• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Haunted Hotel , would you?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not necessarily ski related but interesting enough (or even a bit funny) or just plane freaking weird.
So I came across this while on the computer. Located in Victor CO. Not sure much skiing around that area being south east and nearer co springs (think) But anyway I thought this was strange. Newly renovated hotel has a history of hauntings. They even use that haunted history on their website as a marketing tool. Its even decorated in sort of a creepy fashion. Even the name called the Black Monarch.
Wouldn't be my decor taste but décor aside don't think Id be looking to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and find a ghost starring back at me in the mirror. If you had a reason to stay in the town. Would you stay here? This is just too creepy or __________ IDK lol fit whatever word/s you want in there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...even-creepier-vibe/ar-AABjs5t?ocid=spartandhp
Here is the actual hotel site https://blackmonarchhotel.com/

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
During a road trip last summer, moving from Portland, OR to Denver, I stopped in Eureka, CA. Checked in at the Eureka Inn. It's an historic hotel built in the 20s. Fascinating decor. Photos of famous people who have stayed there.

Went to my room. Nice room. Most comfortable bed I've slept on at a hotel.

But the room was quiet. Eerily quiet. No traffic noise. No hallway noise. No conversations in neighboring rooms. I walked down the hall to see if there seemed to be any other guests. No noise. I walked to the lobby. Yes, there was the occasional person. There was music -- a band, I think -- playing in the lounge

Back to my room. The hall, the room ... eerily quiet. Something did not feel right. I googled "Eureka Inn". Yes, it is reported to be haunted. Most common occurrence I read about was children playing in the hall outside a certain room. I decided if I heard children playing in the middle of the night, I was not going to go looking for them.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd be fine but my wife would probably keep us up. If they have a haunted elevator like the tower of terror I'd definitely go.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There was a good episode of Ghost Hunters where they stayed at the same place The Shining was filmed at and is supposed to be haunted. I think most people would be willing to check in and try staying at a notoriously haunted place.. Add in the requirement that no matter what happens short of a REAL fire alarm you HAVE to stay there in your room and can't leave even if unexplained stuff starts happening and fewer would be so bold.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I stayed at a hotel where a group of ghost hunters were staying. They thought it was haunted. The hotel was an old mansion.

I came back late one night after dinner. I knocked on the front door, but shortly after knocking, my wife called me back to the car to carry something. So I went back to help.

Next day the ghost hunters were really excited. Turns out they were doing a seance late at night in the lobby. They heard noises and knocking, but when they checked the door, no one was there. :)

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
For a year and a half I was the head bellman at the Wort in Jackson. I worked the evening shifts so I could ski during the days and there was this one spot upstairs that always gave me this uneasy feeling when I walked by this room. I find out later that two young girls were murdered in that room when the parents went out to eat dinner. I guess some creep climbed up a huge wood pile to go in through the window. People then told me about hauntings. I'd often have to go down to the basement at night to get things out of storage, I really didn't like walking alone down there. I would just put my head down and walk quickly.

Wiki on the wort murders

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Pixley#Murders

Anyways, I like haunted hotels. They’re fun. I’ve taken the family to spend a night in the Jerome Grand Hotel before. It’s an old hospital in what is often referred to the most haunted town in the country. I think where I’ve been doing trail work the last year or so is as haunted as anywhere. That whole side of the mountain was basically a bustling little city of Pueblo Indians. I swear, there’s days where you can feel it, it’s like the place itself is alive. It’s not really scary it’s actually quite comforting.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Lived in an OLD house in Coeur d' Alene, ID. It was older than dirt. Strange things happened there for all 5 of us. Occasionally you would catch a presence out of the corner of your eye (especially on the stairs). When moving out the realtor asked if, 'we had ever experienced anything unusual'. Turns out the home had quite a reputation among the realtors in the area.
Turns out there was another place around the corner that kept going on the market every year, to the point where the realtors wouldn't go into it anymore.

There are more unexplained things in the World than explained things.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stayed at a hotel where a group of ghost hunters were staying. They thought it was haunted. The hotel was an old mansion.

I came back late one night after dinner. I knocked on the front door, but shortly after knocking, my wife called me back to the car to carry something. So I went back to help.

Next day the ghost hunters were really excited. Turns out they were doing a seance late at night in the lobby. They heard noises and knocking, but when they checked the door, no one was there. :)

That’s awesome! Seldomski becomes Seldomseen!!!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
well,...there are supposed to be both good entities and bad ones. The stories are endless and many of them will make the hair on the back of our necks stand up. A lot of creepy stuff out there.

While I don't have any my own truly ghostly experiences I do know a few people that have had their share of hair raising stories. The best I can do is tell of the time about 2 or 3 am as I walked past my own daughters bedroom and the hair on back of my neck stood up, I turned to look in (open door) and I see my daughter siting completely upright with her wavy messy long hair while sleeping and it was exactly like a scene from the 70's exorcist movie. Freaked me out like crazy.... of course she was just sleeping and I went in and placed her back down but it honestly spooked me good for a moment.

Only couple things I can really say Ive been through when I was younger was seeing myself sleeping while looking from above the door at the corner of my bedroom almost like I was floating near the ceiling. Ive also (and this happens on rare occasion even nowadays too) been dead asleep but with my eyes open I can see everything but I cannot move and I try to move a finger or something, anything to eventually move just a little more and a little more until finally I intentionally wake myself up. That's a bit scary feeling cause I can see and my brain must be up but my body is totally unmovable until I can slowly get it going enough in order to wake up. So I guess in a ways im my own haunting entity....lol

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I was younger was seeing myself sleeping while looking from above the door at the corner of my bedroom almost like I was floating near the ceiling.
I to this day have a vivid memory of viewing me in my car/truck forty some years ago (1977 GMC Sprint) drifting around a posted 45 mph corner at about a buck twenty five (the numbers on the speedometer only went to 100 mph IIRC, but the needle was pointing at "N" for neutral)
3ad5d3ee0c52412b_d4363e4504fb01.jpg

and having to drop the back right hand tire onto the gravel shoulder to squeeze by an oncoming car.

I think the US air force did a study on these "out of body" experiences. Apparently they had something to do with stress, and apparently the better the pilots, the less likely the event, and they were deemed not a good thing to have. For me it seemed the ultimate in perfect minute control of every thing down to the micrometer. :huh: Probably only seemed that way. It sure was a surreal experience.

Most of the "haunted" stuff is hoax and bunk, but there are still some (albeit few) unexplained events. Just because it's rare does not make it unreal. No point to go looking for trouble; I have enough of that without looking for it. As the play-write wrote, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Boo!

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey, as long as the ghost can buckle into two planks and shred a slope, it could cool :cool: or not :eek:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
There was a good episode of Ghost Hunters where they stayed at the same place The Shining was filmed at and is supposed to be haunted. I think most people would be willing to check in and try staying at a notoriously haunted place.. Add in the requirement that no matter what happens short of a REAL fire alarm you HAVE to stay there in your room and can't leave even if unexplained stuff starts happening and fewer would be so bold.
That would be the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. We had lunch there once, but never spent the night. Costs too much.