• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

avgDude

Booting up
Skier
So the other day I watched "Ford vs Ferrari" movie. There was a scene where there talked about the perfect race lap. Which got me thinking, is there such a thing as a perfect ski run? not necessarily an actual location, but more "Have you skied a run perfectly"? Obviously this is subjective and only you can judge.

I can't say I have, but I've certainly had runs that are memorable as being well executed. You're in that rhythm of turns, really feeling the snow and the ski seem to be just right.

So can you say you've skied that run perfectly?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've been working on that all this past season.

Every turn rewarded with a sense of purpose and in balance is my "model for perfection" Quite subjective, but " I know".

Hard Bumps? No Way I even get close.
Soft bumps, closer
First run groomers, really close...
powder? That's not even in the consideration, "whole another set of standards" ;-)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is kind of a cool thread idea.
I'm pretty sure I've never skied a run perfectly, but I've experienced some perfectly fun ski runs.

^^^
This.

For me, that’d be runs from number 2 to 5/6 in the morning.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am still looking for that elusive perfect turn.

But thinking back..yes, I think I have had runs when everything clicked...and that felt damn good.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Question should be termed differently than "perfect". Perfect from the internal perception of an intermediate skier or perfect from the watching perspective of a top ski instructor? I doubt experienced instructors would even consistently describe various different turns styles if done in a specific style as perfect. To me describing skiing actions as perfect is out of place just like calling advanced skiers experts that I reserve for a higher level appropriate for the term.

On a visceral level, I'l toss out that I might be able to categorize turns into maybe 7 different levels at most if such was video recorded and then reviewed. On a run down slopes the perception turn to turn, especially in more difficult terrain and as one goes faster is even less judgable internally. What I tend to feel after a longer run is a relative level of how well a whole run went maybe into 7 different category levels. I've had numbers of 300 to 500 foot vertical fall line bump runs where I owned every turn confidently, inscribing into a slope on each turn, my solid consistent turn at will, that I might rate by the way I feel at the bottom as a 7 out of 7. Also some fresh powder runs with beautiful sine wave shaped S-turns the whole run then shot as a photo that looks like a 7. When one watches World Cup slalom racers there are some that top to bottom are on their game with every turn, that they would feel was also a 7 in the same confident way.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how you would define "perfect" on a free run except to feel like you're in the zone. On a race run never have and never will.............remember if it feels good it was probably slow!

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I don't know that I've ever skied a 'perfect run', but there have been parts of a run (15-20 turns?) where I've felt like I was "in the zone." It's a remarkable feeling - happens once in a while, but it's fleeting. Also happens once in while when I'm playing tennis - usually just a single extended rally where both players are acting as if they're in a choreographed ballet. It happens a few times a year when I'm playing guitar - it's like the instrument isn't even there, and the music is coming directly out of my chest!

Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know that I've ever skied a 'perfect run', but there have been parts of a run (15-20 turns?) where I've felt like I was "in the zone." It's a remarkable feeling - happens once in a while, but it's fleeting. Also happens once in while when I'm playing tennis - usually just a single extended rally where both players are acting as if they're in a choreographed ballet. It happens a few times a year when I'm playing guitar - it's like the instrument isn't even there, and the music is coming directly out of my chest!
Only in my own mind

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ve had what felt like moments of brilliance but I’m sure video and MA would tell a different story. There is a special feeling when everything seems to click and skiing becomes almost effortless which is particularly ego boosting when it happens in challenging terrain where it matters most.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a special feeling when everything seems to click and skiing becomes almost effortless

Your body becomes weightless, knees move in perfect harmony, edges barely touching the snow and yet the skis move as if on rails through everything you point them at...and you are flying... faster and faster...

Yeah, I know what you are talking about :)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every run if perfect; perfectly imperfect. Let's do it again.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Most of the time. I consider 'perfect' to be a sensation that is sublime with overtones of flying and floating in space and time. Not every turn has to be perfect, but altogether the experience is. This can happen in powder, on groomers and in the race course.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I remember @Bob Barnes saying that everyone has made their best turn only once. Seems like a stretch to think that anyone could crank out a series of identically perfect turns the whole way down the mountain.

As I’ve gotten better I’ve also become more aware of what I’m doing and the myriad ways I’m not doing what I wanted to. I maybe do something close to my intentions about half the time?

That said, I’ve had a lot of runs that have ended with big s—- eating grins on my face, so... I’ll take those as being “close enough” to perfect.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember @Bob Barnes saying that everyone has made their best turn only once. Seems like a stretch to think that anyone could crank out a series of identically perfect turns the whole way down the mountain.

Ermm.....cough...Reilly McGlashan...cough

Disclaimer: Coughs above are to be accepted as subtle hints and in no shape or form are related to me being infected with Covid19 or any other coronavirus strains so social distancing in this case is not necessary.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Tony Storaro , I imagine Reilly would say that there are differences between his turns and that some are better than others. His "deviation from normal" might not be much, but I'm sure it's there.