• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
How does the Laser AX compare to the iRally? Has there ever been a comparison? I searched but couldn’t find one.

There’s often talk about the right ski for the right person. What are some characteristics that would cause to someone prefer one over the other?

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than MSRP and the fact that the Rally is a system ski and the AX is flat....

The Rally has a more pronounced sidecut than the AX. I used to own the Rally; it was a fun ski that needed to be worked and felt a bit stiff in bumps (at least for me).

I am sure several here have skied both.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
IME the Head has less bandwidth, as far as comfort, across a wide range of conditions. The Head feels a bit more like my Stockli SC's than AX's. If you are looking for more all-mountain - AX. If you are looking for more groomer / carver - Head or SC.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I used to own the AX and now own the Rally. At the time I thought the Rally was more versatile. I was wrong. I love my Rally's but they aren't a ton of fun in bumps. It's a great ski though so it's not going anywhere. I keep them at one of the mountains where I teach. I wouldn't mind getting a pair of Laxer AXs for the condo. My SO has the Laser AX and he freakin loves those things.

Lance

Booting up
Skier
The AX is a lot more versatile and personally I think it's a lot more fun. It's hard to describe the AX until you get on them, but in short, they do everything well. They're stiff when you want to charge at higher speeds, but relatively soft when you want to cruise or hit the bumps. They're easy to ski, but they're not noodles, you can push them.

I found that the Rally makes one turn shape, and it's great if you want to make that same turn on groomers/hard pack all day. Otherwise, I felt like I was fighting with the ski to do anything else.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
in my review a couple of seasons back I called it a narrow all mountain ski. that, and its more glued to the snow, stable feeling than the Rally. Its far more versatile. I never really warmed up to the Rally.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied both those skis in August (in Australia). Did not really get along with the AX whereas I loved the iRally. It's quick, nimble ski - tilt and go. Also found it a lot of fun in the bumps.

Will be buying ski for the upcoming North season and iRally top of the list atm.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@geepers, that's definitely my impression of the Rally. Haven't been on a Laser AX yet for comparison.

I have demoed the Laser SC, which I would expect to be closer to the Rally.

It's hard to compare them directly, since I didn't have them on the same day (or even same trip), but the Laser SC was probably a little quicker edge to edge and a little more damp in general and forgiving at the low end. Plenty of power and edge hold if you want to open either ski up, though. (The Rallys were really nice on the world cup training course at Mammoth this past spring, when they opened it up in the afternoons.)

Both skis were 170.

Sponsor

Staff online