• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My new gloves.jpg

Hoping to have warm hands in January/February this season.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
And the hits just keep on coming... ;)

Today I added an almost new pair of 2020 Head Monster 88 Ti (177cm) as a modern replacement for my old Scott Crusade skis. The skis looked like they had maybe only 2 days of skiing on them. Came with Attack2 13 demos too. The 2020 has NGT (the 2019 was a brand new design) and now has red sidewalls... so that they go faster. ;)

It will probably be some time before these see snow though. :(

2020-head-monster-88-ski-test-horizontal.jpg

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Just bought an Ikon Pass for the guys’ trip to Utah in February and spring break trip to Squaw and Mammoth at the end of March for spring break. Might have to sneak in a short trip to Steamboat in early March. Got a lot of FF miles and good skiing so might be doable.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a new wax iron (the small cheap one that is sold under lots of brand names and colors), an iron stand for the end of the bench, and a block of CH7 from @RaceWax.com. I've never liked the (bigger and more expensive) iron I had to buy retail (only one I could find in brick and mortar) when my old small cheap one died after many years of faithful service.

I think I'm going to buy a pair of those heated gloves that @pais alto mentioned on the cold hands thread, too.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I just put bindings on my new Stormrider 88s. It’s funny, I felt good about picking up inexpensive year-old bindings on a whim, even though I was iffy about the bright yellow, and then I end up spending a bunch on Fischer boots and Stockli skis. The Fischer yellow does look good with the bindings though, so it worked out!

603B8C07-3353-4908-B39E-38C061E5646C.jpeg 97F97FEA-17FA-4DCC-A52A-81F367978F3F.jpeg

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nordica Speedmachine 130 boots and Smith I/O Mag Goggles

BRING ON THE SNOW!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like some serious canting there.

Yes after skiing with my supervisor at Bromley last year they had me stand on this balance thing to further analyze my stance. I then went to my bootfitter who did the same thing and after spending a few minutes looking at my stance Nick adjusted the canting. Took a few ski runs so that it didn't feel strange but it feels great now. When I got my new boots he did all the same adjustments including the canting.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The Fischer RC4 Curv 130 boots I bought super cheap are crazy soft. So soft that it was weighing on my mind as to whether they were really going to be the right boot for soft days and minor mountain scrambling to the "secret" stashes. I did some research on possible replacements and found the 2018 Nordica GPX 130. And once again found it for ridiculously cheap brand new. So I pulled the trigger.

1718_boot_nordica_gpx_130_promo.jpg

The GPX 130 is the direct predecessor to the ProMachine 130, but was built on the same mono-injected race boot platform as the GP 140. The ProMachine is part of the Machine series and not built on the GP "detuned" race boot platform. I'm hoping that the GPX 130 is exactly what I was looking for to replace my old Head Raptor Overkill.

The Fischer boots will find a new home on my youngest son's feet. :)

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The Fischer RC4 Curv 130 boots I bought super cheap are crazy soft. So soft that it was weighing on my mind as to whether they were really going to be the right boot for soft days and minor mountain scrambling to the "secret" stashes. I did some research on possible replacements and found the 2018 Nordica GPX 130. And once again found it for ridiculously cheap brand new. So I pulled the trigger.

View attachment 83325

The GPX 130 is the direct predecessor to the ProMachine 130, but was built on the same mono-injected race boot platform as the GP 140. The ProMachine is part of the Machine series and not built on the GP "detuned" race boot platform. I'm hoping that the GPX 130 is exactly what I was looking for to replace my old Head Raptor Overkill.

The Fischer boots will find a new home on my youngest son's feet. :)

Maiden voyage complete for the GPX 130. These are everything I needed them to be, but maybe still a touch soft. They'll be fine on cold days (which today was not).

As far as I can tell, this is a de-tuned race boot in all-mountain clothing. It pretty much looks like Nordica took the Dobermann GP 130 and added replaceable soles and slightly softer bootboard and dubbed it the GPX 130. I like this approach, but we need manufacturers to do it with even stiffer shells. :)

I happened to be in a ski shop yesterday evening to register for a demo day. To register you have to bring in your boots and I brought the GPX 130 for the demo day (since there's lots of walking around in your boots - I like to use boots with replaceable soles for these events).

Anyhow, they had the Promachine 130 on the wall so I looked more closely at how it compared to the GPX 130. The Promachine is not derived from the race boot at all. The last shape and fit is quite different and the bootboard is a thinner piece of plastic (not really grindable for fit adjustments). It has the same great liner, but it doesn't have the full motion pivot for cuff alignment or the same power strap.

I'm glad I found the GPX 130, but I'm concerned that this type of boot is no longer in Nordica's line-up. I'd love to see more manufacturers take their high performance/race boot models and make them more "all-mountain" friendly.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maiden voyage complete for the GPX 130. These are everything I needed them to be, but maybe still a touch soft. They'll be fine on cold days (which today was not).

As far as I can tell, this is a de-tuned race boot in all-mountain clothing. It pretty much looks like Nordica took the Dobermann GP 130 and added replaceable soles and slightly softer bootboard and dubbed it the GPX 130. I like this approach, but we need manufacturers to do it with even stiffer shells. :)

I happened to be in a ski shop yesterday evening to register for a demo day. To register you have to bring in your boots and I brought the GPX 130 for the demo day (since there's lots of walking around in your boots - I like to use boots with replaceable soles for these events).

Anyhow, they had the Promachine 130 on the wall so I looked more closely at how it compared to the GPX 130. The Promachine is not derived from the race boot at all. The last shape and fit is quite different and the bootboard is a thinner piece of plastic (not really grindable for fit adjustments). It has the same great liner, but it doesn't have the full motion pivot for cuff alignment or the same power strap.

I'm glad I found the GPX 130, but I'm concerned that this type of boot is no longer in Nordica's line-up. I'd love to see more manufacturers take their high performance/race boot models and make them more "all-mountain" friendly.

I own both the Promachine (too soft) and the GP Doberman 130 (just right stiffness). The fit inside these two boots are initially incredibly similar if not the same. On the outside they look different, different design and materials, but they feel the same inside, as if the same interior mold or largely so interiorwise. The Promachine shell and liner, however, are heat fit. So the toe area exands if the process is done right. Not so with the GP 130s. So the 130s don't fit so well for me in the toes, even after fitting; while both boots fit like a glove everywhere else. The GPX, I was told, has more padding, different plastic. Dunno. (They would probably be too soft for me, but not sure.)

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I've paid for my Epic Local Pass, does that count?

As for gear, this year, I'm only considering:
  • another low light lens for my goggles,
  • an extra set of ski poles and
  • maybe a new pair of gloves.
I couldn't stick to my plan. :nono: Went and ordered a new pair of boots. Will have to take them to get liners cooked and custom footbeds.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I couldn't stick to my plan. :nono: Went and ordered a new pair of boots. Will have to take them to get liners cooked and custom footbeds.

You're not alone so don't feel bad. I couldn't stick to my 'no ski related purchases' plan either and picked up the few things listed below. I'm looking at base and mid-layers right now.

Strafe Expedition FX neoshell jacket in light blue / dark blue
Strafe Temerity neoshell shell pants in matching light blue
Uclear Motion 6 bluetooth headsets so my son and I can use intercoms and/or listen to music

Sponsor

Staff online