• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MJA

Booting up
Skier
I've got a chance to pick up some 16/17 Supershape Speeds in 170 for short money. Looking for feedback as to whether I'd like the 170 and should jump on the deal, or whether I'm better suited for a 163. I'm 5'9" 150lb male, solid advanced but not expert, no racing background. I've got the 16/17 Titans in 170 and love them. My next ski up the quiver is an Enforcer 93 in 177.

Thanks!

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
I consider myself an advanced intermediate, I'm a Level 1 instructor working on my Level 2. I'm 5'-9" tall, 170 lbs; but I'm old.

My teaching ski is a Head iMagnum at 163 cm. My every day ski is a Head Raw Instinct at 170 cm.
Where you ski will make a difference on what length might be your best option. I spend 95% of my time on midwest hard pack. If you ski out west the 170 may be a good length for you. If your a midwest or east coast skier you may want to consider a shorter length.
The Head iSpeed is a short radius slalom ski best suited for groomed hard pack. The 170 cm has a 14 m radius, 163 cm has a 12.7 m radius while the 156 cm has a 11.7 m radius. Kind of depends on what sort of turns you want to make.
Next season I'm going for the iSpeed in a 156 for my certifications skis.

BTW, my out west powder skis are Head Monster 98's.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I'm not sure why you want a 170cm/14m i.Supershape Speed (great ski btw) when you have a 170cm/14m i.Supershape Titan. Are you replacing the Titan?

TS
M

MJA

Booting up
Skier
I live in Utah. I spend most of time off piste at Alta and Snowbird on much larger skis. However I do enjoy groomer days at Deer Valley, which frequently occur when I have out-of-town friends/family visiting that prefer cruisers to LCC steeps.

I would not be replacing the Titans, which I adore, but I can buy used Speeds in good condition for $200. So I figure, why not? Worst case they’re superfluous and I decide to sell them, and I feel confident I can make my money back on them.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I like to ski DV groomers too. They are usually so well prepared, there aren't many days that that the Titans will be better than the Speeds.

I sold my well-loved 170cm 2009 i.Supershape Speed's (pre-KERS, 15.6M radius) last year for $185 so I think your plan is sound. Be ready to sell the Titans though. :) Althought more similar than different, anything they can do the Speeds can do better.

Get a good .7/3 tune on them from Podium or Renstall before the snow flys and you'll be golden.

TS
M

MJA

Booting up
Skier
You’re getting me excited :golfclap:

Given that they’re adjustable system bindings maybe the Titans will just become groomer skis for friends. Just a few years ago, I had one pair of RTM 80s... and now my quiver requires two hands to count :doh:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
The Head iSpeed is a short radius slalom ski best suited for groomed hard pack....

Note that this is an entirely different ski than the Head WCR i.Speed Pro, recently reviewed by Ski Magazine in their Race Ski reviews. The three people I know that have them really like them, but they've got an 18M radius in the 180cm size and their speed preference is … well … Ludicrous Speed.