• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Thanks for the thoughts @4ster ... My current helmet is a Smith Variance XL (63-67 cm)... I've got a big head. :cool: Looking around online today, many models don't come that large... my selection may be limited. But I'll definitely check out Pret later in the fall - I think my local shop carries them. But shops around here won't usually stock most gear until mid-October or so.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^^
Thanks for the thoughts @4ster ... My current helmet is a Smith Variance XL (63-67 cm)... I've got a big head. :cool: Looking around online today, many models don't come that large... my selection may be limited. But I'll definitely check out Pret later in the fall - I think my local shop carries them. But shops around here won't usually stock most gear until mid-October or so.
Yeah, you got a noggin. Unfortunately most XL, 2XL helmets have limited color options.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just MHO here, but these two are very different skis. Bigger folks will gravitate to the Rossis, lighter to the Menace. The latter though is a heck of a deal if it's the right ski.

SkiEssentials calls them “very similar skis” and Blistergear mentioned the Menace 98 in the Black Ops 98 review as they have “similar shape and weight” and the measured flex patterns were almost identical with the Black Ops 98 being a hair(0-5%) stiffer and the menace being heavier.

I think one of the biggest differences that people have felt between these skis lies in mount recommendations with the BO 98 having a single line 4.75cm back from center and the Menace 98 has 2 lines, with one for freestyle at 1.75cm back from center and the all mountain line back at 7.75cm back. Typical ski demos will probably put you on the 4.75cm rec line on the BO 98 and 7.75cm back on the Menace 98(unless the person demoing mentions freestyle or laps in the Park). People on here debate .5cm or 1cm differences in binding mounts so you can imagine a 3cm difference on similar skis. If you mounted both at the 5cm back range for example, their similarities would start to grow.

BO 98 has a slight bit more taper tip/tail (but very little compared to most freestyle skis near that width) compared to the Menace so the BO is a hair more surfy in soft snow and the menace a hair more “locked in” on turns on harder snow. Slightly longer turning radius and higher weight of the Menace make for slightly better crud performance while the lower swing weight on the BO makes them easier to spin in the air.
All these differences aren’t huge and if you like one you’d probably like the other.(Again when comparing them to each other in similar mount positions). Both are fun, playful skis that are blast all over the mountain.

Also, either ski should be “sized up” as they are twin tips with tip/tail rocker and fairly forgiving flex patterns. Skier weight range on either the 182 BO or 181cm Menace would be in the 150-190lbs range and those over 200lbs should really be on the 187cm menace or 192 BO especially if the skier is aggressive or skis in more open areas.

Both great skis and I could happily live with either. I prefer the top sheets of the Black Ops but I also like the prices on “old stock” Slicer skis. ogsmile

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seeing is so over rated. Go spend a season at W/B and you will be cured of this requirement for seeing.

View attachment 78693
Nope, I'm a scientist, more data please!

Found some Smith IOX with Storm Yellow and Sun Platinum on sale while sitting in the airport. Should be here by Friday. I doubt I'll get much use of the sun lens out east.

Does a new SUV count if you bought it to enable your ski trips?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Nope, I'm a scientist, more data please!

Found some Smith IOX with Storm Yellow and Sun Platinum on sale while sitting in the airport. Should be here by Friday. I doubt I'll get much use of the sun lens out east.

Does a new SUV count if you bought it to enable your ski trips?

My SO loves his Smith IOX lenses. SUV definitely counts, especially if it's for ease of ski trips.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Data - need some. Sometimes, you just got to believe. Isn't that where the fun is?
New SUV - probably.
Goggle lens, over rated.

Skiing is mostly a head game. Most over think it.

However, it is nice to be prepared.
My current goggle collection is at eight of the exact same frame and about 22 lens. I wear the same two pairs through out the season. One dark and one light. The others are there just in case.
No worries, mate. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
SkiEssentials calls them “very similar skis” and Blistergear mentioned the Menace 98 in the Black Ops 98 review as they have “similar shape and weight” and the measured flex patterns were almost identical with the Black Ops 98 being a hair(0-5%) stiffer and the menace being heavier.

