• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
I am new to PugSki.com and was on Epic for some time; wealth of information, I hope I can give back somehow this season. I need new skis for an upcoming BASI Level 2 instructors course. I have read the various reviews of the Head Rally and Stockli AX and both sound like great fun with the ability to easily handle various turn shapes. I usually demo before buying but my BASI Level 2 starts before I can demo.

A few specs to help dial in thoughts: age 60, weight 180 lbs, height 6'1", some race background (too long ago to remember), more of a finesse skier, but like to drive skis rather than smear turns unless needed to dump speed. Current skis are Nordica nRGY 100, 177cm; Volkl Katana vWerks, 185cm; and some old Atomic DR2s, 172cm. Have demo'd a bunch of skis each year but have focused on all mountain and powder skis (really liked the Nordica Enforcer 93 and Stockli Stormrider 88 demo last season!). We will be training on glaciers in the alps in the fall so conditions will vary dramatically day to day. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm almost exactly your size (a few pounds lighter, an inch or two taller). I'm based in the northeast US; I skied the Rally quite a bit and found it a good choice for groomers and bump runs. Turn shapes could be modified easily and despite its short turn radius it could smear / slide turns through bumps fairly well.

Then I demo'ed the Stockli Stormrider 88's and never skied my Rally's again. I've sold the Rally's now and spent the majority of last season on SR88's. The only days I didn't pull out my SR88's were powder days.

I've demoed the AX... I found it to be a bit of a beast. A great ski if you could stay in its sweet spot, but not terribly forgiving of mistakes. SR88's were a lot more forgiving in that regard.

TS
Kurt

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
I'm almost exactly your size (a few pounds lighter, an inch or two taller). I'm based in the northeast US; I skied the Rally quite a bit and found it a good choice for groomers and bump runs. Turn shapes could be modified easily and despite its short turn radius it could smear / slide turns through bumps fairly well.

Then I demo'ed the Stockli Stormrider 88's and never skied my Rally's again. I've sold the Rally's now and spent the majority of last season on SR88's. The only days I didn't pull out my SR88's were powder days.

I've demoed the AX... I found it to be a bit of a beast. A great ski if you could stay in its sweet spot, but not terribly forgiving of mistakes. SR88's were a lot more forgiving in that regard.

Thanks Kevin. Agreed, the Stormrider 88 is an amazing ski; perhaps it will be my next all mountain ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new Rally is a little mroe technical than the older Rally and also the AX. The AX is a more playful ski than the Rally. Since you like to "drive" a ski, the Rally will do that fantastically, the AX will be the better of these as the finesse skis.

TS
Kurt

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
The new Rally is a little mroe technical than the older Rally and also the AX. The AX is a more playful ski than the Rally. Since you like to "drive" a ski, the Rally will do that fantastically, the AX will be the better of these as the finesse skis.
The Level 2 emphasis is on short to medium turn carving so perhaps the Rally would be the better choice. Any thoughts on length 170 vs 177?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Level 2 emphasis is on short to medium turn carving so perhaps the Rally would be the better choice. Any thoughts on length 170 vs 177?
The 170 would be a better short to medium radius ski, I would err to that. The previous generation ski, I preferred the 177, the newer one that feel like it has more purpose, I like the 170 better.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Length... IMHO it really depends on where you are, Kurt. Are you already a strong, fit, technically sound skier who's refining (not re-defining) skills and working on the teaching component? If so, I don't think at your size the 177 would be an issue particularly if you play with the binding position a bit. While the new ones are 'more' than the old, they still aren't uber burly tactical machines. If you generally like shorter, or are truly having to reinvent your skiing, do the 170. On the fence? 170 like Phil says. In either case, they'll be a great teaching/training ski.

(Just curious, but for L2, I'd imagine skiing/training on your SR88's would be fine, no?)

Last edited:
TS
Kurt

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Length... IMHO it really depends on where you are, Kurt. Are you already a strong, fit, technically sound skier who's refining (not re-defining) skills and working on the teaching component? If so, I don't think at your size the 177 would be an issue particularly if you play with the binding position a bit. While the new ones are 'more' than the old, they still aren't uber burly tactical machines. If you generally like shorter, or are truly having to reinvent your skiing, do the 170. On the fence? 170 like Phil says. In either case, they'll be a great teaching/training ski.

