• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Had ankle fused last Friday, looking for new boot suggestions for my frankenfeet.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I've been holding off on this fusion for over a year and pushed thru the pain this season but it was time to get it done. I'm an advanced skier 6', 190 lbs and have been skiing Lange RS 130 wide boots (size 27.5) which took a lot of work to get them "all day comfortable" on my bad foot but these boots were incredible the last half of this season. I'm dreading having to start over with new boots but it appears I need much stiffer boots as these 130s skied soft before the fusion and now with very limited dorsi-flexion, I'll have a huge dysymmetry of flex between my two ankles. Is there any chance of stiffening up these boots with additional rivets or other means? I tried on every LV intuition liner with these boots at the fitter and the boots were bulging so bad we couldn't get the buckles closed so I don't know if a stiffer liner is even an option in these boots.

The challenge is I likely need the stiffness of a plug with ease of entry of a 3 piece or similar. So what are some boots to consider that fit similar to my Lange's with that really narrow heal pocket but have easier entry and the ability to stiffen them to maybe a 150ish flex? I love how locked in my heals were in the Langes but I have a moderate instep on my good ankle (the Lange was fine) but a rather high instep on my bad ankle due to all the calcification around injury (even with lots of work to the shell and liner, the Lange was rather tight so I loosened every buckle for the lift ride). However, after he scraped out all of the cartiladge on my Talus and Tibia, it's possible that the instep will be lower now as he said taking out that joint would likely shorten that right leg a noticeable amount. The only other thing I'd change about the Langes is finding a toe box shape that is more squared then rounded as I did lose my right (bad ankle) toe nail this season and my left one barely stayed on. I don't understand why Lange (and many others) makes a round toe box when the big toe is often the longest point on the foot. Why make that inside corner 1cm shorter than the center of the toe box. I tried on a Salomon (maybe Xmax or Speedmachine) and it was squared off on the inside and I thought, "genius" but those didn't hold a candle to the the Lange when it came to locking in my heal.

A few suggestions so far have been the Dalbello Panterra 130 and KR 2 which can evidently be stiffened up with tongues and plugs to become a good bit stiffer than 130. Other suggestions are the Full Tillt First Chair or Decendant. I've only skied traditional 4 buckle race boots so I don't know anything about these other styles but I like the sound of the customizeable flex.

About my feet: Healthy Left foot is 103mm wide, 276mm long, medium instep, skinny heal and ankle and medium calves. Fused Right foot is 105mm wide, 281mm long, medium instep, skinny heal and medium cankle and medium calves.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Head Hammer may be worth a try. Hard to find though.
According to MasterFit review it is a stiff 130 with a narrow heel- https://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/head-hammer-130

As posted by Josh somewhere on this site, by ordering the stiff Dalbello Tongue it makes the KR a 150 flex that barely flexes.
You could use the stiffer tongue on the bad ankle side, but that may give you a weird asymmetry.

As far as stiffening a three piece, someone on TGR laminated a Carbon fiber layer to the inside of a Dynafit tongue to stiffen it up.
Probably not that hard to do if needed to stiffen up the bad side. Any one that repairs boats could probably do it for you as could an O&P shop.

With the fused ankle entry difficulty and the option of running different tongues I think a three piece is your best option.

Another thought would be to try one of the 3 piece hike mode models ad relating the cuff makes putting a boot on much easier.

Even with an overlap shell, I find an intuition wrap liner is much easier to don with my high instep foot. Wrap liners are also more forgiving on my instep.

Don't know how tight they are in the heel, but the new Dalbello AX fit a little wider up front.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Rigid Rocker soled shoes will probably be your friend for daily life, something like a NB928 or Xelero shoes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you did a Dale boot or other custom, could they make the boots different to accommodate the disparity between your feet?

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dale Boots are easy to don and gentle on instep!
Don't know about current fit or stiffness.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm going to give Dale Boots a call and pick their brains. I'm not sure there is a consensus on what's best for someone with a fused ankle so unless they (or any fitter) have worked with a number of people with fusions and supported them for a season or two until they had tried everything and found the holy grail, I think people mean well but are making educated guesses. Reading up on here, TGR and European forums (I wish I still had access to Epic to see what they have on the subject) a lot the last week, the info is all over the place. Sme people with fusions who are happier in really stiff boots, some in moderate flex, some who absolutely can't get their foot into a 4 buckle boot and others who say it's no big deal so they just kept using the same boots they used before the surgery. The only certainty I've found in all my research is, "it depends".

I'm definitely not going to sell off my Lange's but I may pick up another pair or two next year and experiment. I have 48 days on my RS 130s this year and the last 10 days I could tell the liners were packing out in a few spots so I may try to find some liners that stiffen things up and then research if a 3rd bolt in the spine would stiffen them up at all. If I could get those to close to 150 flex they may be the ticket as I just can't imagine a 3 piece design being as torsionally stiff and precise as these Langes. The closest 3 piece does seem to be the Krypton 130 IF, and it's a big IF, I can find the A tongues but those seem to be dicontinued due to cracking. Several boot fitters have said they have tried but have not been able to get the A from Dalbello for some time. Full Tilt does have a 12 tongue but that only brings it up to 130-140 flex but there are rumors of a 14 tongue in the works. But from what I've read, durability wise there is no comparison compared to the Dalbello.

bigskymtnguy

Booting up
Skier
Been a DaleBoot fitter for 10 years. Ankle fusion is tough. As you attempt to flex forward, you'll hit a wall, and at that point your heel will lift. It is also at that point the flex in the boot needs to be stiffened to to point where your heel will be prevented from lifting. Ramping the rigid foot into a balance position is key, as you will lack the ability to effectively control fore/art pressure like someone with a normal, flexible ankle. I normally don't recommend the DaleBoot ST to most skiers, but maybe if you were ramped appropriately and then the upper cuff was positioned correctly, you may have a good chance of some semblance of fore/aft control.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been a DaleBoot fitter for 10 years. Ankle fusion is tough. As you attempt to flex forward, you'll hit a wall, and at that point your heel will lift. It is also at that point the flex in the boot needs to be stiffened to to point where your heel will be prevented from lifting. Ramping the rigid foot into a balance position is key, as you will lack the ability to effectively control fore/art pressure like someone with a normal, flexible ankle. I normally don't recommend the DaleBoot ST to most skiers, but maybe if you were ramped appropriately and then the upper cuff was positioned correctly, you may have a good chance of some semblance of fore/aft control.

Thanks for the Reply! The ST was the one I assumed would likely be most appropriate. Having worked with Daleboots, do you have a suggestion on a specific person/shop that would likely have the most experience with someone in my shoes, err, boots? I don't want to make the assumption that the headquarters in SLC is the place but that would make sense. Thanks again for weighing in!

bigskymtnguy

Booting up
Skier
The Salt Lake City location would allow you to have the boot made, ski it, and get adjustments. Hard to do anywhere else. When I measure up a DaleBoot I wait two weeks for delivery, then fit to client, then make adjustment after skiing.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Salt Lake City location would allow you to have the boot made, ski it, and get adjustments. Hard to do anywhere else. When I measure up a DaleBoot I wait two weeks for delivery, then fit to client, then make adjustment after skiing.

Thanks for that. Does the Daleboot have options to make the ST stiffer if someone wants that and how stiff can it be made?

Sponsor