• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Supershape i Titan - this year's or last year's?

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
This thread https://www.pugski.com/threads/long-term-review-2017-18-head-rally-for-an-intermediate.8524/ by @Mendieta has inspired me. I want to become a better skier by putting in the effort to develop the skills and want to do that on a higher level ski than I am on right now.

I am an advanced level skier from a non-technical background and only really got into skiing 8 years ago at age 44. I mainly ski in the Northeast with Bear Creek in Macungie, PA being my home mountain due to proximity and Elk Mountain in Union Dale, PA being my day trip destination of choice. My skiing has progressed to the point where I can confidently ski anything at Elk (as a reference point) at any speed in any condition, with the exception of bumps which are a work-in-progress. I am currently on 2014 K2 AMP 80XTIs. These have taken me from low level intermediate to where I am now, but I find them not doing much for me now. Not enough edge grip in the icier conditions, a lot of tip whap in rougher hard snow and just kinda boring. It is hard to get motivated be put in the work to be better on a ski that doesn't get me excited.

I am looking to get a pair of Head Supershape i Titans after doing a bunch of research, including reading what SkiEssentials had to say about the 2018 model. I know it is not a 1:1 comparison, but I demo'd 2016-2017 Head Monster 88s (leftovers) last weekend at Elk and was totally at home on those after 1/3 of the first run. I had a blast on them, which I was actually surprised about given what I had read about them being stiff, burly, etc. They were skis that like to be driven and had a need for speed, but I felt right at home on them.

So, my question: is there much of a difference between the 2018 i Titan and the 2017 model in how they ski? From what I have read it seems like Head changed the dimensions slightly for 2018 with a bit wider shovel and wider tail, but the sidecut is basically the same. Also, the rocker in the 2017 is about 10% where I think the rocker in the 2018 version is around 20%. I can pick up a pair of new leftover 2017s for about $720 and 2018s for $999. If there is no appreciable difference between them, no reason to spend the extra cash.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Probably @Philpug or @markojp would know. A humble suggestion from someone who is behind you in the learning curve, but if you are looking for a technical ski, you might also consider the magnum and the rally from that series. Cheers!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
You'll be more than content on last years and I'm pretty sure there is zero change for this year. The big change came with last years updates with graphene and refined shape, it's a little bit better of a ski than the older, more rounded looking one.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You'll be more than content on last years and I'm pretty sure there is zero change for this year. The big change came with last years updates with graphene and refined shape, it's a little bit better of a ski than the older, more rounded looking one.

I am of the same understanding:
  • 2015/2016 and earlier were more rounded
  • 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 share the same, more aggressive design
  • 2018/2019: I didn't find anything online. I don't know if they are planning on changing the supershapes.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
  • 2018/2019: I didn't find anything online. I don't know if they are planning on changing the supershapes.

There is no change to the SuperShape line other than cosmetic top sheet for '18/'19. On PugSki Facebook page there are the videos that Phil did from SIA and one of the daily segments included a stop at the Head booth, Phil mentions NGT for the SuperShape (New Graphics Technology).

I actually just bought a pair of SuperShape iRallys, arriving tomorrow! Before buying, I called Head winter sports customer service just to verify that no significant changes to '18/'19 SuperShapes just to be sure there was no reason to wait for next year. I actually like this years and last years topsheets much better. Starting next year, Head is adding a lot more color to the ski, rather then current design of a mostly black ski with just splashes of color. You can see the design changes in the video Phil made.

EDIT: I added the video, you can see the '18/'19 SuperShapes starting at about 10:40 in the video.

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Are the dates correct? I'd lump 2014-'15, '15-'16, '16-'17 together, all with ERA 3.0, KERS, just different graphics each year. (2013-'4 and earlier were different--not black, no ERA 3.0. I had the original Supershape--really fun skis.) The 2017-2018 are all new with graphene and the other changes. It seems that 2018-2019 is just a graphics change.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
Are the dates correct? I'd lump 2014-'15, '15-'16, '16-'17 together, all with ERA 3.0, KERS, just different graphics each year. (2013-'4 and earlier were different--not black, no ERA 3.0. I had the original Supershape--really fun skis.) The 2017-2018 are all new with graphene and the other changes. It seems that 2018-2019 is just a graphics change.

Sounds pretty spot on PT, although I would put 16/17 & 17/18 together as I believe 16/17 was the first year of Graphene. In fact I'm not sure much changed from 16/17 to 17/18 other than graphics.

But we can listen to "Coup" and see what the differences are:

2016/2017

2017/2018

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sounds pretty spot on PT, although I would put 16/17 & 17/18 together as I believe 16/17 was the first year of Graphene. In fact I'm not sure much changed from 16/17 to 17/18 other than graphics.

But we can listen to "Coup" and see what the differences are:

2016/2017

2017/2018

Yes, see also here. I think we answered the original question. Good work team!

:pug:

Mat44

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

I haven't ever tried graphene coated skies but I was always really wondering if they are better of up to the par with other skies from that price category. When you read more about graphene, it is really impressive material. Its almost like anything that is enhanced with graphene has automatically better properties. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't ever tried graphene coated skies but I was always really wondering if they are better of up to the par with other skies from that price category. When you read more about graphene, it is really impressive material. Its almost like anything that is enhanced with graphene has automatically better properties. :D
Graphene is a strengthening agent, it is impressive but it is nto the end all the performance of the Supershapes, it is the shape and design that makes the iTitan a class leader.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought a pair of 17-18 177cm iTitans last season. I was looking for a race ski without getting a race ski, I didn't want to work THAT hard. The iTitan was everything I wanted it to be; heavy, damp, stable, quick edge to edge, and fun to ski. I started referring it to my training ski, as it was the ski of choice when I was doing toboggan instructing and ski skills for candidate patrollers because it would do everything I was teaching and look good while doing it.

Regarding the rocker question.. going off memory of my skis, i don't think they have any rocker worth speaking of until the tip.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online