• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Hakuba 2019

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’ve enjoyed dinner at Issei twice now. (They could have sold me on a dining plan, the number of times I was there this visit). I’ve got to go to Koiya for my unagi fix. Anyone who read last year’s trip report already knows. No different. I walk in and am told there is no table available. I’m not told how long the wait is and invited to wait. In fact, the sign outside says Closed, though just below that, on the same placard, the opening hours says it should be open. I point to a corner and tell him I’ll wait.

One thing I notice is, there aren’t any foreigners. There are usually one or two. Then, I noticed there are. They’re Chinese. Of course. Chinese enjoy unagi and their other specialties, horse meat and variations on carp. The unagi was superb as always, fresh out of their tank. I also ordered a side dish of wasabi stems. So powerful, I set it aside and ordered the mushrooms. The wife laughed. Yes, she charged me for the wasabi.

Returning to the ryokan, I was beat. The turn down service is so nice. I return from skiing to this

1B1F0039-F308-42FB-9394-4CEA4BA17FA5.jpeg

And, I return from dinner to this,

6B52801F-5271-4AFD-A9E1-D7388EE297A3.jpeg

Well, not exactly. These photos were taken the evening I arrived, before and after dinner at the ryokan, and before I unpacked. The reality is, there are some personal items on the window sill and on the table, and clothes laid out on the couch. But, the effect is the same. So, now your question is answered, ‘why’d he wait so long to post?’

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Happo-one. Looking at the forecast, I decide to get out early.

5F5E418A-67A8-4BB2-8D46-B9195EF2EE81.jpeg

Let’s put this into context. This is my last day at Hakuba. Tomorrow, I return to Myoko for another attempt at Maeyama with Bill Glude, an attempt that was aborted last year due to my poor attention to a few small details. I invite you to read that trip report. Being the last day, I’m going to make the most of it; ski before it rains; get to Issei for lunch, before they close at 2, to have the soba.

I’m at the rental shop, to pickup the Kore 93’s, at 7:35. Looking up, skiers and riders are on beautifully groomed runs already! Adam Gondola isn’t supposed to open until 7:30. I missed something in translation. Anyway, I’m good. The first line I encounter will be at about 9. The groomed runs are beautifully groomed. But, I am drawn to the ungroomed where there is some powder, some crud, and some wind scoured hardpack. Regardless of the conditions, just spectacular skiing in scenic environs.

FCC00CFC-7011-423C-A795-6F6CCD4549A5.jpeg
Valley view from Happo-one

854C1CBC-8529-49EA-B5D5-9796A5203738.jpeg
7A82E57B-DA84-48C8-8408-D050D085034B.jpeg

93143CB5-638F-491F-8C0C-DC77F088CC67.jpeg
Alpine views

I see some lines I’d like to ski in the sub-alpine. :)

First couple runs, I ski aggressively and am not skiing so well. Left footer problems again, manifesting itself in a long slide down some hardpack. So, the rest of the way down after that, I do the physical therapy drills that Gabriel gave me. And, back at the top, before the next run, I do the off-skis movements he gave me. After that, all good!

Finally, I take the last lift to the top of the resort. This is what I find

425162A0-6410-4692-ACCC-D7F6581FB844.jpeg

That’s a lot of folks going up. And, from where I’m taking the photo, at the top of the lift, I’m surrounded by others who will be doing the same. I’m thinking, too bad I don’t have my touring skis, just to skin up the ridge to look, then ski back down it.

I do a couple of runs from the top; take some of the above photos. Then, I think. These Kore’s, they’re suppose to be light. The alpine bindings are heavy, but perhaps not too heavy. I’ve got my pack. Heck, I’ll bootpack it, then ski back down the ridge. So, up I go.

On the way up, I encounter an American family. The boy is asking to ski down the enticing south aspect. The father replies, it wouldn’t end up at the resort; they’d have to find their way out, to a road. As they move along, I speak to him aside and let him know that it’s also a high avalanche risk. He’s thankful to know and I wonder how many others are up here with no understanding.

By now, it’s about 11:30 and the weather is coming in. Looking up the ridge I’m ascending, I see this.

C382A9C8-5C0F-443A-99F1-60CECF1881A7.jpeg

I see the weather, I see these three Big Game Hunters, descending.

