• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Tomorrow, I’m off to Japan after taking care of business in China. A few more meetings in Tokyo and Osaka (amazing one can travel by train for a day trip between these two cities), then Hakuba. This trip was originally planned with both Hakuba and Myoko. But forecasted weather has caused me to beat a retreat to higher ground. I’ve been watching for a few days. The amount of precipitation, and I have to say precipitation, not snow (maybe it’s called wintry mix?) has fluctuated, but not the warm spell. I arrive January 23, to higher temperatures, something that has been a fixture in the forecast, one with a freeze level that, depending when I look at the forecast, will result in rain at all the resorts in both Hakuba and Myoko. The only escape is to stay higher up. Here’s what it’s been looking like at Happo-one. Mid-mountain would be about the top of many other resorts,

103B55FA-10A0-4566-BE77-4DFC89BFCD2A.png

The top is more promising, but note freeze level.

98FF6894-6FCD-4CA2-8CF1-4E293A77A0ED.png

As I see it, my choices are:

1. Staying in the upper reaches of Happo-one, Hakuba’s highest resort
2. Skin up above Tsugaike, then ski down through the potential rain at the end of the day
3. Run over to Shiga-Yakoteyama, the highest resort in Japan.

The latter is a schlepp. Skiing through rain is unappealing. Being able to download in Happo-one’s gondola sounds just right.

What an interesting start to an annual pilgrimage for Japow. But, that’s not all. All of Japan has been experiencing its worst year for, I’m told, over 75 years. I’m told backcountry tree lines are clogged with uncovered shrubs. Exits to roads have patchy cover. Hence, again, my retreat to Hakuba where alpine and sub-alpine backcountry terrain can be had. My plan now is to do some backcountry skiing higher up and hopefully do some training in resort. I recently decided to go for a PSIA Level 3 certification and need to go over the Standards and understand better what Examiners are looking for, both in Teaching and in Skiing. Instead of a skiing with a guide in Myoko, I’m looking for an Examiner in Hakuba, and skis.

Yes, I need to rent skis. Mine are 186 109’s fully rockered, high radius backcountry powder skis. Won’t be much fun making onpiste short turns and skiing bumps, and now maybe hardpack. My boots are ISO 9523 non-WTR, non-Gripwalk AT boots. I’m on the hunt for a carving ski or all mountain ski to rent that has MNC bindings. The only thing I’ve found so far are Rossi Hero GS-type ski with Gripwalk compatible bindings. If a better option cant be found, that’s the fallback. At least the boots will fit. Who needs release anyway. Aren’t they called bindings? What are the chances, finding skis with 70-90 width, mounted with compatible bindings? BTW, I’m looking for help in identifying what bindings models are MNC. There’s the Salomon MNC’s, the Marker Sole.ID models, what else?

This trip will be challenging, in a different way. But, it will also be different and interesting. Guide-willing, I might take a stab at brush skiing. There’s already one highlight of the trip. I’m meeting up with another Pugskier, @Eleeski and his wife and son! How cool is that? We were planning on doing an offpiste tour together on the 23rd. Instead, we’ll ski together in-resort, up high, at Happo-one. They are luckier, arriving earlier, in time for forecasted snow, before the warm spell comes in, on a base that’s been nice and cold. And, luckier yet, they’ll be skiing that snow at Hakuba Cortina which, for some reason, usually gets more snow than other resorts in the valley. Eric, see you soon! Report and pictures please!

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Is this true that you're experiencing?
Which part? The all of Japan or the 75 years? As to the former,
Just got to Hokkaido yesterday...situation dire. Resorts claiming 1.5-2 meter bases and based on the one place we've been so far that's a big lie. Maybe 1 meter and none of the bamboo grass is covered. Makes it tough. Nothing big in the forecast either. Gonna make the best of it but Sapporo is at less than 50% of average snowfall so far this year.
And @Eleeski will be in Hakuba very soon, sooner than me by a few days.

As to the 75 years, I haven’t been around that long :), much less skiing in Japan that long. I can only report what I was told.

James

Out There
Instructor
As to the 75 years, I haven’t been around that long :), much less skiing in Japan that long. I can only report what I was told.
Reporting what your told is perfectly fine. "Situation dire..." doesn't sound good either. I ask because someone showed me a photo of skiing in some powder, but you can't tell overall snow, it's a close up.

