• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hardsnow Skis For Achy Knees

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Mike, I finally got to ski with you at the Aspen gathering after first meeting you at Colorado Gathering in April 2010. You are a good skier who skis the groomer fairly aggressively and with quite a bit of speed.

As others have suggested equipment changes. I believe a good look at the technique and tactic aspect of your skiing may resolve your issues.
Currently, you are a bit heavy at the bottom of the turn and a bit abrupt at the transition. A softer transition and moving the speed control to the top of the turn will probably relieve much of the impact forces to your knees.

Wow, Truth! Since this is your dance, may I suggest you continue? Can you expound a bit on how to do that? I find that finishing the turn, allowing the skis to fully cross under (and even finish with tips slightly uphill when needed) is the easiest means to scrub speed and control turn shape. Do you agree or have other suggestions? I am bummed I didnt get to ski with you at the boat.

meput

Booting up
Skier
LP,

Your Fischers are full on race stock. Even Heluva recommended against them. A detuned race ski like an original Head SS, vs the current SS speed or the Stockli CX's are much easier on the knees (and to ski recreationally). They are less hooky. They will even allow you to make nice GS turns on those slalom skis :roflmao:. I find that anything wider than ~80mm under foot causes me knee pain on groomed terrain. I only bring out my Head Rock N Rolls in powder or spring conditions. They are soft enough that I can tolerate limited groomers, but otherwise give me a softer sub 70mm under foot.

As for the 'loaf, mother nature must really be pissed off :crutches:. The skiing was super sweet last weekend, even if it was a bit chilly. I haven't been to the mountain since the rain yesterday and last night, but I understand it is not pretty. I am not sure what needs to be sacrificed to Ullr :hail: ? If it means I have to buy new skis, boots, take a trip out west, whatever ,:snowball:, I am willing to take one for the team and do it :crash:. If this season goes any further like this, it will be the ultimate season of suck :eek: :poo::( ! Sorry to digress here, but it is getting demoralizing.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
SBrpwm saod:
The best part, and why I would consider such a pricey ski for myself, is that the otherworldly dampening really really really helped out my knees. I have struggled this season with knee pain, particularly on my second ski day in a row, and I had suffered quite a bit the day before. In fact, I showed up to meet the group fairly late, because I didn't think I would last very long. Well, I ended up having one of my favorite days of the season, because I just. didn't. hurt. @Betsy Keyes said the same thing, and her poor knees are worse off than mine (ah, the joys of ex-soccer-player joints).

So who is it for? Seriously consider demoing this bad boy if your joints are having a hard time with too much feedback from your skis. Yeah, it's expensive, but take the price and subtract a few doctor visits, and I think it will be a huge bargain in the end.[/QUOTE]

So, I am quoting SBrown ( who, to me will always be known as segbrown ) and her review of the Renoun Z-90. There have to be more knee friendly skis out there, so, give it up, y'all. I remember my initial love of the Kastle MX 88, great ski, but it beat my knees up. @Philpug did a post of 11/10 skis, what are the 9/10 skis that just are easy to ski on the knees? Danm, why did I not beat up on Phil to try these in Aspen? Can we trade a lifetime supply of Old Bay Seasoning for one simple demo day?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, Truth! Since this is your dance, may I suggest you continue? Can you expound a bit on how to do that? I find that finishing the turn, allowing the skis to fully cross under (and even finish with tips slightly uphill when needed) is the easiest means to scrub speed and control turn shape. Do you agree or have other suggestions? I am bummed I didnt get to ski with you at the boat.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Yeah, too bad we missed each other at the boat, but we can ski together at Taos. A few of us will be there during the week staring 2/27. If you need a place to hang out, maybe I can be of help.

During the Aspen gathering last week, Lady Salina pull up to me after a high speed groomer run and told me that she was following my line down and noticed I skied that line with what she termed “low energy turns”. My reply to her was “I’m old and with the constant availability of gravity, why should I waste my own energy in the turns”.

Most skiers use the bottom of the turn to control their speed. Often by skidding and often loading the tail of the ski with lots of lateral force. Heavy skidding at that part of the turn produces quite a bit of shock to the various part of the leg, especially the knees & quad. Sound like I am pushing for the pure carve camp, that is definitely not the case. I’m not partial to neither pure carve and/or pure skid. To me they are just two more shades of gray. A blend of the two that’s apropos for the situation and snow condition would be idea. Some skiers call it a brush-carve. Generally, I believe more glide and less skid is less tiring & less stressful to the various body parts.

