• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys,

I am wondering how would you compare these 2 skis. I am an aspiring intermediate (~15 days/yr) looking for a frontside ski that I can work with to refine my techniques. I am 6'2 160lb and live in Seattle/PNW. I have been on HEAD rev75 (a beginner ski?) for 3 years. In general I like how they feel, especially turning on groomed snow at speed, but I hate the 9mm binding ramp and the bumpiness when going through crud at medium speed (exhaust my leg muscles in 3 runs).

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Atomic will have about zero ramp and the iTitan still has basically the same binding design from our Rev's (That changes next year). The Atomic would be the next logical progession for you. One of my favorite skis in that class, easy and relaxed when you need it, yet can ramp it up on demand. The iTitan will require much more of your attention almost all the time.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Atomic will have about zero ramp and the iTitan still has basically the same binding design from our Rev's (That changes next year). The Atomic would be the next logical progession for you. One of my favorite skis in that class, easy and relaxed when you need it, yet can ramp it up on demand. The iTitan will require much more of your attention almost all the time.

I am heavier than the OP, (also intermediate) and have found the X80 to be stiff and wide enough already. Any advantage or disadvantage to going to the wider, stiffer X83?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am heavier than the OP, (also intermediate) and have found the X80 to be stiff and wide enough already. Any advantage or disadvantage to going to the wider, stiffer X83?
The 83 will have a better binding, the Warden derived system.

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier

Thank you! By much more attention you meant iTitan is stiffer and harder to manage at slower intermediate speeds?

I am also curious would you still recommend x83 instead of x80 if I will only be using alpine boots with these skis? Does the Warden binding have other advantages compared to the XT12 bindings? Also for some reason I seem to be able to find a few pairs of x80 cti on the Internet with Warden 13 DT binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you! By much more attention you meant iTitan is stiffer and harder to manage at slower intermediate speeds?

I am also curious would you still recommend x83 instead of x80 if I will only be using alpine boots with these skis? Does the Warden binding have other advantages compared to the XT12 bindings? Also for some reason I seem to be able to find a few pairs of x80 cti on the Internet with Warden 13 DT binding.
the Warden is latterally more rigid than the Z12 derived lower end binding plus it is MNC so it will accept all boot soles. There are some X80's with the Wardens, there was a change at some point. As far as the 83 over the 80? If you find a deal on the 80...with the Warden, go for it.

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
I am not terribly familiar with Atomic's ski lines. The last ski of theirs I tried was the last gen Blackeye ti. It was a solid ski, but didn't stand out in any one way. Just planted and predictable. I believe the Vantage line replaced it.

However the Titan is a slightly different animal. The Monster would probably be the more similar comparison.

Compared to the Vantage, the Titan has a more Racing DNA, which is probably what Philpug is referring to. It is a stiffer ski with 2 titanal layers instead of 1 on the Vantage. It has a tighter turning radius and is designed to be pushed faster on edge and still be stable and perform. It has KERS which is designed to rebound more energy out of a turn.
Basically it is a Front side biased Carving ski, where as the Monster or Vantage are more an all around ski that isn't as focused on speed. Not to say that you can't ski slower on the Titan, but but it wants to go fast.
Think Subaru Outback vs WRX; they will both go everywhere, but the WRX can handle faster speeds, but has stiffer suspension to deal with all the time

In my opinion with 3 years under your belt you would do fine with either. So where do you see yourself in a year or two? Do you want to push toward carving and going faster? Or do you prefer a calmer speed on the hill?

As Philpug says, the Vantage is technically the next level up, but if something more Titan-like is your goal as far as skiing style. I would go straight for those.

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
the Warden is latterally more rigid than the Z12 derived lower end binding plus it is MNC so it will accept all boot soles. There are some X80's with the Wardens, there was a change at some point. As far as the 83 over the 80? If you find a deal on the 80...with the Warden, go for it.

Got it. I am keeping an close eye on both, right now the prices for them seem very similar around $679. I wonder when will the MAP be lifted.

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
I am not terribly familiar with Atomic's ski lines. The last ski of theirs I tried was the last gen Blackeye ti. It was a solid ski, but didn't stand out in any one way. Just planted and predictable. I believe the Vantage line replaced it.

However the Titan is a slightly different animal. The Monster would probably be the more similar comparison.

Compared to the Vantage, the Titan has a more Racing DNA, which is probably what Philpug is referring to. It is a stiffer ski with 2 titanal layers instead of 1 on the Vantage. It has a tighter turning radius and is designed to be pushed faster on edge and still be stable and perform. It has KERS which is designed to rebound more energy out of a turn.
Basically it is a Front side biased Carving ski, where as the Monster or Vantage are more an all around ski that isn't as focused on speed. Not to say that you can't ski slower on the Titan, but but it wants to go fast.
Think Subaru Outback vs WRX; they will both go everywhere, but the WRX can handle faster speeds, but has stiffer suspension to deal with all the time

In my opinion with 3 years under your belt you would do fine with either. So where do you see yourself in a year or two? Do you want to push toward carving and going faster? Or do you prefer a calmer speed on the hill?

