• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@geepers are you sure it was Garmisch? I have been there many times on races (lately mostly men WC, which run new Kandahar course, while women are on old), including 2011 WCH, but I somehow don't see women course been really demanding. Start of women DH is normally on top or even on half of Troglhang, which is steep but short, and then it's followed by long flat part, that even I with backpack full of photo gear, always go straight down when going to position. So it's kinda impossible to imagine where they would hit 130km/h in first 10sec. Even later down the course, I don't remeber any real jump on women course. There's another steep section (Eishang) but that's it.

Yep. It was the only event I got to watch all the way through. The CBS commentators pointed out that 130kph by 10 secs.

Here's Stephanie Venier's winning run. Unfortunately doesn't show what's happening at the 10 sec mark - it did on the CBS broadcast - however looking at the speedometer bottom center of screen you can see she reaches 130kph again at 25 seconds. The jump that was causing the problems is at 1:02. Venier flew a loooong way - her run was before either of the reductions.

Gutsy, gutsy stuff.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Also Cornelia Huetter at the 10 sec mark.
Garmisch.jpg

The 1st 10 secs of this race look pretty hectic.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ah ok this year it went different obviously. Start was on top of Troglhang but a bit more straight down then normally, and that jump is actually on men course. Normally they went left on top of Eishang (start of men GS) and into Holle, but obviously this year they went into Eishang and over Kramersprung (that's this jump) and under Kramersprung back onto normal women's course. Normally they never run women race over Eishang and jumps below (Kramersprung, Mauersprung and Freifall), that's why I was kind baffled where they even found jump on that course, as there's really not a single jump on normal women's course.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah ok this year it went different obviously. Start was on top of Troglhang but a bit more straight down then normally, and that jump is actually on men course. Normally they went left on top of Eishang (start of men GS) and into Holle, but obviously this year they went into Eishang and over Kramersprung (that's this jump) and under Kramersprung back onto normal women's course. Normally they never run women race over Eishang and jumps below (Kramersprung, Mauersprung and Freifall), that's why I was kind baffled where they even found jump on that course, as there's really not a single jump on normal women's course.

This year was a bit different in combination with superfast surface created a real b***h for the ladies.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Yea saw that article, thought the timing of late April was odd. Also noticed this week that the Hahnenkamm 2019 was back on YouTube. Seem to remember Kitz and Schladming were taken down quickly in January 2019.

Was also interesting to hear how US team is not in the same hotel every year. The power house teams have been in the same hotels for decades (Tiefenbrunner Hotel and Team Norway for example). US was at Goldener Greif when I went at 2018 and was a great place to stop in and talk with the team and have a beer (or eight or ten). Being right near The Londoner makes that hotel even cooler.

Last edited:

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ladies downhill at Garmisch they were 130 kph 10 seconds after leaving the gate. That's the one where they twice shaved one of the jumps during the race and it still wasn't enough - some competitors didn't get to run.

Yeah - ski like a girl :eek:
I assume this was on Kandahar. Great for downhill.