Enjoy the trip though! Have some great food. I loved the Snowlets mascots from Nagano '98 Olympics. Best winter mascots ever.

IMG_6856.PNG

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Found some decent snow today.
You sure did! Good job! Might I suggest that you startup a second Hokkaido trip report, to complement @Mattadvproject’s?

I noticed you’re being coy about where that is. Can’t be that bad over there, can it? :)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hokkaido 's gotten a bit of snow, but my old home hill hasn't even opened yet. I'd say as an indicator, it's pretty brutal. 1998 was also a low snow year. The Olympics weren't looking good until a couple big cycles came through. Spring touring that year wasn't all that good.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
You sure did! Good job! Might I suggest that you startup a second Hokkaido trip report, to complement @Mattadvproject’s?

I noticed you’re being coy about where that is. Can’t be that bad over there, can it? :)
I'm on Matt's trip.....I'm the ugly one in his photos

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
It's the worst season I've ever seen, skiing here since 1981.
That said, there is decent snow in some places, and powder days -- just not as deep and as regular as we usually expect here.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Arrived today. Here are a couple snippets of Japan, checking into the hotel and picking up new glasses.

There was a lot of paperwork associated with checking into my hotel. First, I signed a registration form, par for the course. Then, I signed a credit card slip for advanced payment for the rooms, not out of the norm. Then, I signed another credit card slip for security, to cover possible room charges, ok. Then she printed out a piece of paper; more to sign? Nope, she “signed”, with her chop in the locations, chop, chop, chop. Then, the paper is perforated, she separated it into three. She places one, along with one of the signed credit card slips into an envelope and hands it to me. Note, I haven’t gotten a room key yet. Then, there’s some other piece of paper that she folds three ways and creases, with intent, really tightly. I wonder what it is that I was given, so I open the envelope and look. I have the unsigned customer-copy credit card slip for the advanced payment (she has the signer merchant copy) and, the one of the parts, a hotel receipt for the same payment. I ask what the other two parts are. They identical copies of the hotel receipt, all three with her chop. I ask. One is for me, one is for the front office, and one is for accounting. I’m thinking, someone upfront has to file a copy, someone has to get another copy to accounting where it needs to be filed. Maybe someone has to make an entry to a ledger as well. The transaction is for-sure well documented. She shows me yet another piece of paper that she keeps. It indicates how many points I have. I ask what I can use the points for. I can use them for food, drinks, room charges, etc. I ask how to use the points. I am to insert my membership card in a machine. The machine will issue me a (paper) coupon which I can give to the restaurant, bar, or front desk. Ah yes, of course. BTW, this is a hotel that will have requests delivered to you, at your room, with a robot. Old meets new.

After checking in and seeing my things in my room, including ski gear (helmet, goggles, gloves, clothes, etc.) that I had shipped from the States to the hotel (I forgot. I signed a piece of paper for that too.) I went to pickup glasses that I had ordered in November, when I was here last. They’re progressive’s for a new prescription and this snippet is really from November. I don’t know a thing about progressive’s. In the States, LensCrafter offered me two possibilities, a standard lens or a better lens. What’s the difference? One’s “better” and is more expensive. Here at this shop, which I know because once I needed to replace a broken scratched lens, the optician spent a good 45 minutes to an hour with me going over 8 progressive’s that they carry. What’s the difference? He pulls them out; they have samples of 5 makes/models, a full range of diopters for each. He puts this gadget on me and inserts the lenses. I can literally see the difference. The two most expensive, I don’t perceive a difference. He tells me that only those with really really bad eyesight benefit from the most expensive. I suppose I’m lucky that I want only the second most expensive. After all that time, he then asks me if I’d be interested in progressive’s for computer use. What’s that? The distance portion is for commuter distance. Why would I need that? He breaks out the samples. OMG, what a difference. The point here is not to go into the nuances of progressive lens design. The points are 1. lens manufacturers in Japan design and produce a wide variety of lenses, 2. the consumers care about the details between designs. 3. the shops, supported by the manufacturers, will spend the time and resources to educate the customer. Japan, attention to detail, appreciation of detail, patience, and where old meets new.