I think one of the biggest differences that people have felt between these skis lies in mount recommendations with the BO 98 having a single line 4.75cm back from center and the Menace 98 has 2 lines, with one for freestyle at 1.75cm back from center and the all mountain line back at 7.75cm back. Typical ski demos will probably put you on the 4.75cm rec line on the BO 98 and 7.75cm back on the Menace 98(unless the person demoing mentions freestyle or laps in the Park). People on here debate .5cm or 1cm differences in binding mounts so you can imagine a 3cm difference on similar skis. If you mounted both at the 5cm back range for example, their similarities would start to grow.

BO 98 has a slight bit more taper tip/tail (but very little compared to most freestyle skis near that width) compared to the Menace so the BO is a hair more surfy in soft snow and the menace a hair more “locked in” on turns on harder snow. Slightly longer turning radius and higher weight of the Menace make for slightly better crud performance while the lower swing weight on the BO makes them easier to spin in the air.
All these differences aren’t huge and if you like one you’d probably like the other.(Again when comparing them to each other in similar mount positions). Both are fun, playful skis that are blast all over the mountain.

Also, either ski should be “sized up” as they are twin tips with tip/tail rocker and fairly forgiving flex patterns. Skier weight range on either the 182 BO or 181cm Menace would be in the 150-190lbs range and those over 200lbs should really be on the 187cm menace or 192 BO especially if the skier is aggressive or skis in more open areas.

Both great skis and I could happily live with either. I prefer the top sheets of the Black Ops but I also like the prices on “old stock” Slicer skis. ogsmile

My opinion is formed having skied/tested them both. I understand quite clearly who these are for, how rocker, mount point, etc... affect them. My personal preference is irrelevant unless one's narrative and general preferences are similar. Imho, it isn't difficult to determine who might like one vs. the other because, well, the differences are discernable.
:beercheer:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Thanks for the thoughts @4ster ... My current helmet is a Smith Variance XL (63-67 cm)... I've got a big head. :cool: .

Could of considered being a film star, read that many of the big stars have heads larger than average. Guess it makes them steal the scene. ogsmile

My 2020 gear purchase will be for 2024 ... least wise that'll be when their in my price allowance.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
F66DD56E-0995-41FD-A641-8DA45F5E15E9.jpeg

They arrived Saturday but I was out of town until today. Fun thing to come home to. They are in near perfect condition out of the Pugski demo fleet. @Philpug, do you have any idea if these prototypes are going into production this year?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm intrigued by the shape. not much tip rocker, low rise, longer run which I tend to prefer however, the tail has slightly more rise but considerably longer run. It reminds me of the Faction ct 3.0 which I loved in anything under about 14-16". Flex is fairly soft tips (near the rockered area) and then they stiffen up pretty quickly, for a powder centric ski, it feels really good. I would say 6 tips, 7-7.5 shovel, 9 underfoot, 7-7.5 tails. They feel torsionally stiff. now what will be interesting is when the HTD kicks in. Also 5-7mm of camber which I love. I will measure up later.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
19/20 Dalbello Lupo Pro HD, look forward to testing the PU lower and hopefully make this my one boot quiver for a bit.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
July and August are always crazy months with all the incoming new students and residents—total chaos. While I was born in Hawaii and am used to tropical weather, the local heatwave we had this past week caused me to dream of mountains and snow. I figured the best way to break the summer doldrums was to get some new fun skis:

View attachment 78709

I always liked my old Brahma's, so I figured I would try a pair of the new Brahma 82's to serve in conjunction with the Enforcer 88's I picked up this past Spring for on-piste cruising and moguls.
Got myself the same ski in 88 mm - looking forward to try them out :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, I should’ve checked this thread sooner, I apparently missed out on a few discounts.

I haven’t made any purchases yet, so no new clothing required, and boots are good. What I am looking at is

Crossbars for my newer Subaru Forester
Kulkea Thermal boot bag
Smith Yellow Flash Storm lenses for either I/Os or I/O7
Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo bindings
And either ON3P BillyGoat in 184 or Woodsman 108 in 182. If I was really spending $ I might get the Woodman 96 and the Billygoat. Either way it will quiver up with my Renoun Z90 (new last year).

Sponsor

Staff online