• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Just wondering about ski jumping... I'm sure there are rules for the ski characteristics but have jumpers ever experimented with designing the ultimate jumping skis, like for the ski flying events where they go balls out for incredible flights? After all if alpine skis can go from 65mm to 120mm what would happen if someone used significantly larger skis? Or something that sped up their inure? Etc.

I know you're all experts ;-p Or at least have opinions.

Opps I can't edit the thread title... f-ing spell check is going to start a war I swear.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I always figured that jumping skis were all the exact same width so that they would fit into those grooves on the ramp... I've never seen a pair up close though.

Years ago I did go to the top of the ski jump ramps in Lake Placid (in street clothes... ;). Three words summed up the experience: "No", "f-ing", and "way".

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Did you ever see one of the ground level practice machines?

The only "ground level" ski-jumping practice I've seen was some old video showing them using track-style high-hurdles as box jumps. i.e., stand in front of a high hurdle, jump over it, turn around, jump back over, etc. :eek:

What's their practice machine?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just wondering about ski jumping... I'm sure there are rules for the ski characteristics but have jumpers ever experimented with designing the ultimate jumping skis, like for the ski flying events where they go balls out for incredible flights? After all if alpine skis can go from 65mm to 120mm what would happen if someone used significantly larger skis? Or something that sped up their inure? Etc.

Opps I can't edit the thread title... f-ing spell check is going to start a war I swear.
No, I'm sure they never thought of it.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
They've stopped going for pure distance because they can already fly past most reasonably-sized venue limits.

What are they going for then? I always figured ski jumping was all about who jumped the farthest.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They've got the skis dialed in and are now working on face lift..

usa-robert-johansson-4.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What's their practice machine?

it's this pivoting support rig where one leaps from a tuck into fully-forward extension on top of the machine. I expect most of the posters on this board don't have the ankle flexibility or the extension to even use one of those properly.

What are they going for then? I always figured ski jumping was all about who jumped the farthest.

It is, but only within the extant limits of the gear. Style on launch, flight and landing is judged.

If you ever go skydiving, you'll have no problem controlling your body and your freefall once you figure out where stability is. The trick is controlling your body before aero stability occurs - and that's what ski jumping is, only without the parachutes.

Last edited:
TS
Bart Parnell

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled

Style and who can go the greatest distance from a given start. Sure you could build a 300m jump and really launch them if you simply want to go a real long ways....

I understand the skis are specialized (doh) but not whether they've gone through the radical rethinking that our alpine skis did (or Nordic skate skis, tennis rackets, etc.)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Those skis have evolved, A LOT. The jumping skis of old were pretty much a long wide wood ski with edges. The stuff you are seeing on TV are a lot wider and much thinner; have you noticed the tip flex while they are in the air?

Wonder what they are using for a core? suspect it is something very light. Balsa? Have also notice how thin the jumpers are, which makes sense, the glide ratio is not as good on heavy objects.

We have got to have a jumper out there somewhere on this website, jump in whoever you are. PLEASE! Inquiring minds want to know.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How did the v-stance get started in an event with a form-judging component? I would think the early adopters would have gotten horrible scores.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
How did the v-stance get started in an event with a form-judging component? I would think the early adopters would have gotten horrible scores.

In the mid-1950s, Swiss jumper Andreas Daescher became the first jumper to hold the arms backwards close to the body with a more extreme forward lean. Then in 1985, Swedish jumper Jan Bokloev started spreading the tips of his skis into a “V” shape. Initially ridiculed, this technique proved so successful that by 1992 all Olympic medallists were using this style.

https://www.olympic.org/ski-jumping-equipment-and-history

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

The width of the ski is limited to 95mm MIN and 105mm MAX -- at the balance point of the ski. The length of the ski is limited by the height/weight of the jumper, or to 145% of the jumper's height, whichever is less.

There are a TON of other parameters limited and specified in this document, on pg 14 or so...: http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...tionequipment_1617_11072016_clean_English.pdf

They even specify the maximum thickness of the underwear worn by the ski jumper (presumably to limit bulky underwear that would increase the ability to catch more lift off of the jump).

Last edited: