• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has any knee replacement not gone well?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just read the Yelp reviews for Anderson Orthopaedics in Mt. Vernon,VA. Not too favorable.

I haven’t used them. Mike Kavanagh is my go to Orthopaedics guy. I do know a lot of folks though that used Anderson orthopedics with great results.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
We will get fully moved in to our F-Burg Virginia house towards the end of September. With your permission I may contact you to pick your brain.

TS
H

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in my 4th week post surgery. It's a slow go. Lots of pain. I contact friends who had replacements, and their experiences are all over the board. Some were back at work the next week. Some drove themselves to PT after a week & a half. Some had a tougher time than I'm whining about. I'm undecided...should I tattoo baseball stitches on the scar or shark's teeth?

When I next see the doc I'll ask him if he did any additional repairs to that knee. Anyway, progress is kind'a steady and really slow. Almost every day is a tiny bit better than the day before. I'm doing the PT in the clinic and at home, reducing the pain pills, and slowly, oh so slowly, improving. It'll work out fine. I just need patience...right now! I'm planning my reconditioning program to get fit again for next ski season.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
undecided...should I tattoo baseball stitches on the scar or shark's teeth?
-
I just need patience...right now! I'm planning my reconditioning program to get fit again for next ski season.
:crossfingers:

Do Shark teeth - Have the tattoo artist draw teeth broken from the jaws and randomly lodged into your knee above and below the scar, i.e., the points of the teeth unseen because they are buried in your knee. Also, see if you can find a tattoo artist who studied graphic design in art school, have renderings of teeth done, not outlines. That would be cool.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm in my 4th week post surgery. It's a slow go. Lots of pain. I contact friends who had replacements, and their experiences are all over the board. Some were back at work the next week. Some drove themselves to PT after a week & a half. Some had a tougher time than I'm whining about. I'm undecided...should I tattoo baseball stitches on the scar or shark's teeth?

When I next see the doc I'll ask him if he did any additional repairs to that knee. Anyway, progress is kind'a steady and really slow. Almost every day is a tiny bit better than the day before. I'm doing the PT in the clinic and at home, reducing the pain pills, and slowly, oh so slowly, improving. It'll work out fine. I just need patience...right now! I'm planning my reconditioning program to get fit again for next ski season.
Wishing you nothing but the best in your recovery.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Your experiences are very much like my own, glad to hear. If I was 10 years younger, I would have been discharged the same day. It is amazing walking within 4 hours of surgery, but, the surgical pain block is still active. third day was the worst, each day got better.

During my post re-hab, I was very conscious of not limping and using a cane changes your walking gate, it also stressed my hip muscles. I used the walker for weeks as a training device to regain normal heel to toe walking. It's funny, but, we do not think about how to walk until we can't. I walked unaided into my 2 week surgical check-up with a very slight limp, I credit that to training with the walker, which I continued to train with. Never liked walking with a cane.

I was also able to give up Oxytocin after 4 days and asked for a non-addictive pain reliever. My doctor gave me Celecobix which is a NSAID pain reliever that I used for about a month with no side effects. Now drug free.
I am not real big on Oxy either and usually avoid it. I will take your advice on using a walker instead of crutches as it sounds like the best way to go.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cbd oil with 5 percent thc.

As much as I enjoy using CBD etc, the cost for a decent product is just insane. I had some capsules (with THC) that I bought wholesale, and it was about $8 a pill. EIGHT. WHOLESALE. It worked, but .... Meanwhile, my narcotics prescription was $1.27 for the entire bottle. Luckily I don't have any issues with oxy -- from dependence to hives to constipation to whatever -- but I didn't really want to be on it more than a few weeks.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As much as I enjoy using CBD etc, the cost for a decent product is just insane. I had some capsules (with THC) that I bought wholesale, and it was about $8 a pill. EIGHT. WHOLESALE. It worked, but .... Meanwhile, my narcotics prescription was $1.27 for the entire bottle. Luckily I don't have any issues with oxy -- from dependence to hives to constipation to whatever -- but I didn't really want to be on it more than a few weeks.
Bought, in reno, a bottle of cbd oil, good for 20 days, for $35.

Still expensive, but it doesn't make you feel crazy list like opiates

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought, in reno, a bottle of cbd oil, good for 20 days, for $35.

Still expensive, but it doesn't make you feel crazy list like opiates

How many milligrams? That's the thing. Takes a wallop for it to work for me. (A wallet? lol)

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Is it cheaper and just as effective without the CBD?

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am not real big on Oxy either and usually avoid it. I will take your advice on using a walker instead of crutches as it sounds like the best way to go.
I have a cane from prior meniscus surgeries but will still use a walker as you did. I never had a problem with Oxy I just do not like how it makes me feel. If I have to I will take it for a day or two but otherwise will try to avoid it.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good thread for me as I just found out that I am bone on bone on medial compartment in left knee. Talking partial knee replacement to start. But doc (who is a great skier and did my right ACL 8 years ago) wants me to try a unloader brace to start with. Will see how it goes. Been in PT and working out and dropping some pounds which is helping as well. But - inevitably I will be getting a partial or total at some time in the future.
it sucks to think I need that at 53 (still feel like I am in my 30’s) but I have been extremely hard on my body over the years and I guess it is catching up to me!

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had my left total knee replacement on Monday 2/8/21. It was done at Mary Washington Hospital. Surgeon is an intermediate skier. He says he is the only one in the area (Fredericksburg VA) that does robotic assisted. I was discharged the same day. Pain is less than I expected. I had 88% range of motion on the Friday 2/12 following surgery. I had to back off of PT a bit as my incision would not stop bleeding. Surgeon said it was okay. Bleeding finally stopped on Sunday 2/14. Have been using a walker and am starting to walk without it starting 2/16/21. Quite a lot of swelling that can be expected. I am glad that I had this done. My right knee will be done in a couple of months. Thanks to all who provided information so I was not a total novice going into this. The video of an actual surgery was very informative (Thanks Henry). Ski Talk is a good resource for medical information pertaining to skiing. I will post again as my healing progresses.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll soon need to pick a surgeon and a facility for a total knee replacement. The local hospital is small with two doc who do knees & hips. I like the guy I've seen. A much bigger facility is an hour away.

How have any of the skiers with knee replacements here picked their surgeon? Has anyone had a replacement that didn't go well? Knowing what you do now, what would you suggest for a better outcome? I know, keep fit & flexible, follow the instructions, but about picking the surgeon and the facility...any thoughts?
My wife has. I agree with all other: go to a high volume facility. Second: train your ass off. Make sure all muscles and tendons are in the best shape of your life. That will help you recuperate much faster. Good luck.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had my left total knee replacement on Monday 2/8/21. It was done at Mary Washington Hospital. Surgeon is an intermediate skier. He says he is the only one in the area (Fredericksburg VA) that does robotic assisted. I was discharged the same day. Pain is less than I expected. I had 88% range of motion on the Friday 2/12 following surgery. I had to back off of PT a bit as my incision would not stop bleeding. Surgeon said it was okay. Bleeding finally stopped on Sunday 2/14. Have been using a walker and am starting to walk without it starting 2/16/21. Quite a lot of swelling that can be expected. I am glad that I had this done. My right knee will be done in a couple of months. Thanks to all who provided information so I was not a total novice going into this. The video of an actual surgery was very informative (Thanks Henry). SkiTalk is a good resource for medical information pertaining to skiing. I will post again as my healing progresses.
I moved to and will post in:
So, how is my new metal knee working out?

Sponsor