• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Kore Womens 2020 Skis

Marisa Paradiso

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Heard that Head plans to introduce a Kore Womens 91 and a Kore Womens 99 in 2020. I am interested in both these skis. Does anyone know what lengths the 91 will come in? Does anyone know what lengths the 99 will come in?
I am a petite woman so the mens versions of these skis are in lengths too long for me, and why I am interested in the womens' versions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heard that Head plans to introduce a Kore Womens 91 and a Kore Womens 99 in 2020. I am interested in both these skis. Does anyone know what lengths the 91 will come in? Does anyone know what lengths the 99 will come in?
I am a petite woman so the mens versions of these skis are in lengths too long for me, and why I am interested in the womens' versions.
Marisa, welcome. The irony that neither of these skis will be available in their published widths for women, the widest Kore 93W will be a 91 in a 171 and the Kore 99W will be a 97 also in a 171

Lengths that will be offered for next season for these two skis......both will be offered in 153, 162, and 171. Now with that said, the current Kore 93 men's errr unisex version is also available down to a 153...you might be able to find some of them currently on closeout.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
From the 2019-2020 catalog

IMG_6157.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Currently the Head Kore 93 is 93mm wide in the waist for a 180cm ski. As the skis go down in length the width of the tip, waist, and tail shrink by a few mm, so a Kore 93 in a 171cm length is around 91mm wide at the waist, the 162cm ski is around 89mm at the waist and they are also narrower at tip and tail.

For 2020 the Kore 99 will also come in shorter lengths. The Wild Joy and Great Joy will no longer be available as they basically are aimed at the same skier as the short versions of the Kore 93 and 99.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know the profile? Does it ski short, long, or to size?

The Kore 93 has a modest amount of rocker, tip and tail. No metal but they are damp like a metal ski but without the weight of a metal ski.

TS
M

Marisa Paradiso

Skier
Marisa, welcome. The irony that neither of these skis will be available in their published widths for women, the widest Kore 93W will be a 91 in a 171 and the Kore 99W will be a 97 also in a 171

Lengths that will be offered for next season for these two skis......both will be offered in 153, 162, and 171. Now with that said, the current Kore 93 men's errr unisex version is also available down to a 153...you might be able to find some of them currently on closeout.

Phil, thanks for getting back to me on this. I think it is fairly typical for ski manufacturers to make the womens versions of the same ski a few mm narrower. Doesn't surprise me that they are doing that. I am going to see if i can demo the mens 93 in a 153 before the end of the season. Marisa

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, thanks for getting back to me on this. I think it is fairly typical for ski manufacturers to make the womens versions of the same ski a few mm narrower. Doesn't surprise me that they are doing that. I am going to see if i can demo the mens 93 in a 153 before the end of the season. Marisa
It is not that they are making the women's skis narrower, it is that the whole Kore collection is scaled. What I find is odd is that the women's collection is called the 93 and 99 when none of the sizes are that width. IMHO the Kore W's should have been the 91 and 97. What is written on the ski aside, give them a shot, they are fun skis.

TS
M

Marisa Paradiso

Skier
Well I agree with you, because calling something a 93 when it is really a 91, and calling something a 99 when it is really a 97 is confusing to the most consumers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well I agree with you, because calling something a 93 when it is really a 91, and calling something a 99 when it is really a 97 is confusing to the most consumers.
I am all for scaling sizing...I think every manufacture should. But...start with the reference size as the model designation. So, if you offer a ski in four..or three size, have the middle sizes the reference size and the book ends scaled smaller and larger. Head actually does this with their Supershape series, why they chose to not do it here, confuses me a bit.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 93s are a REALLY fun ski. I actually recommended a friend in WA demo them, along with some others (BP 88 and 98, Experience 88, Sheeva 9, Santa Ana 93) and she ended up buying the Kores. She was coming off a pair of 7 year old K2 Brightside, I believe, which were wearing her out, and her knees out. The Kores made her smile more than any of them. (She demoed the men's version, so got an end-of-season deal on them.)

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've skied both women's Kore skis in a 171 on groomed grippy snow - what a incredible ski - so easy to turn, great edge hold and they just ripped. My wife is getting a pair from Santa next Christmas (shhhh!)

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpg
    IMG_3880.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 25

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
The 93s are a REALLY fun ski. I actually recommended a friend in WA demo them, along with some others (BP 88 and 98, Experience 88, Sheeva 9, Santa Ana 93) and she ended up buying the Kores. She was coming off a pair of 7 year old K2 Brightside, I believe, which were wearing her out, and her knees out. The Kores made her smile more than any of them. (She demoed the men's version, so got an end-of-season deal on them.)

