• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head V shape V-10 or Head monster 83X?

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
I am going to take a chance and step down into a ski range that might just be fun for more than a few runs. I have been on the Fischer curv GT, Head Titan, Head Rally, Head Monster 88, Nordica GT 84, Blizzard quattro RX, Volkl Deacon 76, Stockli Laser AR and the Rossignol Hero Elite TI Plus. Those have been the kinds of skis I tend to gravitate towards and love them for part of the day. After lunch I just can't relax on any of them. I was told to try the Head V10 or Monster 83x ( I did demo the 83x 2018 with the new shape in a 170 cm; being 200 pounds it seemed a little short). Now, I have owned some of the above skis and some were just demo skis for the day. The Rossignol was a really impressive ski for what type of ski it is. On the other end, the Monster 88 did nothing for me. I really want to just go all light this year and see if it gives me a more relaxing day. Head LYT Shape V10 and Head LYT 130 RS ski boots is the combo I have in mind so far. Not too wide, and not too demanding- or so I hope. I am 5'11 200 and looking at the V10 in a 177cm.
Time to dream about the winter season!

Dave

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm. The V10 in the 177 will ski big, I am err was your size, 5'11" 200 when I skied the V10 last season and I prefered it in the 170...a length that you are feeling to be too short...which I can understand. If you want that 177-180 length, the Monster 83 would be a better option of these two. I would not dismiss other good skis in this class like the Salomon S/Force Bold and Fischer RC86 either though.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
How good a skier are you? I ask, because I found the V10 to have a seriously low ceiling. I over-powered it very easy with my 190 lbs. I would characterize it as a beginners ski almost, intermediate at best.
Last years' Monsters, on the other hand, I found quite demanding at times. Not very playfull or light to ski. The new Fischer RC One 86 GT might be a good option.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
I thought the Fischer RC One 86 GT was in the same class as say the Titan or Blizzard Quattro? I would like to try light and metal free

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought the Fischer RC One 86 GT was in the same class as say the Titan or Blizzard Quattro? I would like to try light and metal free
Yes, and so is the S/Force and neither are light but have the attributes you are looking for. If you want light, in most cases there will be a cost in the performance. If you are willing to pay that cost in dollars, I would assume so since you considered the Stockli AR, take a look at the upcoming Renoun Atlas 80. With Renoun's 100 day guarantee, there is little risk.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
Phil,
I am getting older and slower. Demanding skis just wear me out. I do like stockli but they are too expensive and not an easy ride. Tried both the AX and AR last year.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
If you want a less tiring ski in the mid-fat range, I would like to suggest the Völkl Kanjo. Most lighter skis specifically made to be light weight either lack the support for some-one your size, OR they have a ton of carbon in them, whitch can make them feel stiff and not very damp - even more tiring to ski IMO. So I would not zoom in on construction as such, but rather on how easy skis are to ski without becoming unstable.
The Völkl Kanjo is in that category, the Rossignol Experience 84 Ai is too. The Salomn XDR 80 might be a candidate as well.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In the Head line, what about the Kore 93 if you want a lighter ski? I've haven't been on one, just the 105, which I wouldn't say is a cruiser ski, but the 93 does skis different. :huh:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Curious to see how this unfolds. I picked up a pair of the V10s last year specifically for non-bottomless fresh snow days, and they were exactly what I was hoping for, but they definitely suffered in firmer snow conditions, including spring slop. End result: more work. Caveat: the OP has 50 lbs. more weight than I do.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
In the Head line, what about the Kore 93 if you want a lighter ski? I've haven't been on one, just the 105, which I wouldn't say is a cruiser ski, but the 93 does skis different. :huh:
I was thinking the same thing but it seemed he was looking for a bit narrower. I love my Kore 93s. They are super light and easy to ski, carve well on groomers and are wide enough to give decent float. I’m on 171s but probably should be on 180s. My concern would be I am 5’ 8” 155 lb and I’m not sure they’d be beefy enough for someone significantly larger.

TS
D

David Edwards

Putting on skis
Skier
I need to drop a few pounds I guess. 200 and muscular is not a good fit for the V10 it sounds like. Maybe get stronger and beg for the stockli Laser AR for X-mas. I did ski that one last year for a few runs. Not as demanding as the Curv GT for sure but I would need more time on it to determine if its a good middle ground.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I demoed the V10 in 177cm and I liked it but it kinda felt like a mid range ski (in build quality and feel). I much preferred the Monster 88's in 177cm which felt just as easy but a LOT smoother and damp, Kastle like in fact. I also though the Kore 93's in 180cm were fantastic. Super easy to ski but stable enough for cut up snow. The Kores are light skis but stiff. In fact I though the Kore 99's were way too stiff for the weight. The 93's were my favorite (I demoed the 93, 99 and 105 Kores) since they felt very balanced.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
What is your everyday ski now? @Cheizz mentioned Rossignol Experience, in my experience they would be worth a demo. The new Experience models are something special.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I would consider the Nordica Enforcer 88's--these were one of my favorite skis last year; the other option which might be nice is the new Blizzard Brahma 82.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would consider the Nordica Enforcer 88's--these were one of my favorite skis last year; the other option which might be nice is the new Blizzard Brahma 82.
The Brahma 82 is going to want your attention and not a ski that wants to you to ski relaxed on.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Phil,
I am getting older and slower. Demanding skis just wear me out. I do like stockli but they are too expensive and not an easy ride. Tried both the AX and AR last year.

I think you would love the Liberty Evolv 90 in 179cm. They were easy but very capable skis. Loved them.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A couple of seasons ago I was all set to get Head Kore 93 and then the Head rep showed up with 170cm V10. I found the V10 to be similar in long radius turns to the Kore 93 and superior to the Kore 93 in short radius turns. But what won out for the Kore 93 was how stable it was at speed compared to the V10.

Kore 93 is lightweight and stiff but doesn't ski like a stiff ski because it is so light. And it doesn't ski like a lightweight ski because it is damp like a heavy metal ski, but has no metal. People either don't like them or they love them. They are my soft snow and powder ski and preformed quite well last season several times in boot top to shin deep and some knee deep dry western powder.

Sponsor