A Taos instructor had a great analogy what it should feel like at the bottom of the turn. She wanted us to think of ourselves as an airplane at takeoff. The higher the glide, the more lift we’ll generate and the lighter we will feel - softer skiing.

I agree with you on the turning the tips up hill is an effective way to shape the turn and control speed. It’s one of my favorite movements that utilizes the pull of gravity to control speed. However, for most skiers, that move will find them stalled out at the end of their turn. Most will find it difficult to reinitialize their next turn. The fix is what Lady Salina was teaching at the Aspen Gathering – “Turn with you inside ski and ski on your outside ski”. That works both on the groomer and in the bumps.

The skis generally come out of the turn finish with quite bit of rebound energy. Harnessing this rebound energy with a retraction of the legs will allow this energy to propel us thru the transition across the hill into the top of next turn. Properly timing the retraction with the rebound is critical to conservation of energy and momentum for a smoother transition. The skis should be barely skimming on the snow if not entirely off the snow for a smooth transition to occur. At this point, additional speed control measures can be taken by moving the skis laterally up the hill in anticipation of the start of the new turn.

Moving the skis up the gravity well at the top of the turn will slow thing down quite a bit. The counter action to the skis moving uphill is the COM must start move down the fall line and inside the new turn - Bob Barns’ “X” move.

Moving the COM and upper torso down the fall line and inside the new turn while the skis are being sent out in the opposite direction sets up the X move by allowing large meaty part of our upper torso to take the tighter but slower inside line while the skis swings around in a much faster arcing path to catch the body at the bottom of the turn.

Most skiers generally think that they have to be aggressive and “forward” at the top of the turn. For most skiers “forward” means shin to the tongue. Loading the tongue at this point usually slows the glide speed of the skis and shortens the top of the turn. Making the turn less round. The rounder the turn, the less energy is required to control the skis. I don’t mind having open ankles at the top of the turn, so long my body is committed downhill. The open ankles allow me to push the skis forward along their intended path of travel for a higher swing speed.

As the skis progress to the apex of the turn, The COM should still be ahead of the skis. With the legs running behind the COM, this will allow the ankles to close and provide a very precise control of the skis. Controlling the travel speed of the skis at this point will determine the exact turn radius. A higher swing speed will tighten the turn and slowing the skis will result in a larger, more relaxed turn.

The feeling I like to see at the top and middle of the turn is the ski edges are engaged in the snow by a slight lateral pulling motion by my feet rather than a pushing / grinding motion from my quads. The swing (travel) speed of the skis should be pretty high, relatively speaking.

I think most of what I’ve been spewing have been addressed by Bob Barns in his many posts. This just my experience and interpretation of some of those ideas. Most of them are probably wrong.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Great stuff! this is exactly what I have been working on especially on 3d snow and bumps. It allows a lot of variation of turn shape and speed control

"As the skis progress to the apex of the turn, The COM should still be ahead of the skis. With the legs running behind the COM, this will allow the ankles to close and provide a very precise control of the skis. Controlling the travel speed of the skis at this point will determine the exact turn radius. A higher swing speed will tighten the turn and slowing the skis will result in a larger, more relaxed turn."

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
2-turn-phases-jpg.2445

Great discussion @Ron and @KingGrump
I borrowed Bob Barnes graphic as, I think, it illustrates a key point that you both are making, that is, the transition needs to be soft and let the skis move out and around the body. Yup, it is the infinity movement. Conceptualizing is somewhat easy, implementing is a long process.
I have wanted to ski with KingGrump for a while now, and, he invited me to join him and Mame in Vt in December, but, mother nature intervened. I appreciate KG's feedback, it's consistent with the model of skiing I follow. I was fascinated by Bruce's technique at Aspen, very quiet upper body, controlled, brushed turns at the bottom, easy to see why he excels in tight turns and steep terrain. Much to be learned there. Sometime this season, I intend to get some video, perceptions of skiing cannot be relied upon with respect to technique. It has been a learning experience seeing some still photo's of my skiing from Aspen, for sure I was fighting my technique...need a lot more time on skis, but, this year, my posting name should be faux-skier.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Living Proof , while I am not professing to have mastered this, the general movement pattern takes a bit before the "ahha moment" occurs. I see a lot of skiers who ski with a soft brushed turn shape but the vast majority enter and exit the turn (ok, pretty much always) in the back seat pushing the skis ahead of the COM, as if they are "hockey Stopping". You are a tech-dude so I think if you practice this, you will start to "feel" that your COM is staying where it needs to be. Good on ya'! :thumb:

JSDOS

Booting up
Skier
From King Grump:
"...
Most will find it difficult to reinitialize their next turn. The fix is what Lady Salina was teaching at the Aspen Gathering – “Turn with your inside ski and ski on your outside ski”. That works both on the groomer and in the bumps."
"... The skis generally come out of the turn finish with quite bit of rebound energy. Harnessing this rebound energy with a retraction of the legs will allow this energy to propel us thru the transition across the hill into the top of next turn. Properly timing the retraction with the rebound is critical to conservation of energy and momentum for a smoother transition...'

Some of what is described in this post, especially the bolded seems to derive from Harb's and Clendenin's concepts. Were the instructors mentioned (Lady Salina, Taos Instructor) open about that ? Or were these methods simply presented as part of their clinics? Since you were in Aspen maybe it's just in the air - or snow - around there!

It's great to hear you had such a positive experience with these ideas. It's a very relaxing and smooth technique which really added another level for me.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
critical to conservation of energy and momentum for a smoother transition. The skis should be barely skimming on the snow if not entirely off the snow for a sm
Nicely stated Grump! Your explanation completely explains my understanding of a well executed turn that will initiate itself and give smooth controlled turns where you speed is determined by you and not the pitch of the slope. From beginner to advanced, they often need to be told to turn that inside leg (knee, foot, toe, etc). I like steer with the inside knee, grip with the outside ski as it gets results, not because it's some particular style but because it tells people what to do. Saying turn the downhill ski and the other will follow just isn't true. Turn the downhill ski without the uphill ski and a stem or full wedge will often be the result. The feet should tip and turn with the knees and legs and femur turning simultaneously, with equal edge angle on both skis (not equal weight or pressure) through the entire turn. For JSDOS I am a CSIA level 3 instructor, I teach in Canada. Much of what I teach comes purely from observation and practice. It seems to work so I use it. The other half of the story is the stance and balance must be there for everything to work. But when your turn completes itself and you realize just what Bob Barnes infinity feels like you will know it from the pure joy and sensation of not having to start your turn, not having too much rebound at the bottom of the turn and the fluid feeling of water running down the mountain in a babbling stream and not turning to rapids or hitting a dam. You will of course, quickly learn you can then harness and utilize that energy to propel your self faster also...but you will control it, not it control you.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From King Grump:
"...
Most will find it difficult to reinitialize their next turn. The fix is what Lady Salina was teaching at the Aspen Gathering – “Turn with your inside ski and ski on your outside ski”. That works both on the groomer and in the bumps."
"... The skis generally come out of the turn finish with quite bit of rebound energy. Harnessing this rebound energy with a retraction of the legs will allow this energy to propel us thru the transition across the hill into the top of next turn. Properly timing the retraction with the rebound is critical to conservation of energy and momentum for a smoother transition...'

Some of what is described in this post, especially the bolded seems to derive from Harb's and Clendenin's concepts. Were the instructors mentioned (Lady Salina, Taos Instructor) open about that ? Or were these methods simply presented as part of their clinics? Since you were in Aspen maybe it's just in the air - or snow - around there!

It's great to hear you had such a positive experience with these ideas. It's a very relaxing and smooth technique which really added another level for me.

To me, good skiing is good skiing. Whether it is PSIA, CSIA, PMTS or whatever. There are probably more similarities than differences between the various schools of thought. They just use slightly different verbiage to describe practically the same thing. Market speak to make them appear unique.

BTW, what I wrote above is pretty standard stuff. There is really nothing much new under the sun.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was messing around last week in new boots and bindings with incompatible toes. I came down a bit rough off a mogul once and popped right out. After that, I paid a lot of attention to skiing more smoothly, avoiding anything abrupt. It worked. I thought, Why don't I always do this??

So, back off your DIN to about 4 on your toe pieces -- or at least pretend you did!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where were the incompatible toes located. Were they inside or outside the boots? :D

JSDOS

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the detailed and elegant reply, Lady Salina.

Wasn't really interested in talking about organizations with initials either, KG !

More curious if your experience with Lady Salina's "turn on inside and ski on outside ski" was something just introduced to you or something you've been working with for a while. It's amazing how important the feet and ankles become as knees and hips get "rustier".

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding.

LS wasn't coaching me. I'm beyond help.
I just fall down the hill the way I always do - gently, of course. The usual low impact skiing that is generally prescribed for old people like me.
LS was helping others that were having minor stem issues at the top of the turn while skiing the bumps and steeps.

Sponsor

Staff online