• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Like many have mentioned, the best deals are always in March/April when 2019 product are 40-50% off retail and most popular sizes/products are sold out within a few weeks. 2020 products won’t be blown out till next Spring unless you get pro deals etc now. I got blow out prices on 2019 Enforcer 93s in March and just okay deals on my 2020 Enforcer 104(although bindings were at cost).

Always looking for a good bargain. Currently searching for a pair of Rossi Black Ops 98s. If anyone happens to run across a pair for < $450 USD, I'll appreciate a shout.
clone.jpg

If you’re looking for deals on a very similar ski, a few Pug members have got the 2019 Dynastar Slicer which is 98 underfoot which can be had for $300 CAN/$240 US at Corbetts.com/AsoGear.com right now. They still have a few 175cm/181cm sizes left. The Slicer is now called the Menace 98 and it’s a touch heavier and a hair softer than the Black Ops 98 but very similar flex patterns. Most people who have skied both find the Slicer slightly better in crud and more forgiving in bumps. Both are fun playful skis and either would be great but the current Slicer deal is insane!

Reviews of the Slicer now renamed Menace 98.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-dynastar-menace-98

http://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-dynastar-menace-98/

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Semi annual Patagonia sale (up to 50% off past seasons) started yesterday.....daughters of course, found a few things.....lol.

My purchases begin soon as proform begins.....or when @Ron puts up his gear....lol

Reactions: Ron

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you’re looking for deals on a very similar ski, a few Pug members have got the 2019 Dynastar Slicer which is 98 underfoot which can be had for $300 CAN/$240 US at Corbetts.com/AsoGear.com right now. They still have a few 175cm/181cm sizes left. The Slicer is now called the Menace 98 and it’s a touch heavier and a hair softer than the Black Ops 98 but very similar flex patterns. Most people who have skied both find the Slicer slightly better in crud and more forgiving in bumps. Both are fun playful skis and either would be great but the current Slicer deal is insane!/

Just MHO here, but these two are very different skis. Bigger folks will gravitate to the Rossis, lighter to the Menace. The latter though is a heck of a deal if it's the right ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That Slicer/Menace has had more lives than most cats.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Waiting for @Ron to tell me he had a black FRS jacket. Otherwise I'm just gonna rock the Costco $15 black softshell as my patrol wear.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well last night, my DH turned to me out of the blue and said, "you should get new goggles before next season." My current ones are some old random pair we found in a garage. They were always functional, but just barely...
We talk about boots, boots, and skis, but if you can't see where you're going...

Despite new ones last year I'm still looking for another good deal on low light goggles.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My helmet will be 5 years old this season... so probably about time to get a new one... no idea what yet, but I want something other than the basic black that I have now.

Reactions: Ron

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Better reception, too...

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This week’s delivery, 19/20 171 Blizzard Zero G 85 with Pomoca S-Glide skins (figured I need the extra grip for the narrow skis) and Kingpins. Last summer, I struggled with a 184 Fischer Ranger 84 with frame bindings, plus a lot of other heavy gear, more on account of injury-induced dysfunction than the gear. Though I am regaining strength, I still need to keep the weight down. So, 85 instead of 95, 171 instead of 178 or longer, pin bindings instead of frame, plus tours that do not require sleeping bag and where, hopefully, a 26L pack is sufficient, rather than a 40L.

One more thing to get, a light weight ice axe. I’m thinking the Petzl Glacier Literide, https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-ice-axe. Recommendations welcome.

I’m also thinking of ditching my relatively heavy goretex shell for a lighter weight one, though it won’t have a powder skirt. But, these aren’t powder skis anyway.

Oh, I’m also going to replace my sunglasses, the ones fitted with duct tape side-shields, with Oakley GasCan’s. With a long-brimmed hat, I’ll have full coverage from all sides.

Really looking forward to seeing how the skis ski. Radius of 21.5 for a 85 waisted 171 length. They’re longer radius than last year’s model, at 19, and even than 180! Brahma 88’s, at 17.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
might not work so well in the trees.... but you'll look marvelous on the groomers.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
July and August are always crazy months with all the incoming new students and residents—total chaos. While I was born in Hawaii and am used to tropical weather, the local heatwave we had this past week caused me to dream of mountains and snow. I figured the best way to break the summer doldrums was to get some new fun skis:

Brahma 82 180.JPG

I always liked my old Brahma's, so I figured I would try a pair of the new Brahma 82's to serve in conjunction with the Enforcer 88's I picked up this past Spring for on-piste cruising and moguls.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My helmet will be 5 years old this season... so probably about time to get a new one... no idea what yet, but I want something other than the basic black that I have now.
I didn’t include it in my earlier post but I got a new helmet this Spring after many years in an old hand me down basic black Smith.

@Pret helmets come in many colors & different shapes for different heads. Comfortable with easy to use vents & MIPS. Pretty happy so far having worn it in winter storms & early summer at Squaw.
0FC0656F-1FD1-4FC4-B984-E7A1DF810433.jpeg

The Volkl shell was new this year too from @SkiEssentials.

Sponsor

Staff online