• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hail hurts.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
1E8341B9-C910-4AF4-96C2-29AA781524E2.jpeg

Hail hurts. I got caught on a ride today Temp dropped to 36* and there was nickel to quarter sized hail. Road quickly was covered in about an inch of hail. Found some shelter under some cottonwoods and My lovely wife was able to meet me down the road after the hail stopped enough to take the Jeep out. She had the Jeep preheated and seat heaters on full. We knew there was a chance of storms but it was 10%, I grabbed my rain jacket just in case in the AM. On our way home, about 15miles out, there were thunderstorms behinds us and storms in the direction we were headed but they were to the northeast over buff pass. As we got to about 6 miles out all of sudden a massive black front became visible as it came over the top of the mountainside to our west, I said to my friend, we’re in trouble, that’s a Hail storm. We were with a slower rider so we did our best to haul ass but we didn’t want to drop her. At about 3 miles out it hit, it was in the low 60’s or upper 50’s by then but the hail stated to dump. The temp on my Garmin read 36* and the hail was pelting us with nickel to quarter size pieces. We rode about a 1/2 mile and the road quickly became covered. I came up on a cottonwood stand and we took shelter there but it was also lightning. I was able to reach my wife but she Couldnt take the Jeep out because of potential damage but after 10mins or so it changed to heavy rain, we decided to head out since we were starting to get cold. Made it to my friends car @ski-ra and we jumped in. Damn cold and soaked tot he bone. Hands were the coldest. the hail really was not fun. It was bizarre riding in the hail, it was more like crunchy cereal than slippery.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m really glad it wasn’t the golf ball to tennis ball size hail we got in Louisville on Monday and that you’re all okay.

Reactions: Ron

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have multiple friends who have cars either totaled or not able to be driven until repairs after last week's storm. As I ride my bike through town the damage is astounding. I know at least 4 people who need new roofs. Skylights are tarped all over town. Roofer signs in yards are basically a signal for scammers that a homeowner has already hired someone to do their work. I was out of town but it appears the only damage to my property was a single glass planter on my deck. I got lucky.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bro, glad your ok !
Our son in Fort Collins got his can in a garage just before hail hit the other day, that Colorado hail is no joke.
More importantly .... hows your bike :D?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It hurts in multiple ways - I had a serious off on a bike on a road covered in BB sized hail - essentially touching the brakes laid me over and I went for a long slide.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
It hurts in multiple ways - I had a serious off on a bike on a road covered in BB sized hail - essentially touching the brakes laid me over and I went for a long slide.

yeah, when we got back on the road that was our main concern so we rode in the tire tracks of the cars. I unclipped and rode gingerly.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
i had posted this on FB as well but after looking at the Garmin summary, the temp hit a low of 33.8* . There was a 20 degree drop in 10 minutes and a 32.4* drop in 17 minutes! I had on a water resistant shell that kept me dry for about 3 minutes in the heavy hail/rain. I ordered a eVent shell last night :)

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
Yeah it was a good cautionary tale about what bad weather can do to a bicyclist in the CO Mtns. I almost always get hit with hail when riding Mt. Evans so I bring the full cold/wet gear. But learned the hard way that even at barely 7,000' things can turn nasty fast. There was not enough time to even put on my shower cap (over the top of my helmet) but that was a mistake since I got brain freeze from the hail pelting the top of my head. Fortunately being only 1mi. away from our car made it is more surreal than a trip to the ER due to hypothermia.

Reactions: Ron

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Ouch. We had a hail storm the other day and I ran out to move my truck. Got hit in the head by a golf ball sized piece of hail and it did NOT feel good. Can't imaging being caught out in that on a bike.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ouch. We had a hail storm the other day and I ran out to move my truck. Got hit in the head by a golf ball sized piece of hail and it did NOT feel good. Can't imaging being caught out in that on a bike.

Yikes! ours was no where near as large as that! Thank God.....

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
A view of the first fairway from the back of our house. Good luck finding you ball there (of course, mine are ALWAYS in the rough:roflmao:). Of course most are NOT golf ball size, most were only about quarter sized.
IMG_0961.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How are your legs today?