• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
The question:

What’s the best option for dealing with Haglund’s Deformity? Punch, grind, just deal with it or is there another option?

The back story:

Have had bony protrusions on the back of my heels for as long as I can remember, sticking out approximately 6 or 7mm and about 25mm in diameter. Never have had my boots modified to deal with the discomfort as it usually becomes tolerable (but still causes some mild discomfort) once the boots have broken in - I have always been leery of having any work done in the heel area of my boots.

I purchased new boots earlier this season and now have about 30 days on them, but the discomfort from the Haglund’s hasn’t changed much as the boots have broken in. I’d like to get this fixed if there is a way to address the discomfort with out negatively impacting heel hold/performance. I’ve talked to the two best fitters I have experience with and have gotten conflicting opinions from them.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also the proud owner of an Haglunds Deformity. Last year it was causing me some discomforts on multi day adventures, so I used some Dr Scholls callous cushions
20190220_161446_HDR_resized.jpg

These have been quite effective. I did not want to get my boot punched and end up losing my heel pocket grip. After several trips, I stopped using them for day trips and it seems to have settled down. No pain. It may have been just enough to pack out the liner enough for some relief, or it may have just provided enough cushion for the pain to heal itself. I still carry them in my bag as a just in case.

There is also the surgical option.......;)

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Be cautious with the Haglunds surgical option. I believe outcomes are not very good.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be cautious with the Haglunds surgical option. I believe outcomes are not very good.

Like having a bunion removed. Painful as hell, and a long time healing.

Thats why I didn't go that route. Foam donuts are much less intrusive

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Usually a grind works well, unless it is a very thin waled boot like a Hawx Ultra.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
My right heel formed one of these bony protrusions about 10 years ago. I think it happened because I was in boots-too-big, and my right heel was moving up and down inside the boot. A quite visible bony lump grew on the outside of my heel over the season, and it hurt. It disappeared on its own over the following summer, thank goodness. I blame the boot's poor fit.

Until now, 10 years later, that spot on my heel has been a non-issue and the lump hasn't returned. For another string of seasons I continued to buy new boots in search of a good fit, but bootfitters continued to put me in boots too big. Maybe my heels moved, but maybe they didn't. Not sure, as I had no idea at the time what a good fit felt like. The bony protrusion did not return though. Go figure.

Now, for the last two years, I've been in very, very snug boots that actually do fit (I found the right bootfitter finally). But I'm skiing more bumps and skiing them more aggressively... and sometimes I feel my right heel move a little in the boot. I've also felt that bony protrusion spot getting irritated, but so far no growing lump, just irritation.

I am watching very closely how I buckle that boot to eliminate the small heel rise to keep things good in there. There isn't much room in the boot for foam donuts, but I'll probably consider trying if the irritation at that spot continues.

Points: Maybe loose boots are the cause. Such a protrusion can shrink and disappear on its own over the summer without surgery or medical treatment of any kind, because mine did long ago.

Good luck.

TS
TSQURD

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
Thanks!. Yes, the irritation is worse after skiing aggressively in rough conditions/moguls vs carving on smooth groomers, but I dont have any noticeable movement when the boots are properly buckled. Don't think sizing down is an option for me either as I have very low volume heel/instep that drives the sizing of my boots. My last several boots have needed to be punched/ground in the toe box just to get my foot in. Unfortunately, I don't think i'll be lucky enough to have the protrusions resolve on their own either, Ive had them since high school (in my mid 40's now). I have pretty much ruled out the surgical option based on a visit to a podiatrist several years ago.

I think the donuts might work to alleviate the pressure on the protrusion and give me short term relief, if I can get them in the boots with out taken up any length. My boots are Lange RX130LV, guessing there is enough material there to grind the heel, but looking at the liners, there is a stiff, almost plastic, material that wraps around the lower foot and up the back of the heel. Wondering if that might be part of my issue why the liner hasn't broken in around the heel bump. It seems fairly stiff & wonder if there would be any give in it even if I had some material removed from the shell.

Been considering a set of Boot Doc liners anyhow, maybe I actually 'need' them.

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
@TSQURD any update? Dealing with similar in a new pair of boots (Hawx Ultra XTD) and looking for options outside of shell mods. XTD shells are thin and the bump sits right around the walk mechanism so trying other things first. I think I'll pick up some of those Dr. Scholl's donuts.

TS
TSQURD

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
I went to see PJ at Race Stock - he ended up making some room in the heel and also put me in a pair of Boot Doc liners. Have 200ish days on the boots now and haven't had an issue since.

Good luck!

Sponsor