• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SusanneGoneSkii

Gone skiing....permanently!
Industry Insider
Hello there,

I am in the process of getting my new gear for the next season. I work as a ski guide for a hotel in Baqueira-Beret, ES and am on the slopes 5-6 hours every day during the season (off-piste as well).
Unfortunately, all European resorts closed down due to COVID19 in the middle of March, leaving me somewhat stranded and not being able to try out the ski boots I had shortlisted.
I'd appreciate any input that any of you might have, I am a little confused by the descriptions and technical features that are available on the HEAD website.
I have been skiing in Head Raptor 120RS last season and was extremely happy with them. I am a fairly aggressive and dynamic skier and prefer a high flex (120/130).
Again, thanks for the feedback in advance!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter!
All the best from the beautiful Val D'Aran!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the site! If you're in the Raptors already you know that they are a substantial (heavy) boot. I haven't been in either LYT models but if you're happy with the Raptors I don't know what you'd gain other than lightness. If the weight hasn't been an issue, I'd stick with the Raptors. The only other thing I do notice about the Raptors versus a grilamid boot is the newer, lighter material is more stable flex-wise through varying temperatures.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
These are all quite different boots, for different feet. Edge is for wide feet, Nexo for narrower feet, Raptor tightest for a race fit. Without knowing your foot profile, hard to comment or recommend one or the other. But if the Raptor works for you, why not continue with that?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are all quite different boots, for different feet. Edge is for wide feet, Nexo for narrower feet, Raptor tightest for a race fit. Without knowing your foot profile, hard to comment or recommend one or the other. But if the Raptor works for you, why not continue with that?
I agree here, if you struck oil, no sense in to keep drilling. If you are happy with the fit and performance of the Raptor, you will not be satisfied with the other two boots. You might want to step up to the 140 (actually a 130 out of the box), it is a better built boot with better buckles and powerstrap. If it is too stiff you can always soften it a bit.

TS
SusanneGoneSkii

SusanneGoneSkii

Industry Insider
THANKS!!!

I'll be working in Japan next season and figured it might be a smart idea to add a lighter boot to my work gear.
I love the Raptors, they are so down my alley, but they are somewhat heavy. I am 5'7", 110 lbs and have been skiing on 170 i.Magnum (2017) with race bindings this season....my thighs are like steel now but I was dead on my feet for the first week of work.
However, Japan is a different story and skiing with gear that almost weighs more than I do might not be the smartest choice.
I am not gear geek, I literally try the ones that seem to match my skill/style/work demands according to the *omniscient* internet, so please bear with me if I am a little ignorant when it comes to technical features, abbreviations and the like. I guess the best description is that for me trying boots is a little like wine tasting: I can tell you that I like the wine or not, but the "fruity aftertaste with a nutty chocolate note" is beyond me. Hey, I am blonde after all...
So...does it make sense to get a second pair of boots for the fluffy Japanese stuff?

TS
SusanneGoneSkii

SusanneGoneSkii

Industry Insider
Gee, guys, thanks so much for your help, I truly appreciate your input!
I've also been looking into the Head Vector 130S RS.
Any thoughts on those vs. Raptor?

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
My personal boot journey, since I updated to contemporary equipment in 2018, started with the Head AdvantEdge 125 27.5, where I was fitted to a boot that was at least 1.0 size too big, and my foot did not really need a wide boot anyway. So I got the Tecnica Mach1 130 MV 26.0. To which I added a Lange RX 130 26.5, which I found not stiff enough. So I have added a Dalbello DRS 140 26.5. Once I knew I liked the stiffest non FIS rated boot I could find, I didn't drop down into the latest lightweight, comfort-oriented boot. Perhaps you will feel different, but as @Philpug says, staying with the highest performance boot could well be what is best for you.

The best investment for happy feet, if you have not done so already, is a custom footbed. That will give you the best feel, comfort, micro-control etc. In London, we are blessed to have the excellent Profeet. Not sure what's available in your corner of Spain, but I am sure that you can find a quality outfitter in Japan to get your feet analysed and get you fitted for a custom footbed.

Last edited:
TS
SusanneGoneSkii

SusanneGoneSkii

Industry Insider
The best investment for happy feet, if you have not done so already, is a custom footbed. That will give you the best feel, comfort, micro-control etc. In London, we are blessed to have the excellent Profeet. Not sure what's available in your corner of Spain, but I am sure that you can find a quality outfitter in Japan to get your feet analysed and get you fitted for a custom footbed.

Did that with the current Raptors - it was one of those "epiphany days" when the entire world suddenly makes sense :yahoo:. And hey, I live in a ski resort! The Spaniards might be, how to say that...., a little misguided when it comes to understanding WHY one needs to take ski classes with a professional instructor, but they do love their gear, even if they can't handle it.
Again, thank you so much for your input!!!
Stay at home, stay healthy!!!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Why wouldn't a Head Raptor work for lift served Japan unless there was ALOT of hiking involved, which is the exception rather than the norm, unless you're ski touring above resorts? I wouldn't hesitate to take mine. I lived there many years.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski a similar boot as you, Lange RS140, which is essentially a consumer race boot. It is stiff and heavy and skis really well. Its downside is it is stiff and heavy.

I bought an AT setup, (skinning skis) which you might want in Japan to do side country. I bought an Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 boot. It is 2 lbs per boot, (1kg) lighter than my Langes. The weight reduction is really nice and having a walk mode and pin inserts is needed for the skinning uphill part. You can get the "non-XTD" version of the boot which is dedicated alpine and just slightly heavier. When you go to a light weight boot, it must have a "thick, cushiony" liner to keep it comfortable. The liner becomes the critical thing to keep them snug and comfortable for all day use. If you can continue to use your Heads, then I for one would recommend a lighter second boot. Almost all the brands offer several light boots, some alpine only and some Alpine and AT (skinning). I tried on the Head version and it didn't work for me, but it was sure light. Most boots come in widths now, so that is another thing to know what you have for a foot type. The 2021 Atomics will have a new cushiony liner called mimic which is worth getting according to all reports. I will be getting the new mimic liner for my AT boot.