skied
  • Initial base prep performed by @Doug Briggs at A Racers Edge in Breckenridge
Specs:
  • 175cm
  • 118-68-99
  • 17.0 radius
Marketing copy:

The Head Worldcup Rebels i.Speed was built for everyone who has ever wondered just how fast they can go. Whether your carving down the Swiss Alps, hitting top speeds on the East Coast, or flying by tourist in Colorado the WC Rebels i.Speed has a place on your race track. Head's Worldcup Sandwich Cap Construction combines a light Graphene material with two layers of titanal giving you ultimate performance and precision. The core also includes a dampening layer which helps to absorb any vibration, making for a smooth chatter-free ride. Don't worry, the Worldcup Rebels i.Speed is not without KERS technology which transfers energy to the tail making it stiffer as you come through your turn, the result - maximum acceleration.

Skis are the World Cup iSpeed model using the EVO FreeFlex system instead of the full race plate.

Skis are still in Breckenridge with @Doug Briggs. If you'd like them mounted I will include paying to have them mounted by Doug.

Skis can be picked up in Breckenridge or shipped to your location. Actual shipping cost to be paid by buyer.

Last I looked the price at $575 WITH BINDINGS including mount for this excellent set of skis is well below current retail.

Cash or Paypal only please.

Donation to Pugski of $25 will be made upon sale.

Head_WCRebel_iSpeed_175_2018_bothskis_rotated.jpg Head_WCRebel_iSpeed_175_2018_dimensions.jpg Head_WCRebel_iSpeed_175_2018_model.jpg image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Price dropped to $525 which includes bindings, mount, and Pugski donation.

James

Out There
Instructor
Very nice setup for those looking for that length.

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very nice setup for those looking for that length.

What is the use case for these skis? If I can find a good reason I just may keep them. The original idea was they'd be the hard snow ski to complement my pair of mid-fats. I also thought they'd be useful for running GS races in the Midwest for me at 5'7" and 150 pounds. The length was my biggest reservation for my own use but I was sure they'd be great at gripping ice and carving GS and tighter turns.

After I bought these I upgraded my plans to include some races in Colorado. Then @ScotsSkier sold me a pair of 189/30m FIS W skis and the reason to have the Head iSpeeds fell apart.

Who are they good for?

For myself I think the GS race/rec slot is filled. Even though the FIS skis are 30m it's no problem getting them tighter than that and I love skiing them. If the 17m Head WCR iSpeed are just as flexible then I'd guess they can be bent down to slalom turns. Would fill a need but not a good enough reason for me to keep them though.

If they aren't good for me then what type skier would these fit? Thoughts are:
  • Skier (male or female) of light to mid-weight for recreational front-side carving
  • Skier of light weight for Nastar and Beer League racing
These make sense? What other skier types also make sense?

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you run any gates with both the WC Rebels and the FIS's for a time comparison in NASTAR-type courses?

James

Out There
Instructor
They're definitely good for you at 5'7,150 lbs and midwest skiing. It's like they were made for you. Give them a go!
A 188/30m doesn't really replace these. Use these for a daily ripper and perhaps beer league/nastar.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My guess is that the masters skiing a women’s FIS GS ski, the 188/30 are generally skiing FIS course sets, and if skiing the skis well, have some skill. Think @ScotsSkier, who races at the National level and coaches two masters programs. He knows his stuff.

I actually bought my first pair of 180cm I.speeds from him. He was selling them for a friend, who he coached. This guy had bought them as a masters GS ski. Mistake. SS had warned him that he would be double turning and hooking up. This was NOT beer league or NASTAR racing.

I am on my fourth pair. I still have pair one as rock skis. I bought them to free ski. My race days ended long ago. But I ski with today’s race technique in a plug boot. My home hill is where this year’s US speed Nationals will be held again. We tend to ski steep buffed terrain.

I can bend the ski into a smaller shape if I want. My latest two are I.speed pros with race plates and bindings. For me....I love these skis. In the East, I ski 80% plus of my days on them.

I have been gifted a 193/30 GS, and a 194{topsheet says 191}/29 Skier Cross. Both real deal WC stock. They are very different, but both like a lot of room, both were purpose built for one purpose. I only ski them midweek when nobody is on the hill.

By contrast I find the i.speeds to a great free ski. Despite the layup, with their size and dimensions, not a race ski. I DO think they would be a great beer league weapon.

I also think the 180cm skis “better” in the ski than the skis either side of it size wise, depending on pilot size. Have heard that expressed by more than a few. But at the OP’s size, the 175 might just be a perfect ski for him in the Midwest. I’d keep it and try it, myself.

At this price...a GREAT deal, BTW.

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you run any gates with both the WC Rebels and the FIS's for a time comparison in NASTAR-type courses?