Even if Japow turns out not to be in the cards this year, I still find Japan to be a real eyeopener.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Have you shopped for slippers yet?
Glad you asked. For indoors? Yes, sort of, for the inbounds. I got these puppies :)
3D3B7AE0-4926-4F84-880D-24127648BF55.jpeg
2019 Brahmas, 173.

Found them online at Tanabe Sports,

As mentioned above, I hoped to rent skis with which to ski inbounds. I checked three shops that I know in Hakuba that rent demo skis and have competent staff that speak English. There must be more, but I don’t know them. One had no skis with MNC bindings. Another had what I described, Rossi Hero’s with Gripwalk bindings. The third had to check. Well time is was short, so while I waited for their answer, I considered purchase of used skis in Tokyo, where I will be for a few days. I discovered that such shops are all outside Tokyo proper; I don’t have time for that. So, I looked for online ski shops and Tanabe Sports popped up. They organize by New and Old, then by brand.

First up to browse, Old Blizzard. I’m thinking Quattro’s, maybe Firebird’s. No Quattro’s. Firebirds are sold out. Besides, they all come with incompatible bindings. I do notice one pair of flat Brahmas, 173, and filed that in my memory bank.

Next, I think Old Rossi’s Hero’s. They all come with wrong bindings. Then Old Head’s, thinking i.Speed’s. All wrong bindings, some sold out. Saw Kore 93; I’ve demo’d them and hated them. Onto Old Salomon, thinking S/Max Blast, which I think you pointed out in another thread. Nope. But, what I do see are several skis sold with Warden MNC 13 bindings. Maybe put those on the flat Brahma’s?? So, I go to Salomon Binding,
87E7EB82-8E25-4470-A76D-875E8BA8319D.jpeg

You thinking what I’m thinking?

Yup, how about Shifts mounted on the flat Brahma’s? How cool would that be, an MNC binding with alpine toe and heel on a high performance all mountain ski, yet has pins with which to transition to walk mode if needed? But, sold out; how to? I call Rhythm Hakuba, the shop next to Evergreen Backcountry, the guide service, to see if they have the Shifts. They do! And they’ll give me 10% off, plus if I present my passport, I get another 10% reduction by having the tax taken off. Then, the question is, can I get the skis to Rhythm in time to have the bindings mounted. Yes! Skis shipped from Osaka day of order, yesterday, Sunday, via Yamato (Black Cat).

So, how does this setup sit with me? Brahma’s are not a carving ski, but boy my 180’s at home can carve, and they’re great in at least 10” powder. It’s not a light ski by far. But, as reported in my Chilean Volcano TR, the very light Zero G 85’s were tough to ski in wet heavy snow, something that’s in the cards later this trip.
Then, in Hakuba, there are some awesome offpiste lines that can be had with short, very easy hikes. The one from Cortina through trees, down a farming road, past rice fields to a train station is an example, mentioned in the Hakuba 2019 TR,
So, for onpiste skiing and training with the flexibility to do easy-access backcountry or sidecountry, I think the lighter, compared to 180, 173 2019 Brahma’s fitted with 2020 Shift’s, Old meets New, are perfect slippers.

A word on the shopping experience. I checked out other online shops. I found a couple. But, none are in English and they seem to have a poor selection, though it’s probably my inability to navigate though a Japanese language online store. Besides having a user friendly online store, Tanabe Sports’ communications over phone and e-mail has been excellent. Though I missed the 14:00 cutoff for payment by an hour, to ship the same day, they got it out same day nevertheless when I shared the urgency. Great shop. And, for me, no paperwork!

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
All of Japan has been experiencing its worst year for, I’m told, over 75 years.
Is this true that you're experiencing?
Reporting what your told is perfectly fine.
Well, maybe it’s 60 years,
“The Japan Meteorological Agency, which tracks weather at hundreds of stations throughout the country, warned in early January that snowfall in the region was at its lowest in almost 60 years.”
Snow predicted overnight at Hakuba. But, that warm spell in the forecast is very persistent.

James

Out There
Instructor
Glad you asked. For indoors? Yes, sort of, for the inbounds. I got these puppies :)
View attachment 90511
2019 Brahmas, 173.

