• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Supershape Speed vs Magnum vs Rally ?

dmaster

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, I'd be interested in the Head Supershape range.
I was wondering about the actual difference between the i.Speed, i.Magnum and i.Rally.
There are some good deals out there for last season's Heads, but not all sizes and models are still available. Can you really tell and feel the difference between these 3 models when you're not an expert skier ?

I’m an advanced skier (level 7), 50 years old, 90kg, 190cm tall. I only ski on piste, short to medium turns, medium aggressive and no deep snow.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I magnum in a 170 or 177 would be my pick for you. Nice soft and complaint.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have all three, but my Speed is the old white and black one and hasn't been skied in recent seasons. All three IMHO are really nice groomer skis. My Rally is 177 and the Magnum and Speedare 170. If I bought a new Speed , I would probably go 177.
But that's just me, (skiing 55 years and many of those seasons were on 205-207 skis)
The 170 length of will be plenty stable arguably easier to ski bumps on.
Really can't go wrong with either length or model.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Rally will carve well and hold hard pack and ice while dealing with 3-5” of fresh snow and variable conditions with ease. The Titan deals with mixed conditions even better, but starts giving up hard snow and ice grip faster.

The magnum outcarves both, but doesn’t deal with afternoon piles as well.

If you ski all day, get the rally. If you are done once it starts to get choppy, roll with the magnum.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Rally will carve well and hold hard pack and ice while dealing with 3-5” of fresh snow and variable conditions with ease. The Titan deals with mixed conditions even better, but starts giving up hard snow and ice grip faster.

The magnum outcarves both, but doesn’t deal with afternoon piles as well.

If you ski all day, get the rally. If you are done once it starts to get choppy, roll with the magnum.

No love for the i-speed?

I'm trying to figure it out for next year myself. For most of the season I'm skiing in the midwest where it's 95% man made, hard snow. However, toward the end of the season I could spend a week to 10 days somewhere like Snowbird UT where we might start with Regulartor Johnson, traverse the Cirque and ski anything in our path. Or maybe Jackson or Vail or Sun Valley. I'm a 68 year old, Level III ski instructor with a knee replacement, but still tear it up on the groomed, don't shy away from powder or crud. I can still ski bumps, but my knee tells me I'm stupid every time I do... so only now and again to show that the old man can still do it. And, I cannot forget to mention that I'm teaching every weekend and can be teaching 10 year old intermediates or 18 year old teens that want to learn to rip.

So which of the Super-Shape models do you think for me?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No love for the i-speed?
I love my iSpeeds. I have the 170. Nice easy turning ski. I use it in lessons a lot. Its so easy to look good. And when classes are over you can let 'er rip!! :ogbiggrin:
A lot of other instructors I know have the Magnums.
While they are great in the East, I don't think they would have a place out West

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I love my iSpeeds. I have the 170. Nice easy turning ski. I use it in lessons a lot. Its so easy to look good. And when classes are over you can let 'er rip!! :ogbiggrin:
A lot of other instructors I know have the Magnums.
While they are great in the East, I don't think they would have a place out West

Thanks for your reply. Out of a 15 week season I'm on midwest hardpack for 14 of them. While they wouldn't be the first choice if I were teaching in the Rockies, but how would the Speeds fare for that one week in softer snow, crud, bumps, etc? The Magnums have a lower plate than the Speed, and a shorter turn radius. They all seem so similar.

Now comes the curve ball... Next year Head is replacing the i series with and e series. What will the practical difference be with the e- speed vs the i-speed?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I'm a great lakes skier who had a Titan and now has a Rally, I think the Titan was a little more well rounded as a go to ride for my home area and low tide travel ski. The little bit of extra float is nice and you really don't give up much if any grip over the Rally. It was the narrow ski on a two ski travel quiver. If I didn't have my DPS 82, I'd prefer to have the Titan back. Since I have the DPS 82, I'd take the Magnum first.

Sponsor