Cool! There's a demo day at Alpine on Sat and Head will be there, so I've been curious to give them a try. Not this year (I have to sell some skis first), but maybe next season, I want to replace my Santa Ana 100s (pre-metal version) with something a little damper that will cut through the Sierra cement a bit easier. So I'm going to demo as much as I can and take some notes for when I'm ready for the change. Not sure these will be the winner - I'm a little concerned with how light they are and if that will make them chatter-y, but everyone raves about them, so want to test them out. The annoying thing is that I'm between sizes (153 & 162), but since it's a demo, I guess I'll just go with what they have available.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool! There's a demo day at Alpine on Sat and Head will be there, so I've been curious to give them a try. Not this year (I have to sell some skis first), but maybe next season, I want to replace my Santa Ana 100s (pre-metal version) with something a little damper that will cut through the Sierra cement a bit easier. So I'm going to demo as much as I can and take some notes for when I'm ready for the change. Not sure these will be the winner - I'm a little concerned with how light they are and if that will make them chatter-y, but everyone raves about them, so want to test them out. The annoying thing is that I'm between sizes (153 & 162), but since it's a demo, I guess I'll just go with what they have available.
They won't be that damp. If Salomon has the new QST 99, that will be damper. Mindbender Alliance 98 will be damper too but I don't think there are any in your size yet. Same with the new Volkl Secret 102.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong here but there is no "women's" or "men's" Kore 93, just shorter and longer versions of the same ski with the 180cm length being 93mm wide at the waist and the width dimensions for tip, waist, and tail going down for shorter skis and the width dimensions increasing for skis longer than 180cm.

Presumably when the Kore 99 (99mm waist in a 180cm ski) comes out next year with shorter lengths, Head will also shrink the widths in the shorter lengths.

Changing dimensions with each ski length requires manufacturers to use a separate mold for each length making construction slightly more expensive. It is an attempt to make the skiing experience the same for all skiers regardless of the size of the skier. A lot of brands do this with their better skis with some changing the name (men's and woman's) and/or graphics and some just doing a unisex thing.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a little concerned with how light they are and if that will make them chatter-y, but everyone raves about them, so want to test them out.

I replaced my old 98mm waist Blizzard Bonafide 180cm skis with a 180cm Kore 93. I find on hard pack that the Bonafide has a grippy feel under foot with the tip waving at me while the Kore 93 tip has less "tip waving" with better performance on hard pack and equally as good as the Bonafide in soft snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Correct me if I am wrong here but there is no "women's" or "men's" Kore 93, just shorter and longer versions of the same ski with the 180cm length being 93mm wide at the waist and the width dimensions for tip, waist, and tail going down for shorter skis and the width dimensions increasing for skis longer than 180cm.

There will be a women't Kore W...in name only.

Changing dimensions with each ski length requires manufacturers to use a separate mold for each length making construction slightly more expensive. It is an attempt to make the skiing experience the same for all skiers regardless of the size of the skier. A lot of brands do this with their better skis with some changing the name (men's and woman's) and/or graphics and some just doing a unisex thing.
Correct.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
They won't be that damp. If Salomon has the new QST 99, that will be damper. Mindbeder Alliance 98 will be damper too but I don't think there are any in your size yet. Same with the new Volkl Secret 102.

Thanks @Philpug - I'll look for those Salomons. Volkl won't be there, so I'll have to test those another time. I'd probably look at the 92 more as a daily driver. I didn't like the Aura (which everyone loved), so hopefully it's not like that.

Head, K2, Nordica, Salomon, Blizzard, Atomic, and Rossi will all be at the demo, so should be fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Philpug - I'll look for those Salomons. Volkl won't be there, so I'll have to test those another time. I'd probably look at the 92 more as a daily driver. I didn't like the Aura (which everyone loved), so hopefully it's not like that.

Head, K2, Nordica, Salomon, Blizzard, Atomic, and Rossi will all be at the demo, so should be fun.
Tough for you will be the size. You might like the Secret 92...it is nothing like the old Aura. Stop by Salomon for sure...they will have some options for you.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm an unabashed fan of the Nordica Santa Ana 88. I've skied them in EVERYTHING now. Every time, I comment, "damn, I love these skis!"
The new Salomon QST 92 women's is a REALLY nice ski, too. I didn't care for previous versions.
Definitely get out on the K2 Mindbender 88.

Sponsor

Staff online