• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head V shape V-10 or Head monster 83X?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You are joking I hope. Think Tom Brady knocks back a couple at halftime? Labron? Daly destroyed a golf career. The only thing that is altered is ones perception of reality- not reality.

My own personnel (and rather extensive) experience with both of the above makes me agree with KG.
Elsie Johnson was killed in a collision with Craig Shirley at Hogadon in 2010. Five years old. Maybe you have seen the posters or ads in some of the print media.? " She was five. You were doing fifty". Toxicologists report showed that he had cannibanoids in his system at the time of the collision. Concluded that he was not performing a criminal act at the time of the wreck. Guess no roach or one hitter found laying next to him at the scene? If he would have lived how do you think the jury would feel about that information at a manslaughter trial? This occurred on an empty slope. what would happen if the hill was crowded? Would you encourage folks to knock back a couple prior to driving home during rush hour? Or dropping a little scorcerer's apprentice? Yeah right! People aren't equipped with air bags, belts, or crumple zones. If you wouldn't want your wife and kids on the road then, why would you want that on the mountain?
I’m definitely not recommending it but I have known a couple of people that could pull off amazing athletic feats while tripping that they couldn’t otherwise.:huh: None of the things they could do were as high risk as skiing however.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
I like to ski at Keystone or Beaver Creek. Last year, I skied the Rossignol Hero elite Plus mostly. I am leaning towards the V10 for sure but a shop I deal with would like for me to at least demo 3 skis plus the V10. The Kastle Proto, Kastle Supra, and the Deacon 84. It will be interesting to see. I will be patient and demo all of them before I make up my mind on the V10. I have been on the MX88 and MX83 a few years ago. The Deacon 76 pro was fun but not what I would want all day. The Supra I saw in the store and it has zero weight to it. Big difference in prices.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like to ski at Keystone or Beaver Creek. Last year, I skied the Rossignol Hero elite Plus mostly. I am leaning towards the V10 for sure but a shop I deal with would like for me to at least demo 3 skis plus the V10. The Kastle Proto, Kastle Supra, and the Deacon 84. It will be interesting to see. I will be patient and demo all of them before I make up my mind on the V10. I have been on the MX88 and MX83 a few years ago. The Deacon 76 pro was fun but not what I would want all day. The Supra I saw in the store and it has zero weight to it. Big difference in prices.
Unless you are demoing all of the skis on the same day in the same conditions, it is going to be tough to make a fair comparision. Yes, the Proto and Supra are significantly more..2.5X more, plus you need to add a binding. The Deacon 84 has the similar power of the 76, so it wouldn't be an all day ski for you either.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
Rule out the deacon 84 then lol . The Supra and Proto are at the same shop. I would try them on the same runs. The Supras are crazy expensive and no discounts, the Proto I can find the 2019 discounted a little.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, and so is the S/Force and neither are light but have the attributes you are looking for. If you want light, in most cases there will be a cost in the performance. If you are willing to pay that cost in dollars, I would assume so since you considered the Stockli AR, take a look at the upcoming Renoun Atlas 80. With Renoun's 100 day guarantee, there is little risk.

I read through this whole thread, and I think @David Edwards misunderstood Phil’s post here. The Renoun Atlas 80 is NOT a Stockli, it is a Renoun. Different ski, different construction. It seems like the OP thought it was a Stockli model which is why he dismissed it out of hand. If he considers it, it opens up a very good option, IMO.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
if I see them in the shop, I will try them. I did not think they were stockli skis

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
Already planning my leave from work to demo. V10 and Kastle Proto for sure

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
Head vs Renoun is a good vacation. Then the Kastle Proto demo just before christmas.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"Weed is much better than alcohol getting you into “the zone”. Mushrooms or LSD can work even better for some people."

Uh...NO. I just spent many hours operating on a person who did some acid and then thought flying off a freeway overpass was possible....

"It could be a express ticket to the ER or the morgue........Even watched someone died in front of me...."

Yup--been there done that; watched a dude drink and smoke a joint on the chair lift, then fatally smack into a tree at high speed a few hundred yards down the slope.

I was on call this past 4th of July--for 17 of the 20 cases I treated in the ED and OR that weekend, the patient was high at the time of injury, with extremely high THC levels on tox screening at admission.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
I would rather watch a ski video/movie and get in the zone. drinking and weed on the slopes is a no go.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Back to the OP (can we?). I know little about skiing, and I am not a gear guy, so take this with a grain of salt. But you might want to consider a different category of skis for the second part of the day. Perhaps something more like the Nordica enforces in the mid-range widths. Basically, an all mountain ski that is easier to pivot around, but that can also be put on edge?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to take a chance and step down into a ski range that might just be fun for more than a few runs. I have been on the Fischer curv GT, Head Titan, Head Rally, Head Monster 88, Nordica GT 84, Blizzard quattro RX, Volkl Deacon 76, Stockli Laser AR and the Rossignol Hero Elite TI Plus. Those have been the kinds of skis I tend to gravitate towards and love them for part of the day. After lunch I just can't relax on any of them. I was told to try the Head V10 or Monster 83x ( I did demo the 83x 2018 with the new shape in a 170 cm; being 200 pounds it seemed a little short). Now, I have owned some of the above skis and some were just demo skis for the day. The Rossignol was a really impressive ski for what type of ski it is. On the other end, the Monster 88 did nothing for me. I really want to just go all light this year and see if it gives me a more relaxing day. Head LYT Shape V10 and Head LYT 130 RS ski boots is the combo I have in mind so far. Not too wide, and not too demanding- or so I hope. I am 5'11 200 and looking at the V10 in a 177cm.
Time to dream about the winter season!

Dave
I’m not sure how much I weigh but somewhere between 84 and 90kg I’d say. Multiply x 2.2 to get to pounds.

I own the Head Monster 83 and love it. Mine is the 170cm and at that length it is a short to medium turn carving ski with some off piste capability.

People talk about it being a demanding ski, but I don’t see it that way. Having said that most of my recent skis are purported to be more on the demanding end (Salomon QLab, Blizzard Brahma, DPS wailer 105 T2). So maybe it just feels less demanding by comparison? But the honest truth is I find it a firm, predictable carving ski with some all mountain capability. Full stop.

Maybe if you’re mainly skidding your skis these aren’t the right ones, but I’d think they’re perfect for most of the members of these forums.

Sponsor

Staff online