(Just curious, but for L2, I'd imagine skiing/training on your SR88's would be fine, no?)
Yes, refining not redefining, to work on the teaching component. I've been focusing off-piste for several years so need to get the carve groove back and looking forward to the rhythm of carving again, so the 170 may be the best bet for now. Just to clarify, I've demo'd the SR88 but don't own them (yet); the L2 instructor wants to see us on mid-70s under foot; more emphasis on narrower skis in Europe than I've seen in the states. Thanks for the input!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Was wondering... L2 has a significant off piste and bump component around here, and generally candidates aren't expected to be as precise as L3. Honestly, the narrower waist width is much better for exam tasks. Easier, too.

TS
Kurt

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Stockli Laser AX Day 1 feedback: After much pondering and reading all the posts I could find I ended up with the Stockli Laser AX 175cm. First day on them this week at Saas Fee was the perfect test day with a variety of snow and weather conditions. First thing in the morning the fresh snow was squeaky cold, and impeccably groomed (World Cup teams train on the glacier this time of year); the top slope was moderate, followed by a short flat, then another moderate pitch, short flat, and then steep shot on glacier ice down to the T-bar. I totally concur with others that have posted some great reviews of these skis; they perform well in varied turn shapes, ramp up their performance the more you put into them but do not punish you when you want to cruise. They held a great edge on the steeper glacial ice and instilled confidence. Later in the day as the snow got mounded up with patches of glacial ice showing up between they plowed through the chop and did not skid out when hitting ice. A moment of enlightenment clicked when the weather switched to low vis at the end of the day; low vis usually turns me into a tentative beginner, at least it feels that way, but the skis connected so well with the snow that I didn't change technique or speed but didn't realize it until I reached the bottom - I love these skis, they are a special breed. Thanks all for the great posts and feedback on both the Stockli and Head; I'd still love to compare the Head sometime this season.

With regard to a teaching ski I was fortunate to ski a few runs off and on through the day with an instructors coach and race coach; he concurred that the AX would be great for the BASI 1 and 2 levels. A more specific carving ski like the Head Supershape Magnum or Rally or others would probably be needed for level 3.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I have the SR88's that i live but being in the midwest whete we have a lot of hard pack I was looking last year at the Rally & Stockli SC. Unable to find either in a demo I pulled the trigger on the Head Rally. Mostly due to finding a pair for 40% of msrp due to a big box store closing. They are fun and quick on the hard pack but the factory tune wad really bad. As a Clydesdale and 6' I went with the 177 because it's the shortest ski I've owned since junior high. The 170 will be even quicker but so far I'm happy with my 177's.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the SR88's that i live but being in the midwest whete we have a lot of hard pack I was looking last year at the Rally & Stockli SC. Unable to find either in a demo I pulled the trigger on the Head Rally. Mostly due to finding a pair for 40% of msrp due to a big box store closing. They are fun and quick on the hard pack but the factory tune wad really bad. As a Clydesdale and 6' I went with the 177 because it's the shortest ski I've owned since junior high. The 170 will be even quicker but so far I'm happy with my 177's.
You will not be dissatisfied.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm super happy so far after 7 days! Just eager for my shop to give them a PROPER tune! I love the SR's when I want to go fast and we have softer snow!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
.75 and 3 for the midwest. ogsmile

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
How do the Laser AX and Laser SC compare to each other?

When speaking of the Rally, we need to remember that the older Rally and the new Rally with graphene are very different skis. I really like my old Rallys, but a friend who also skis them tried the new Rallys and they were not the ski for him. He liked how they turned in the bumps but did not like how he was thrown around in crud. He didn't experiment with binding position--I would have tried a couple of notches forward.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do the Laser AX and Laser SC compare to each other?

When speaking of the Rally, we need to remember that the older Rally and the new Rally with graphene are very different skis. I really like my old Rallys, but a friend who also skis them tried the new Rallys and they were not the ski for him. He liked how they turned in the bumps but did not like how he was thrown around in crud. He didn't experiment with binding position--I would have tried a couple of notches forward.
it isn't the binding postions on the new Rally's it is the shape of the ski, much more flair at the extremities, the ski has a lot more purpose in it's shape.

Sponsor

Staff online