• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Supershape & Gripwalk Compatility.

TheCamel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've recently upgraded my ski boots to some Fischer Ranger Free's with GripWalk soles. While these will be perfect for my everyday ski's they don't seem to be compatible with an older pair of Head SuperShape (2017ish) skis that I use on occasion.

1) Can the binding on a Head SuperShape be modified or upgraded to accept GripWalk soles?
or
2) Is it possible to buy the new version of the Head binding (PRD12 GW) aftermarket? I haven't had any luck yet contacting the local Head rep.
or
3) Is it possible to fit a Marker Griffon or similar binding to the Head SuperShapes? I note the head website has warnings about using any non-head binding but I'm curious as to why this is?

I realize all the above options may be too difficult or expensive and I'm better to pass these skis on, but they are a seriously fun ski to use.

Thanks in advance

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've recently upgraded my ski boots to some Fischer Ranger Free's with GripWalk soles. While these will be perfect for my everyday ski's they don't seem to be compatible with an older pair of Head SuperShape (2017ish) skis that I use on occasion.

1) Can the binding on a Head SuperShape be modified or upgraded to accept GripWalk soles?
or
2) Is it possible to buy the new version of the Head binding (PRD12 GW) aftermarket? I haven't had any luck yet contacting the local Head rep.
or
3) Is it possible to fit a Marker Griffon or similar binding to the Head SuperShapes? I note the head website has warnings about using any non-head binding but I'm curious as to why this is?

I realize all the above options may be too difficult or expensive and I'm better to pass these skis on, but they are a seriously fun ski to use.

Thanks in advance
1) No, the current year Supershapes are GW compatable but older ones are not.
2) No, they do not sell just the bindings
3) You can remove the PRD bindings and the plates and replace them with another GW compatable binding such as a Griffon but very well you will void warranty but since the ski is over a year old, you are out of warranty anyway. Per U.S. Head, What is said abut a non Head binding on their web page is actually incorrect, warranty is not voided when using a non Head binding but a remount could void the warranty even if you use a Tyrolia Attack 13 which is GW.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do some of the new "free" boots have changeable heel lugs to make them 5355 compatible? I believe I saw this on the lange freetour.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do some of the new "free" boots have changeable heel lugs to make them 5355 compatible? I believe I saw this on the lange freetour.
Yes, and the Ranger Free is one of them. Some might want the Gripwalk comfort and ease in walking.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So could TheCamel buy some of the 5355 lugs for his Ranger Free boots to make them compatible with his Head bindings?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I should probably find out what binding you have on supershapes, although that term can mean several different skis. But what I want to pass along is that Tyrolia makes all the bindings with Head and Fischer branding on them. If this is a system binding that slides on a rail and If there is an equivalent tyrolia brand binding, you can buy just the toes and heels from tyrolia and swap. I did this on a pair of Fischer Curv DTX skis. Fischer said they don't sell bindings, but the Tyrolia powerrail PRD MBS bindings interchanged perfectly.(because its the same system with a different name on it) I happen to look at my Kastle MX 78's with Head PRD bindings, and they use the same rail and will interchange, I did it just to check.

It depends on what specific binding is on the ski. Post a picture and someone might be able to give you more info. If its a PRD, then it will work no problem. If you have a lever to slide the binding back and forth, there is a tyrolia equivalent.

TS
T

TheCamel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the reply guys - current binding is a Head PRX 12 on a Head SuperShape Titan.

Replacing the soles isn't super appealing as most of my skiing will be slack country orientated. The tyrolia replacement sounds great, otherwise does removing the base plate for a marker griffon impact performance much? Not worried about warranty at all - they are an older ski as you say

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You'd be much better off mounting a Marker 12 TPX on a plate on a super shape than flat with a Griffon.

Sponsor

Staff online