• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am an advanced level Australian recreational skier. If finances line up I may be looking to do some ski instructing over either the coming season, or the one after (initially full time over school holidays and probably casual thereafter).

I'm looking to buy a ski devoted to "front side carving" and firmer conditions generally, as well as using for instructing. I currently love my Brahmas @173cm and Salomon QLabs @176cm. While the Brahmas kill it on groomers I'm looking for something a touch narrower for the carving without going radically narrower than what I have. I'd also prefer not to kill my favourite skis in beginner lessons!!!

So, which is better? Pricing is so similar it's hardly worth worrying about the difference.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I wouldn't even consider the Monster 83, it needs a decent amount of speed until it's happy and it doesn't smear well, it's not a carving oriented ski either, it's closer to the Brahma than a front side ski. No input on the Salomon, but the Head Rally and Titan carve hard yet can be skied slower for instruction. They can lay trenches and link turns like they are on rails and make a ton of turn shapes. As a result, they are super popular instructing skis.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Yeah, I'd take the Monster 83 off your list.

Last year, I looked at the XDrive line of skis. The 8.0 ti seemed a stiffer "charger" kind of ski. Not my thing. The XDrive 8.0 FS was more what I like: around 80mm waist, carver, 15m radius @ 175. It may be a carryover of the older Enduro XT800 - a ski I liked. Don't know if the 8.0 FS does well at lower speeds, but the XT800 did.

I have to say, I agree with trailtrimmer: Head Rally or Titan. I've seen several instructors on Rallys over the last few seasons.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I wouldn't even consider the Monster 83, it needs a decent amount of speed until it's happy and it doesn't smear well, it's not a carving oriented ski either, it's closer to the Brahma than a front side ski. No input on the Salomon, but the Head Rally and Titan carve hard yet can be skied slower for instruction. They can lay trenches and link turns like they are on rails and make a ton of turn shapes. As a result, they are super popular instructing skis.

I have seen quite a few instructors using Head Supershapes (specially the Titans) here in Colorado. I own the Monster 88's in 184cm and love them but yeah, even the 83's might be too much to teach on day in day out although in the 177cm lengths the Monsters are pretty tame IMHO.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I have seen quite a few instructors using Head Supershapes (specially the Titans) here in Colorado. I own the Monster 88's in 184cm and love them but yeah, even the 83's might be too much to teach on day in day out although in the 177cm lengths the Monsters are pretty tame IMHO.

I have no idea why a monster 83 or 88 would be too much to teach on. Some attention to tune, and no worries as all. Titans work fine as well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

I've taught a lot on both a 177 Titan and a 184 Monster 88. Both work great. Both can be railed or feathered at will in my experience. I like the top end of the 88, and the quickness of the supershapes. So long as they're skied in an appropriate length and are tuned/maintained, they're both excellent.

Last edited:
TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a postscript to this...

...I ended up getting the Head Monster 83s at 170cm. My feeling is they're a pretty forgiving ski. They carve great and hold an edge of course but I've found them pliable yet stable and capable of doing any turn shape.

I reckon they'd instruct fine.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just a follow up question. Why did you pick the 170 over the longer version?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I loved the 177. thought it skied short (in a good way and dialed) like the Titan an rally..

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a follow up question. Why did you pick the 170 over the longer version?
I’ve just started skiing a length shorter than conventionally recommended in pretty much everything and I really like it. I ski pretty quick but I like to do turns - I find a 170 something ski is ample length for the pace I ski and the turns I like to do (quiver details below me at 85kg and around 176cm);

Head Monster 83 (82) 170cm
Blizzard Brahma (88) 173cm
Salomon QLab (103) 176cm
Salomon QST99 w Dynafit 181cm
Salomon Mtn Lab (115) 176cm

Other than the QST they’re all pretty stout skis

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I’ve just started skiing a length shorter than conventionally recommended in pretty much everything and I really like it. I ski pretty quick but I like to do turns - I find a 170 something ski is ample length for the pace I ski and the turns I like to do (quiver details below me at 85kg and around 176cm);

Head Monster 83 (82) 170cm
Blizzard Brahma (88) 173cm
Salomon QLab (103) 176cm
Salomon QST99 w Dynafit 181cm
Salomon Mtn Lab (115) 176cm

Other than the QST they’re all pretty stout skis
Because you like to ski fast I just thought the next length up maybe 177 might be a better choice and still be easy to teach a class.

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because you like to ski fast I just thought the next length up maybe 177 might be a better choice and still be easy to teach a class.
Quick but not crazy fast. Skiing is about the turn for me, not the speed. I love the feeling of a series of well executed turns.

I did own the Rev Pro 85 and a Head ixrc1200 both in 177 and they went fine. For groomed snow skiing I don’t really feel I give up anything I notice by dropping a length.