Found them online at Tanabe Sports,

As mentioned above, I hoped to rent skis with which to ski inbounds. I checked three shops that I know in Hakuba that rent demo skis and have competent staff that speak English. There must be more, but I don’t know them. One had no skis with MNC bindings. Another had what I described, Rossi Hero’s with Gripwalk bindings. The third had to check. Well time is was short, so while I waited for their answer, I considered purchase of used skis in Tokyo, where I will be for a few days. I discovered that such shops are all outside Tokyo proper; I don’t have time for that. So, I looked for online ski shops and Tanabe Sports popped up. They organize by New and Old, then by brand.

First up to browse, Old Blizzard. I’m thinking Quattro’s, maybe Firebird’s. No Quattro’s. Firebirds are sold out. Besides, they all come with incompatible bindings. I do notice one pair of flat Brahmas, 173, and filed that in my memory bank.

Next, I think Old Rossi’s Hero’s. They all come with wrong bindings. Then Old Head’s, thinking i.Speed’s. All wrong bindings, some sold out. Saw Kore 93; I’ve demo’d them and hated them. Onto Old Salomon, thinking S/Max Blast, which I think you pointed out in another thread. Nope. But, what I do see are several skis sold with Warden MNC 13 bindings. Maybe put those on the flat Brahma’s?? So, I go to Salomon Binding,
View attachment 90513

You thinking what I’m thinking?

Yup, how about Shifts mounted on the flat Brahma’s? How cool would that be, an MNC binding with alpine toe and heel on a high performance all mountain ski, yet has pins with which to transition to walk mode if needed? But, sold out; how to? I call Rhythm Hakuba, the shop next to Evergreen Backcountry, the guide service, to see if they have the Shifts. They do! And they’ll give me 10% off, plus if I present my passport, I get another 10% reduction by having the tax taken off. Then, the question is, can I get the skis to Rhythm in time to have the bindings mounted. Yes! Skis shipped from Osaka day of order, yesterday, Sunday, via Yamato (Black Cat).

So, how does this setup sit with me? Brahma’s are not a carving ski, but boy my 180’s at home can carve, and they’re great in at least 10” powder. It’s not a light ski by far. But, as reported in my Chilean Volcano TR, the very light Zero G 85’s were tough to ski in wet heavy snow, something that’s in the cards later this trip.
Then, in Hakuba, there are some awesome offpiste lines that can be had with short, very easy hikes. The one from Cortina through trees, down a farming road, past rice fields to a train station is an example, mentioned in the Hakuba 2019 TR,
So, for onpiste skiing and training with the flexibility to do easy-access backcountry or sidecountry, I think the lighter, compared to 180, 173 2019 Brahma’s fitted with 2020 Shift’s, Old meets New, are perfect slippers.

A word on the shopping experience. I checked out other online shops. I found a couple. But, none are in English and they seem to have a poor selection, though it’s probably my inability to navigate though a Japanese language online store. Besides having a user friendly online store, Tanabe Sports’ communications over phone and e-mail has been excellent. Though I missed the 14:00 cutoff for payment by an hour, to ship the same day, they got it out same day nevertheless when I shared the urgency. Great shop. And, for me, no paperwork!
That's a Brahma 83 or 88?
With a Shift, huh?

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The skis arrived Hakuba! They’re at the shop, waxed and being mounted. First day out will be a warm Thursday, snow (wet n heavy no doubt) on top, rain below, skiing on groomers and off I think. That’ll be a test. But, I’m really looking forward to how they do on Friday, when it gets colder, in powder that drops up top overnight, on bulletproof ice down below, and everything in between.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
^^ You sure you're not at Whistler?
Glad you asked :) In fact, the reason why I own a pair of Brahma’s at home is because of Whistler. On the way home from Asia one year, I stopped over to ski. April. But, Whistler was closed, so Blackcomb. Not having skis, I rented. Rented Brahma’s, 180, the longer radius generation. The alpine was a solid ice. There was a groomed road snaking down it. After a couple of boring runs on that, I peeled off. OMG. It was leave-no-trace conditions and the Brahma’s were amazing. One linked turn to another, holding through top, belly, and end of turns. Can’t really say “holding”, but they were certainly turning. Then, into bulletproof moguls. No problem. Then I did some off fall line turns. Easy, playful.

I have no doubt these here will do great on ice. What I’m really curious about is in powder, particularly heavier wet powder and it’s associated crud. Had a really tough time with that on the ZG 85’s. And, if the opportunity arises, probably not this time, I’m also interested in how they ski in deep, deep, light powder.

Last edited:

Sponsor