9C05C4D4-BDC1-47B0-B4B5-8AE9813B2764.jpeg
E86BD644-0534-4AB1-8A21-333B8DA2C986.png

I think they got what they were after, don’t you? To me, it doesn’t look like they would have contemplated anything else. I wonder how early they started and how high they went, and what’s on the memory card. That woman, how fast can she have that tripod set, Nikon mounted and focused, and finger on the button? I’ll bet fast, really fast. She is certainly not just another pretty face.

Onwards and upwards. It gets windier and more overcast. This is about where I turn around. It’s obvious by now that the top is not an option. It just keeps going up.

8AB1739B-9732-4C16-90E5-1FCDDE47B047.jpeg

Then, I see this,

F0E64FF0-45E1-4FB1-B2E7-A401EC80DF13.jpeg

Zoom in. Yes, a lone skier, going down the, albeit safer, north aspect. But, not safe, not going alone. I’m thinking, how many crazies went up, and skied down? I’m thinking, even if one can navigate a safe way down, one would not want these crazy folks around, and Above.

(Later, I am told that, the previous week, in that “North Bowl”, a group encountered an avalanche and, for the heck of it, went to search mode with their beacons, just to see if anyone was caught in it. There was. A Lone Skier! )

Time to head down. I’m thinking lunch. I regret skiing down the skin tracked, boot trodden ridge. Should have just walked down. I’m glad to arrive to this,

9B255814-E69B-49C3-A9BB-32483CC2325F.jpeg BC0DBEB1-F93D-4B61-BCCD-AD2FC9679A6B.jpeg

It’s an easy ski to the bottom far away. And, the lower reaches have gotten wet and heavy. I’m down in time for lunch, getting to Issei at 1:30, well before they close at 2.

Attachments

• AF2BF584-B575-433E-A1F5-D2A84DDD8193.jpeg
    AF2BF584-B575-433E-A1F5-D2A84DDD8193.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
My last day skiing first looks problematic, then turns to pleasant anticipation, becomes gloomy, then brightens, sort of. You’ll see or not see what I mean, or both.

As predicted, it rains in Hakuba that evening and, torrentially, overnight. Rain is forecasted in Myoko as well, the next day’s destination, planned since October. The objective was to re-attempt last year’s aborted tour, reported in last year’s trip report, to ski the backcountry of Maeyama with Bill Glude, avalanche expert of the highest order and guide. In our pre-trip meeting the evening before, we both agree that skiing Shiga Yokoteyama, the highest resort in Japan, makes more sense given the rain. It should snow there, by forecast and by Bill’s experience. Plus, a mutual friend from Tokyo, who rides and instructs there, confirms that it is snowing there. I was there once before, last year, on a glorious sunny day, with glistening stellar that had fallen the night before. Problem solved; we are looking forward to some great skiing at Yokoteyama. In fact, I already have in mind terrain into which a couple of unwitting resort skiers skied last year, then had to be searched and rescued by helicopter, at their great luck and expense.

The next morning, I’m packed and checked out when Bill swings by to both pick me up and to convey the bad news. As he is leaving Yokoteyama at about 6 AM to return to Tokyo, Brad reports heavy rain. Things are not looking good; it’s still drizzling in Hakuba. Nevertheless, I propose staying in Hakuba since it nothing has escaped the rain. I know that he has clients in Myoko the next day. Staying in Hakuba, he wouldn’t make it to Myoko in time for a pre-trip meeting at a reasonable time. Regardless, he focuses on what’s best for this day. His experience is that Hakuba will get cold first, before Shiga, before Myoko. The rain, particularly higher up, can very well turn to snow. Then, he checks the temperature at the top. It has dropped 4 Celsius, or was it 6?, in an hour. Bill says that’s a very good sign; it should keep dropping; rain should turn to snow. I suggest, hesitantly, the Happo-one alpine, where I hiked up the day before. Bill vetos that without hesitation. I’m good, very good. How about Tsugaike, where I was two days earlier? How about Denkuhara, which we didn’t get to? Bill likes it! If the weather goes the way he expects, could be a lot of snow there. I’m all in. And, since he has not heard of it, I’m inviting him to dinner at Issei, my new favorite Hakuba restaurant. We have a plan! He suggests hanging out a while for coffee, to let the weather develop, rather than going up and getting wet. Coffee sounds good to me. He chooses a shop named Zou, next to the train station.

