• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
So, I now have 2018 Titans...

To assess tuning I retracted the brakes & then put the skis base-to-base. I was surprised how much tip early rise (or rocker) these things have. No rocker in the tails - so it's easy to identify the contact points there.

It looks to me like I should consider the "effective edge" (ie: what I need to keep properly beveled & sharp) to run from the tail contact point to 5-6cm beyond where the tip early rise starts. For the tip, that "5-6cm beyond where the early rise starts" appears to coincide with where the tips start the real upward curve.

Make sense?

TS
eok

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I am doing end to end on my rallies. But boy. The tip rises so abruptly that it's not easy to run the diamond all the way to the tip. Still I try. The tail is easy to sharpen. Love these skis!

Thanks.

I had to get my Titans ground this week. It's a good shop with a great reputation. Anyway, I let them do the initial edge bevels. I remember telling them "don't de-tune tips and tails". But, they did. Fortunately they didn't de-tune with a file, but seemingly with just a few light passes with a gummi stone. Plus, on one side of the tip area on each ski the detuning extended 3cm too far back.

Anyway, I fixed the de-tune myself after I got the skis home. No big deal.

I determined the effective front contact point by clamping one of the skis on a table - with the clamp at mid-ski. Then I pressed down on the shovel of the ski to eliminate the early rise. I marked on the side edge where the tip curvature met the table. Assessing this and the sidecut design of Titans, I moved the mark forward about two centimeters.

I should point out that when I first got my Titans, the "factory" bevels actually turned out to be all over the place. One shovel was railed. 1/2 bevel in tips and tails but 1/1 mid ski - both skis.

I have the bevels at 1/2 for now. I need to ski 'em for a while. I'll take 'em to 1/3 - like my other skis - if needed.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So, I now have 2018 Titans...

To assess tuning I retracted the brakes & then put the skis base-to-base. I was surprised how much tip early rise (or rocker) these things have. No rocker in the tails - so it's easy to identify the contact points there.

It looks to me like I should consider the "effective edge" (ie: what I need to keep properly beveled & sharp) to run from the tail contact point to 5-6cm beyond where the tip early rise starts. For the tip, that "5-6cm beyond where the early rise starts" appears to coincide with where the tips start the real upward curve.

Make sense?

Round the edges at the tips and tails after the widest point. In other words where the edges go into reverse sidecut. Good luck!
Edit. I just looked at those skis. Pretty much nothing to round or de-tune there. Just tune at the spec. you like.

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Generally we want the edges sharp where they'll contact the snow. The up-curved tip should be dulled so if you're skiing in a frozen rut the up-curved part does not catch the sides of the rut and jerk you around. I don't think it matters with the tail--I don't ski switch...intentionally.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

If they're the 2017 or 2018 versions, the early rise starts where the triangle starts on the 2017 versions (on the left side of the tip), or where the "arrow" looking thing is on the 2018 version (also left side of the tip). This is true to all of the Supershapes, the skinnier they get, the less early rise they have.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks.

I had to get my Titans ground this week. It's a good shop with a great reputation. Anyway, I let them do the initial edge bevels. I remember telling them "don't de-tune tips and tails". But, they did. Fortunately they didn't de-tune with a file, but seemingly with just a few light passes with a gummi stone. Plus, on one side of the tip area on each ski the detuning extended 3cm too far back.

Anyway, I fixed the de-tune myself after I got the skis home. No big deal.

I determined the effective front contact point by clamping one of the skis on a table - with the clamp at mid-ski. Then I pressed down on the shovel of the ski to eliminate the early rise. I marked on the side edge where the tip curvature met the table. Assessing this and the sidecut design of Titans, I moved the mark forward about two centimeters.

I should point out that when I first got my Titans, the "factory" bevels actually turned out to be all over the place. One shovel was railed. 1/2 bevel in tips and tails but 1/1 mid ski - both skis.

I have the bevels at 1/2 for now. I need to ski 'em for a while. I'll take 'em to 1/3 - like my other skis - if needed.

The Supershape Tips engage nearly the whole length of the ski (to the widest point of the shovel) when tipped on edge... much more than just a couple cm's beyond the contact point

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Generally we want the edges sharp where they'll contact the snow. The up-curved tip should be dulled so if you're skiing in a frozen rut the up-curved part does not catch the sides of the rut and jerk you around. I don't think it matters with the tail--I don't ski switch...intentionally.

Not with the Supershapes.

TS
eok

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
The Supershape Tips engage nearly the whole length of the ski (to the widest point of the shovel) when tipped on edge... much more than just a couple cm's beyond the contact point

Yes. I ended up going much further than the couple cm I started with. Basically, nearly the entire length of the ski. It took a couple more tuning sessions. Guess I should have updated my post but I've been too busy enjoying the spring snow here.

I can't see how a traditional "detune" of a Supershape makes any sense at all. I mean, if one *needs* to detune them that much then they are eliminating a lot of usable edge... perhaps an indication the wrong type of ski was purchased.

James

Out There
Instructor
Detuning is a disease caught years ago. Some never get cured of it. The only reliable way to cure is have racers yell at them and picket their stores. Except racers usually don't use such people, and/or the detuners don't do it for racers. Since everyone else is a moron who can't ski, they detune per their disease.

The upturned part of the ski, which can not be used to turn the ski in a normal turn, should be rounded so it doesn't result in a highly abnormal and dangerous event.
Iirc, someone posted recently about how they got injured this way. I've been launched by it on a rental. Not fun when the trees are coming at you.

Reactions: NE1
TS
eok

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Detuning is a disease caught years ago. Some never get cured of it. The only reliable way to cure is have racers yell at them and picket their stores. Except racers usually don't use such people, and/or the detuners don't do it for racers. Since everyone else is a moron who can't ski, they detune per their disease.

The upturned part of the ski, which can not be used to turn the ski in a normal turn, should be rounded so it doesn't result in a highly abnormal and dangerous event.
Iirc, someone posted recently about how they got injured this way. I've been launched by it on a rental. Not fun when the trees are coming at you.

My sentiment as well. I tune all my skis and I never "detune" any effective/usable edge.

There have been a couple times the last several years when I've let a shop tune my skis - each after a grind. Each time I instructed "do not detune!!!", which they wrote on my service slip. Regardless, I'm 1 & 1: 1 shop followed my instructions but the other did not and detuned. :huh:

I've heard horror stories of shops detuning skis way too much... with a heavy-handed attack with a file. Ug!

Sponsor

Staff online