No I have never run them. They are unskied. I'd think the flatter the course and the closer the gates would be where the Rebels might have an advantage over the longer FIS. But no real world tests to this point.

This guy had bought them as a masters GS ski. Mistake. SS had warned him that he would be double turning and hooking up. This was NOT beer league or NASTAR racing.

I had read that advice in multiple threads but went ahead and bought the skis because 1) at that time @ScotsSkier hadn't posted his latest sale and 2) thought they'd be good for midwest/nastar as mentioned by James.

They're definitely good for you at 5'7,150 lbs and midwest skiing. It's like they were made for you. Give them a go!
A 188/30m doesn't really replace these. Use these for a daily ripper and perhaps beer league/nastar.

That's the rationale that got them bought in the first place. Just a question of resource ($) allocation. With more resources they wouldn't be for sale. Makes it easy to stay firm on price below a certain point though because I am sure I will like them if I keep them for myself.

Also wondering if they might be a good ski for one of my young adult daughters to ski. They are smaller and lighter by several inches and tens of pounds. Not experts yet though so this ski may be too much. Not sure on that point.

Thanks to all for the input!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I hate it when something like this pops up after I already bought new skis this year. They look great for what @Muleski said they would be great for a daily driver in New England.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
My wife (ex FIS, US Masters champ in SG, 6x speed series SG/DH champ & currently racing Euro masters this season) won the Killington World Cup Wednesday league on the 170 version last year smoking all but the top dudes. Just saying.

Open to trades, I bet she could use these.

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife (ex FIS, US Masters champ in SG, 6x speed series SG/DH champ & currently racing Euro masters this season) won the Killington World Cup Wednesday league on the 170 version last year smoking all but the top dudes. Just saying.

Open to trades, I bet she could use these.

Was hoping to sell them outright but I'd entertain a trade. Still uncertain on what else I need for this season though so if you're interested let's touch base in a week or two.

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Head World Cup Rebels iSpeed Skis (2018) are no longer for sale. I've decided to keep them and use them myself. Thanks to all who commented and helped with the decision. Also thanks to @Doug Briggs for going beyond the call of duty to help me try to get these sold.

psygars

Booting up
Skier
Just following up to see how the these worked out for you, skix. I find myself in a similar situation (5’8, 170; looking for a beer league ski, etc.). Are you happy with your decision? Thanks

TS
skix

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just following up to see how the these worked out for you, skix. I find myself in a similar situation (5’8, 170; looking for a beer league ski, etc.). Are you happy with your decision? Thanks

Short answer is that I like the Head WCR iSpeed 175cm skis and think they are a good fit for my height/weight/skills. Bit longer answer would bring in uncertainty if I should have gone longer. For you I'd point to the opinions of others on this forum that the 180 length in particular is well-regarded. You're heavier than me so I'd say take that advice and get the longer length if you buy a pair.

I have a total of 8 days on the skis. Points of comparison for me are that during this season I've also been on 103cm Atomic Rituals and 193cm Rossignol FIS W GS skis at the same places. You probably won't be surprised that for soft snow the mid-fats are better than the Rebels and that on ice I prefer the FIS GS. The difference in edge hold as compared to the FIS isn't the difference I noticed though. It was the softer flex of the FIS that I liked better. But the Heads have no apologies to make. Give them to Ted Ligety and he could use them to carve turns I only aspire to make. Point being the skis being good enough is unlikely to be a problem for many people including me.

I've had them out at the following three ski areas:

ABasin
I've skied the Head WCR iSpeeds a total of 6 days at ABasin. The scale of how good they are on day varies inversely with the depth of fresh snow. They rock on hard groomers but I managed to sink them when I chased my daughter into a flat section of untouched powder. The groomers at ABasin were another reason I felt I needed a ski like the iSpeed. Trying to get down the groomers on dull 103mm skis while dodging other skiers is ... tedious. But I've had a blast on the Heads at ABasin when conditions are hard or trails crowded. I can hook them up and arc where I want instead of having to skid/brake all the time like with the mid-fats.

Cooper
The only day I skied these at Cooper there was fresh snow on top of fresh snow. Awesome day with the family but compared to the 103mm Atomic Rituals I'd had for a powder day at Cooper earlier in the season these skinny skis were alot of work. Usable for sure but not the conditions for which they were designed to shine.

Perfect North
I'd have a hard time finding a better ski for typical conditions at this small hill in southeastern Indiana. The surface is usually hard and trails are short. The day we were there I was able to carve at will on the Head WCR iSpeeds. The mid-fats were left unwanted in the car.

psygars

Booting up
Skier
Many thanks for the welcome and your helpful response, skix. I haven’t been able to demo these and was also wondering about the length. I did have a chance to get some time on the Redster G9s in 177, which seemed just right - so I’m kind of uncertain about the Rebels... Thanks so much again.

Sponsor

Staff online