Nice young woman, with an friendly, easy going Australian demeanor, explains to me what a Long Black is. I explain that I’m American and, to me, that sounds like an Americano. Right on. One Long Black. Bill orders both coffee and breakfast. I guess we’ll while away some time here, so I order a small bite to eat as well. Then, Bill starts waxing about how so-and-so used to work there and how she used to be the heart and soul of Zou. The nice young woman smiles and agrees that she is missed. I can’t help it, so I ask, “Bill, what are you saying exactly? That this place is now heartless and soulless?” He’ll get me back.

By the time breakfast is finished, the rain has let up and it’s gotten cooler. We head to Tsugaike, take the gondola up to the top, and encounter snow!

768592D4-33BC-4B5F-8EE6-70FB99457094.jpeg

Today, we have only one objective, Denkuhara. We take the direct route. Along the way, we stop at a grove of trees. Seems like a popular place to gather. A large group of perhaps 12 Japanese snowboarders are also there. Bill and I admire the their snowboards. There are all shapes and styles, including carving boards, fishtails, spoon tips, many custom snowboards. These are certainly enthusiasts.

The group heads off before us and we take our time, taking some photos.

B65EC0B4-FFDF-482C-AEF1-1DB72D2BD75A.jpeg
9A91A617-830F-4643-AA39-545373AF5113.jpeg

Bill expands on what he’s carrying in his pack and, with a completely straight face, notes that today is the first time this season that he’s brought along rope. Yup, if you read last year’s trip report, you’ll know he got me back for that one at Zou Cafe; he got me good.

I’m always keen to learn what Bill’s thinking. Already, on the way up to the grove of trees, he has already shared with me observations of note; for example, snow sticking to the opposite side of tree trunks than it normally does. That means wind direction is not normal. That means we are in a circular storm system. That means we can’t count on normal drifts and wind transport; we need to be wary of avalanche hazard in unexpected places, unexpected to Bill since I have no expectations. We might also encounter a big shift in wind. Continuing up from the grove, we skin up both scoured icy surfaces and powder of varying depth. Bill points out that uncovered snow that was rained upon will freeze to ice and not cause a persistent weak layer; heavily covered wet snow will drop in temperature at a slow rate, resulting in a layer that is stable. The shallow layers of powder is where there will be concern later. Temperature drop will be rapid; a persistent weak layer is a good possibility.

As we continue our ascent. It gets windier and colder, enough to chill both of us. Me, I’m also damp from earlier perspiration. That doesn’t help. We find a few trees to shelter amongst, add a layer, and decide to retreat to the grove of trees. But, before doing so, we ascend a few more meters to get to a nice open face. The snowboarders apparently like it too; we find them there, having already transitioned and about to descend. We watch them. Visibility is dropping. Some clearly have trouble finding the fall line. Others, perhaps those who are familiar with this area, have no problem and make beautiful turns. Us, we decide to descend skier’s left of them, both avoiding their tracks and getting closer to some shrubs and trees, which afford us better visibility.

911F92A6-87B0-473C-9071-FA365F3DF697.jpeg
18971A2A-9ACA-4968-A6A0-A975CDB96BF0.jpeg

The snow is variable. One turn could be in 15 cm powder, the next could be on wind scoured hardening wetpack, and everything in between. Regardless, it was FUN! And, staying by the shrubs was a good call.

Back at the grove, we find excellent shelter. We also find little evidence of our having been there earlier; it has snowed so much. After a lunch break (chocolate and tea for me, onigiri and tea for Bill), we decide to head up again, this time keeping another layer on. There’s a shrine at the top; nothing much Bill says; but, we decide on that as our objective.