As Philpug says, the Vantage is technically the next level up, but if something more Titan-like is your goal as far as skiing style. I would go straight for those.

Thanks for your advice. I definitely enjoy carving on the groomed runs. when the stars line up, I love how my 170 rev75 can pop me into the next turn with minimal effort aside from allowing the skis to push my legs up. I demoed rossignol E88 HD 180 before, and while it felt like a high-speed tank with incredible stability, I also found it to be not very agile/lively and somewhat numb for my taste (forgive my ignorance if I need to calibrate my taste given it was the 2nd pair of skis I ever skied on). So I am worried about getting onto skis that are too stiff, given I am fairly lightweight and I am not sure if I have what it takes to bend those skis.

Last edited:

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Thanks for your advice. I definitely enjoy carving on the groomed runs. when the stars line up, I love how my 170 rev75 can pop me into the next turn with minimal effort aside from allowing the skis to push my legs up. I demoed rossignol E88 HD 180 before, and while it felt like a high-speed tank with incredible stability, I also found it to be not very agile/lively and somewhat numb for my taste (forgive my ignorance if I need to calibrate my taste given it was the 2nd pair of skis I ever skied on).

If you love popping from turn to turn, I wouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger for a set of Rally's or Titans. They will be like blending the stability of the E88HD with the playfulness of your Rev 75. Keep your weight forward and you will be greatly rewarded. :)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I shimmed under the track plate on my Ititans because the ramp is insane.

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
If you love popping from turn to turn, I wouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger for a set of Rally's or Titans. They will be like blending the stability of the E88HD with the playfulness of your Rev 75. Keep your weight forward and you will be greatly rewarded. :)

Sounds like a great fit! Would they be too intense for an intermediate/advanced skier?

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
The them of the Rally's is turn, turn, turn. Moving the bindings a couple clicks forward too does amazing things as well. Rally's and Titans are awesome.

Do you think they might be too intense for an intermediate who can only enjoy blue runs under any condition, enjoy black runs under good condition, and survive bumps?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Do you think they might be too intense for an intermediate who can only enjoy blue runs under any condition, enjoy black runs under good condition, and survive bumps?

I don't think they'd be too intense for you at all. We sound similar as I'm an intermediate myself and they were recommended to me by someone on here. I haven't had them in bumps so I can't speak to them there but I've had them on blues and the occasional black and they are just a blast to ski. I feel like they are a ski you don't have to be on all the time but if you push them they are right there with you. I haven't had them in bumps but have had them in a few inches of powder and a bit of slush and they are a great ski. I teach in them and they are super compliant for whatever I ask of them. I also free ski in them and they do whatever I want. Do you have them available to demo? I just think the Rally is a great all around versatile ski that's good for an intermediate and up.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
You'll be fine at your skill level, but I wouldn't want to encourage the use of them as a bump ski. If you spend more time in moguls than just the occasional run, a ski that has a more rounded tail and less aggressive shovel would be better than the head frontside skis. The tips like to engage quickly on them, not ideal for spending lots of time in trees and bumps. I'd grab up a new old stock Latigo for that first.

If you spend 80%+ of your time on groomers, you will be sporting a permagrin from them. Just keep pressure on the tongue of the boot and they will dance a jig.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You'll be fine at your skill level, but I wouldn't want to encourage the use of them as a bump ski. If you spend more time in moguls than just the occasional run, a ski that has a more rounded tail and less aggressive shovel would be better than the head frontside skis. The tips like to engage quickly on them, not ideal for spending lots of time in trees and bumps. I'd grab up a new old stock Latigo for that first.

If you spend 80%+ of your time on groomers, you will be sporting a permagrin from them. Just keep pressure on the tongue of the boot and they will dance a jig.
But the Atomic will fill the technical attributes of the Rally with the bump/off piste ability of the Latigo.

TS
valeyard

valeyard

Booting up
Skier
I don't think they'd be too intense for you at all. We sound similar as I'm an intermediate myself and they were recommended to me by someone on here. I haven't had them in bumps so I can't speak to them there but I've had them on blues and the occasional black and they are just a blast to ski. I feel like they are a ski you don't have to be on all the time but if you push them they are right there with you. I haven't had them in bumps but have had them in a few inches of powder and a bit of slush and they are a great ski. I teach in them and they are super compliant for whatever I ask of them. I also free ski in them and they do whatever I want. Do you have them available to demo? I just think the Rally is a great all around versatile ski that's good for an intermediate and up.

Great, I wasn't able to find them last time. Btw, I demo'ed Vantage X 80 CTI the other day, and I really liked the smooth ride in crud. It felt light and nimble but definitely accelerates faster somehow compared to my rev75. I also liked the flat ramp. I am curious how different would HEAD ititan/irally + prd binding be.

Sponsor

Staff online