• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Harley-Davidson

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is it that Harley guys are too often decked out head-to-toe in Harley shirts, jackets, wallets, bandanas, etc, you name it. They try so hard to flaunt their brand, I find it comical. You never see a BMW or Ducati, or etc, rider decked out in their brand's paraphernalia to such an extent as a Harley rider. Heck I've had lots of very cool cars, but don't think I've ever owned any clothing / hat from any car manufacturer.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah you'd be surprised. There are other brands that are similar... But yeah, Harley riders can take it to a higher level. It's a lifestyle. No different than the MAMIL's who tool around on their $10k carbon bikes... Whatever makes people happy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why is it that Harley guys are too often decked out head-to-toe in Harley shirts, jackets, wallets, bandanas, etc, you name it. They try so hard to flaunt their brand, I find it comical. You never see a BMW or Ducati, or etc, rider decked out in their brand's paraphernalia to such an extent as a Harley rider. Heck I've had lots of very cool cars, but don't think I've ever owned any clothing / hat from any car manufacturer.
One's a bad assed bike, but still jut a bike.. The other is a lifestyle statement.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier

You will occasionally see BMW riders decked out head-to-toe in BMW gear...but usually it's actual moto gear, not just branded tee shirts and jeans. Before the most recent real-estate boom, it was probably comparable in cost to a few mortgage payments...now it might just be one.

I don't think I've seen any Ducati boots or helmets, but I have seen Ducati leathers and a fair number of Ducati jackets and t-shirts.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Lol I see it with all brands including Harley, but I’ll promise you that ain’t me.

Question though-is that any different than the thousands of bicycle riders riding with their team shirts that they wear for every casual weekend ride?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lol I see it with all brands including Harley, but I’ll promise you that ain’t me.

Question though-is that any different than the thousands of bicycle riders riding with their team shirts that they wear for every casual weekend ride?

Yes, it's very different. IMHO.

It's less weird than those sports bike riders who dress like replicas of their favorite MotoGP rider - leathers, helmets, gloves, boots, fairing paint job... But only slightly.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I get that a good leather jacket is a good leather jacket, and if it has "Honda" on it, I'll wear it regardless; I care what it is, not what it says on it. I had a Honda rainsuit that was pretty good; it came with the Honda I bought 2nd hand. However, buying a product just because it says "Brand X" is not something I would do. I also can understand that sometimes a brand does have some quality control and the brand is a way of ensuring you get a good product, sometimes. I need to corroborate that with my own evaluation of the product.

Wearing your colours when you ride because you're a member of the Comrades MC or whatever I can understand. Wearing a bunch of brand name stuff to me isn't the same thing at all. Being a brain-washed free advertisement for a brand isn't the lifestyle message I would want to send. Maybe they just want to help support the product because they like it and want to help keep it around. :huh:

As to the full-race leathers, yeah, what the heck if your going to shell out for a full leather suit (and donating a couple of square feet of skin off your legs to that giant grindstone known as Earth makes you realize it's worth every penny), you may as well get one in colours you like, but replicating your favourite rider in every detail is a bit too much for me. Although, when I was a six-year-old, I emulated my favourite hockey players. I guess some folk never grow up.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty simple here. I’m my favorite rider so the only one I’m gonna replicate is me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Guilty. I also try to wear stuff that matches my ski choice of the day, including poles. Yep, I have a pole quiver..

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I went to an official Indian test day Friday and first ride was a Chieftain with 116in upgrade...all rides were 12 mile / interstate, farm road, boulevard and backroad.

Cheiftain 116.jpg

Spectacular torque acceleration surprise...Way stronger than my Harley but...with 30+mph SW wind I was disappointed with crosswind noise and instability. Power was awesome.

Next up was a Springfield which became my favorite. Stock 111 inch but about equal performance to my Harley.

Springfield.jpg

The Springfield has a clear windscreen, as opposed to my Electra Glide solid fairing. I enjoyed the clear view. Wind was less of a distraction.

Third ride was on a Challenger. Nice bike. Stable and quiet.

Challenger.jpg

Last ride was a rocket. FTR 1200 S I was looking for an Adventure class bike and this was the closest they had. Foot controls way back and SPECTACULAR power. A real hoot. Wind a major hassle to navigate through but when we went N on the Farm road everything went quiet and the front wheel left earth a couple times. Fun. Scary.

1200 S.jpg

Summary...I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Having been off bikes for 36 years and having only 500+ miles on my Harley it was a wonderful morning. To ride $20K bikes for the first time was eye opening. Neat stuff. Having said that, after much reflection...I like my 2000 Harley Electra Glide more than ever. The new bikes seemed to lack the comfort, the oneness, I find on mine. Performance was about equal to my bike except for the awesome 116 inch Chieftain and, of course, the FTR.

There is a difficult to describe collection of elements about bikes...Soul? Feel? Personality? Whatever. The Indians did not have what I like about my Harley. More maintenance on a Harley for sure. The sterile, perfect, beautiful??? personna of the Indians just missed for me. When it is time for a new bike I will again test a Springfield and Challenger before heading over to the Harley shop for a few sample rides.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Fav Youtube Harley rider Danny, takes them everywhere the Harleys are not meant to go.

Million Dollar Bogan is an awesome Harley ride dude anywhere worldwide....His videos are spectacular. Go back a year or so and see him ride it to Everest base area and everywhere between. He was warned by The Motor Company (LOL) to ease up on the banter....but HE WINS. Political correctness wimps need not follow Bogan.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Anyone have one? And which one do I want?

Ok-I haven't ridden in a while although I grew up riding. I call it my mid-life crisis, the wife says I have a death wish! Lol

Coach13 Did you ever get a bike?

I sold my Harley after dropping it in my sandy driveway and not able to pick it up. bikecrash 800 lbs. Went and got something 350 lbs lighter and dirt friendly. Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. Not as comfortable as the Geezer Glide but more fun and quieter. New bike is a jack of all trades, master of none - swiss army knife.

20210603_114910.jpg

20210909_094026.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Coach13 Did you ever get a bike?

I sold my Harley after dropping it in my sandy driveway and not able to pick it up. bikecrash 800 lbs. Went and got something 350 lbs lighter and dirt friendly. Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. Not as comfortable as the Geezer Glide but more fun and quieter. New bike is a jack of all trades, master of none - swiss army knife.

View attachment 142172
View attachment 142173
I wouldn't put too much stock in the "no damage" part of the demo; he seemed awfully careful setting it down. However, it did look very easy to set upright.

I do think the VSTROM is better suited to your driveway. :thumb:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
My last Harley was a real period piece.
A classic '80's chopper bought from real one percenters and made from mostly stolen parts.
'78 shovelhead engine in an aftermarket frame.
It has 13 skulls on it.
I ended up donating it to Braveheart Estate, a local charity that provides refuge to PTSD vets.
They raffled it off for nearly $20,000 and it went to a new owner who wanted it so bad he bought 200 raffle tickets.
Braveheart Estates
Now, I'm down to my last four bikes.... :rolleyes:

IMG_0669.JPG

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wouldn't put too much stock in the "no damage" part of the demo; he seemed awfully careful setting it down. However, it did look very easy to set upright.

I do think the VSTROM is better suited to your driveway. :thumb:
Also, not the bike for you if you like to lean them over in a corner. Bikes don't like it when you lever the rubber up off the road. :geek:

Sponsor