Heading up, our previous skin tracks are gone. We ascend past where we last turned around. We continue a ways and it starts getting even windier, visibility drops further. We come across Nate, who guided the group tour two days ago, with two clients. Where’d they come from? We didn’t see any tracks; they didn’t come from the other direction, since we encountered them at the same “trailhead”. The snow, what is falling and what is wind transported, has simply covered their tracks. They are transitioning. Looking up, it’s a continuation of some very shallow terrain as far as I can see, which isn’t far. Bill says it’s just a long climb up shallows; it’s not worth it for the skiing. I look down and visibility has become worse. Easy decision; we join Nate and his clients in transitioning

The video doesn’t tell it. Nate’s wind blown skins at the end of the video? Shortly after closing my camera, there are huge prolonged gusts that are strong enough to pin the skins horizontally

Bill and I transition quickly and are done before they are. (Amazing I can be quicker than others; I’m slow) We head down to just below the stunted evergreens and Bill asks me to wait. He’s going to drop in over the knoll, stop further below, and take some photos of me skiing down. I personally don’t see the point, as I’m not one that appreciates selfies, and these are rotten conditions to stand around in. But, I humor him and agree to a slow count to 20 after he disappears. As soon as he does, the wind howls and visibility drops to, for all practical purposes, zero. I can’t even see my skis; they’re instantly covered. A nearby shrub, my only point of reference, gone. I wish I had a photo or video of it. But, no way could I take my camera out. But, here, this is about what it was like,

2F8F0BE1-9B36-4E3E-B3D5-611152B0BAF8.jpeg

If you have trouble seeing it, it’s much better in iPhone’s Smart Invert mode,

Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accomodations>Invert Colors>Smart Invert on.

On an Android phone,

Settings>Accesibility>Color Inversion or Negative Colors

I head to where the shrub was, sorry. is, and succumb to vertigo. I collapse and hope I collapse in a way that will not cause injury. Now I see my skis. I get up. A break in the fog reveals the shrub. I inch over, and wait, and wait, debating what I should do. The decision is do nothing, stay in place. Nate and his clients come up to me from behind and he radios Bill, to let him know he’s with me. The fog has broken a bit more; I want to ski along a line of shrubs that is skier’s right of where Bill went. Over the radio, we all agree. Visibility gets even better, but not close to “moderately good”. It’s what one might call “Sufficient to at least Start” and Nate says Go! I go. Five, six, seven turns later, I make out the darker background that is Bill, make one more turn, then turn towards him. Nate and the two others are not far behind, skiing my line. Bill wonders, on account of avalanche risk mitigation, why they aren’t spacing themselves. Anyway, we move on. As we descend, winds die, visibility improves. When we enter Tsugaike Kogen Resort, it’s like a different world, no drifts, any powder is skied off, it feels crowded.

Never an uneventful day with Bill, and there’s more, at least for him, to discover. After coffee, we return to base and get ourselves sorted for the drive out of the valley. Bill will drop me off at a hotel in Nagano, then head up to Myoko. But, before that, one last dinner at Issei, and Bill’s first. He has the Duck Soba, which also has mushrooms. I have the mozzarella-like tofu salad and the salmon sashimi. Darn!

9C9CB7A2-E960-46CC-88E2-DE593875264A.jpeg
329253F3-FF40-425F-8881-90286502720A.jpeg

I always forget to take the photo of the salmon before digging in. Here, I have already disturbed the wasabi.

Bill loves it. He has been planning on taking a Japanese woman friend out for her birthday. It will be to Issei. Before leaving, the same foreign woman, whom I encountered at an earlier dinner, enters. I ask how many times she’s been here. 3rd time. Me, fourth. Gleeful laughter. We agree that the owners could have sold us a dining plan.

It’s been a great five days of skiing. As for my objectives, they are met, all except another attempt at Maeyama, in Myoko. But, the day with Bill above Tsugaike was just as satisfying; so much learned, such good skiing. My skiing still isn’t back to normal; I can’t “dance”. But, I can ski whatever. The Kore 93’s are nice, but I’ll look for something whose tails don’t wash out on groomers. That makes me think. My BMT’s didn’t wash out. Maybe I’ll try a narrower, shorter BMT. Or maybe one of the Blizzard Zero G’s.

The day ends at the hotel attached to Nagano Station. Back to work the next day. Fortuitously, the first meeting is, where else, in Nagano. The next meeting is in Tokyo. So easy and fast to travel large distances, to have meetings so far apart on the same day. Then, after yet another meeting the day after, I board a flight at Narita for the return home, looking forward to returning to Japan next year.

Epilogue:
Thinking about it later, I realize why Nate rode down with his clients close behind. He must have thought the danger of separation, on account of the fog, outweighed the avalanche risk. Bill agrees that is a reasonable decision.

Last edited: