• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bnet_Bandit

Plastic Slapper
Skier
Fast background, 29 did all the junior stuff, went to college now here I am.

I am getting back into racing, and wanting to get a new pair of GS skis, I really like the head stuff so far. Have a beer league I mess around in as well New York Masters, the issue is the right radius for our smaller hills over here. I was thinking of the 176-23 option from head, but am wondering if I could get away on the 25M.

210#'s, still technically sound, and really strong lower half.

And are the Head Rebels I speed with the plate worth looking at in the 185cm

Last edited:

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Welcome Bnet... I have a similar background as you, got back into it 3 seasons ago, and now do beer league and masters on small hills, so hopefully my input can be helpful. It probably depends on how technically sound you are at this point as you knock the rust off. If what you mean by all the junior stuff was regional USSA or more and you were competitive, at 210 lbs the 176 might be a little soft and short for you pretty soon. I’m 165lbs and currently faster and more comfortable on the 181 head than I was on the 175 Rossi master. That was an 18 meter ski but it works pretty well in a 20 meter course. It’s just too short and turny in a bigger GS set. I ski with some fast guys on the longer length 18-20 meter cheaters, but most of the really fast strong guys are on a 23+ meter radius, even on 300’ hills. Hope this helps.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@210#......don’t waste your money. The 176 is basically a junior ski...you will fold it up! And if you are racing masters as well - where our GS setting spec is 23-30 min/ max - even more reason not to. A short, smallradius ski is a recipe for disaster - and potential injury - in masters. Even for beer league I would advocate for a 25m ski at your weight/size, and for masters I am a big fan of the 30m women’s ski, especially if your background is as you suggest.

The Head GS is, contrary to popular misconception, at the softer end of the GS spectrum. Not necessarily a bad thing, most GS skis have been going softer in recent years. If you are going with head make sure you get one with the proper (black, 2 piece) RD race plate, NOT the pretend iSpeed plate

Oh, and BTW, regardless of the size of your hills we have new national specs for masters sets (GS as above) . We do NOT go below minimum distance even for small hills. The setter can of course bring it more across the hill to make this min distance but on a smaller hill that does not really make sense if you wat to get any flow in the course

TS
Bnet_Bandit

Bnet_Bandit

Plastic Slapper
Skier
Yeah, this is exactly what I was looking for in a response, the last time I had bought a real GS ski it was when 181-21 was the standard. oh how times have changed, ironically the 188-30 is what got me back into loving racing again. Might be an unpopular opinion but there is a ton of GS options anymore vs my dated view of GS skis

@210#......don’t waste your money. The 176 is basically a junior ski...you will fold it up! And if you are racing masters as well - where our GS setting spec is 23-30 min/ max - even more reason not to. A short, smallradius ski is a recipe for disaster - and potential injury - in masters. Even for beer league I would advocate for a 25m ski at your weight/size, and for masters I am a big fan of the 30m women’s ski, especially if your background is as you suggest.

The Head GS is, contrary to popular misconception, at the softer end of the GS spectrum. Not necessarily a bad thing, most GS skis have been going softer in recent years. If you are going with head make sure you get one with the proper (black, 2 piece) RD race plate, NOT the pretend iSpeed plate

Oh, and BTW, regardless of the size of your hills we have new national specs for masters sets (GS as above) . We do NOT go below minimum distance even for small hills. The setter can of course bring it more across the hill to make this min distance but on a smaller hill that does not really make sense if you wat to get any flow in the course

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
By the way, I agree with @ScotsSkier about the Heads, the shovels especially on my 181's are not very stiff.

And thanks for the heads up on the updated course setting matrix. I'm not an official or coach, so I hadn't been aware of this yet.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I should also clarify. the Head being softer than some others is not necessarily a bad thing! This is not like the "olden days" where a GS ski had to be stiff like an RSJ! In fact you would be surprised at how soft the flex is on many GS skis on the WC. Particularly with the bigger radius (30/35) GS skis virtually all brands went significantly softer in flex (but NOT torsional rigidity!) in order that the ski could be bent into a tighter radius in a course. As you go to a smaller radius they may become a bit stiffer - witness the mens 193/30 WC GS which is stiffer than the previous 195/35m ski (and also stiffer than the womens 30m GS ski as the mens ski is intended for a stronger/heavier athlete) .
Too often athletes struggle with a ski that is too stiff for them and they can not bend it into the required turn shape so to some extent softer is good. But in the case of the OP
@ 210# there are limits! In general though very few adult "racers" outside FIS/WC are ever going to find they are overpowering a 188/30 womens FIS GS ski. Of course if you are trying to use a U16 or 'tweener" ski, built for a still maturing body, skier weight becomes important

TS
Bnet_Bandit

Bnet_Bandit

Plastic Slapper
Skier
I would like to take a second to thank everyone for the responses, had no idea this site existed until several days ago. It is great to have actual skiers who ride the equipment, even shops can be hit or miss about racing stuff anymore. Going to pull the trigger on a 25m set, and I could not be more excited to get into this season.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I ended up getting some 2015 186/25m heads but haven't skied them yet. Kind of regretting not getting the womens 188/30m now but I'm not going to be doing much gs.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to take a second to thank everyone for the responses, had no idea this site existed until several days ago. It is great to have actual skiers who ride the equipment, even shops can be hit or miss about racing stuff anymore. Going to pull the trigger on a 25m set, and I could not be more excited to get into this season.

Yup, that is a good choice for your requirements, will work well for beer league and tighter masters sets

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
2B03C4DA-8547-4230-9043-A98F307A1E21.jpeg
912CFAF4-E8EE-4D7F-BB49-E736396582DB.jpeg

Raced x2 by wife (current Masters SG & SL champ); 4 runs in gates; wc tune & hotbox’d.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
You may want to consider the HEAD 2018 World Cup Rebels iSpeed RP EVO 14 Skis: 185-19 I bought these and have an older version I still ski on. Ski preferences are really individualistic but they worked for me on masters GS courses in New England 6' 1" 215 lbs. Mind you I am not that fast or good a skier. I also tried 183 womens FIS 25 m Head skis but still preferred the I speed version. Mens FIS version was way to stiff to bend for me. These might be OK if you are a strong skier as you need speed to bend them.The Ispeed may not be the fastest but I like I can carve the edge and hold it and not skid the turns too much. Its a better ski than I am a skier. Excellent consistent quality and construction. There are many good skis out there but you may want to consider them.

Sponsor