• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Monster 83's?

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Obviously, the Monster 88's are well regarded in this community. That said, I am curious if anyone owns or has experience on the 83 model. Does this ski exhibit the dampness of the 88? Is it just a quicker edge to edge ski with the soul of the 88? Any comments are appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 83 is one of my favorites of the Monster collection. The Monster 83 has just what you are asking for, the dampness of the 88 in a narrower/quicker edge to edge package than the 88. I like that the ski can be had flat where most skis in this range are systems including it's brother the Instinct Ti Pro.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Just to expand on Scotty's question, I'm curious what you think of the Monster 83 vs. the older generation black red and green Brahma for a east coast, mostly carving but can bomb the woods when asked type ski. I'm also looking at the Head Titan due to the slightly tighter radius, narrower profile and frontside bias. My Brahmas are fun in chop, but they still have a bit of a speed limit and can't hold crust like a narrower ski.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
I just got off my 83s (177) an hour or so ago and skied on a pair of 88s (170) a few days back. The 83s are good skis, and very comparable to the 88s with respect to dampening and ride, just quicker edge to edge. They prefer mid to large radius turns (I think that their turn radius is actually wider than the 88s in the same length), but can be bent into shorter turns and do provide a little pop out of such turns. When sharp (which mine were not tonight), they have good edge hold on ice as well. They don't have a lot of float, but I find that they ski pretty easily in five or six inches of snow without too much work (the tips have very little rocker and are relatively narrow compared to some other all mountain/frontside skis out there). They are reasonable in the trees, but not ideal as they are heavy and not as nimble as say a pair of Fischer Motive 95s (which I spent some time on in the trees this past weekend). The Titans, this year's model, are much 'turnier' skis than the Monster 83s and I would say ski a bit shorter (I have only demoed the Titans in a 170, so have not compared the same length in both skis) and perhaps have a bit more front side bias. I have not spent much time on the Titans, so I am not really sure how they would fare skiing glades or running through crud.

VON

Booting up
Skier
Hey all. Resurrecting a dead one here. I'm curious, can anyone confirm that the monster 83 has the same construction and generally same characteristics (flex profile, dampness, etc.) as the monster 88, just in a narrower platform?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey all. Resurrecting a dead one here. I'm curious, can anyone confirm that the monster 83 has the same construction and generally same characteristics (flex profile, dampness, etc.) as the monster 88, just in a narrower platform?
Mostly pretty surely some what positive.

Reactions: VON

James

Out There
Instructor
It used to be said if you want a cheap MX83, get the Monster.

Reactions: VON

Sponsor