• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Happy to be here - Breck Mtn Guide?

Bluebird

Booting up
Skier
Hi! I'm really happy to have found this online community of ski enthusiasts. How did I find it, you ask... Well, I was reading an article in the NYTimes at 3am (insomnia) and an article about skiing with a pass (we hold Epic) included the valuable link to your site. Lucky me! Turns out that insomnia pays off!

I skied Tahoe as a kid and Colorado as a young adult. Europe, Japan, Utah, and Tahoe as an, er, real adult... I raced a bit, love the bumps, trees, and steep stuff. Being on the mountain with my family (husband plus two teenage shredders) is my happy place. Oh, one thing... my husband is on a board. But he keeps up just fine.

My question: We're heading to Breckenridge in January for MLK (we're on the school schedule with the masses, it's the teenager thing again). Anyone have a mountain guide to recommend for five people (my fam plus my son's gf)?

Again... Happy to be here. Cheers!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cool that the NYT article brought you here!

We need to get a dedicated guide to Breck posted here. It's a great mountain that I really like with copious groomers, open bowls, remote trees, steep chutes, and a real fun town at the base. However, a lot of other people like it too and it can be very busy. My main advice for advanced skiers to beat the crowds is to go high, go wide, and go steep. Stay on the upper mtn and only come down at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, here is a Breck guide by a gentleman who posts here sometimes: http://desertsnowjunkies.com/a-skiers-guide-to-breckenridge/

Here are some photos and brief commentary on Breckenridge that I prepared for another website a few years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20161129040335/http://www.epicski.com/a/breckenridge-co-a-pictorial

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cool that the NYT article brought you here!

We need to get a dedicated guide to Breck posted here. It's a great mountain that I really like with copious groomers, open bowls, remote trees, steep chutes, and a real fun town at the base. However, a lot of other people like it too and it can be very busy. My main advice for advanced skiers to beat the crowds is to go high, go wide, and go steep. Stay on the upper mtn and only come down at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, here is a Breck guide by a gentleman who posts here sometimes: http://desertsnowjunkies.com/a-skiers-guide-to-breckenridge/

Here are some photos and brief commentary on Breckenridge that I prepared for another website a few years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20161129040335/http://www.epicski.com/a/breckenridge-co-a-pictorial

I vote for @Doug Briggs and/or @Ken_R.......

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
For advanced to expert skiers, Breck is all about the upper bowls on peaks 8,7 and 6. MLK may be early for good coverage, but laps on Chair 6, Imperial, and T-bar are magical when the snow and weather are good.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like others have posted. Stay in the high alpine and also E chair. The terrain off of peak 10 - skiers right is also a good choice. MLK weekend will be crowded - but E Chair doesn’t get to crowded and Peak 10 Chair (Falcon is a 6 pack).

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
If you're looking to hire someone to show you around and provide sliding tips, look into the Breck Guides program provided by the ski school. They include instructors who can handle both two plankers and boarders. They can provide avalance information too.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're looking to hire someone to show you around and provide sliding tips, look into the Breck Guides program provided by the ski school. They include instructors who can handle both two plankers and boarders. They can provide avalance information too.
I have skied with a few of the instructors in the Guide program, they are excellent. There is also the small group Elevate all day lesson that meets at Vista Haus (top of Peak 8) every morning - that is another option - assuming everyone is a skier or snowboarder in the group

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
But they don't mix snowboarders and skiers for Elevate lessons

Last edited by a moderator:

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Edit and delete buttons weren't there when I asked. Oh, I was on the iPhone when I asked.

TS
B

Bluebird

Booting up
Skier
Thank you, yes, I considered the Breck Guides but the limit is four people and we are five. Will follow some recommendations offered. Thanks again

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs was my guide! He was awesome, he knows every little nook and cranny of Breck.
Thanks Ken, I would have offered my services except that I am going to be at Cooper on the Wednesday before the holiday until the holiday. I will be coaching downhill as well as racing. I'm hoping to three-peat a Wolf Cup.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks Ken, I would have offered my services except that I am going to be at Cooper on the Wednesday before the holiday until the holiday. I will be coaching downhill as well as racing. I'm hoping to three-peat a Wolf Cup.
:eek: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Thank you, yes, I considered the Breck Guides but the limit is four people and we are five. Will follow some recommendations offered. Thanks again
Any of the Breck Guides instructors can be hired for a private lesson, which can include six. Divided by five, the private will cost the same as taking a class lesson.

Sponsor

Staff online