• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GS ski as cheap mogul ski option?

tsk94

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I remember reading a few threads where the discussion of cheap mogul ski alternatives came up and that was to use a GS race ski, remove the plate and mount a flat mount binding on them - potentially moving the binding forward as well.

Shape wise this makes sense to me, as discussed GS skis and mogul skis share very similar and sometimes identical molds. One of my questions is in regards to flex though. I'd argue flex is just as, if not more important, to a skis performance in bumps. So how does the flex of a GS ski work for moguls? Initial thought would be the tips would be too stiff?

I've been looking for an affordable mogul ski option and true mogul skis are hard to come buy (at a good price at least). I'm 5'6" ~130lbs and a very strong advanced level skier and a pretty competent bump skier. I was looking at JR GS skis as I figured something in the 163-low 170's range would be ideal for a true 'bump' ski for someone my size and weight. Would something in that size range of a JR GS ski be a good option or should I be looking at shorter adult GS skis (~>175)? And if this is the a good route to go, how far forward should the binding be mounted? @Philpug and any other knowledge gear heads, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
in the mid 2000's Hart caught lighting in a bottle with their F17, it was the Hart Javelin GS ski..which was also the Blossom GS ski of the day. This ski won the Bronze at the Vancouver Olympics.

I think most any head height used adult GS ski will be a fine inexpensive mogul ski. Just remove whatever race plate is on it and mount up some Look Pivots. As far as mount points, that is a matter of preference. I have talked to more than one coach about this, anywhere from factory to splitting that and true center.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Women's GS skis will be a little softer. Looking at your stats, that would be a really good bump ski for you. Look pivots mounted flat around +1.5 is a good place to start.

TS
T

tsk94

Skier
Just wondering what price point are you looking at?

Pretty cheap. I love skiing bumps but generally don't get to ski them that often (full day of bump skiing) to justify buying a new pair of mogul skis and most locally I can find are in the 400+ range. I've looked online and haven't found much recently, would have to be a really good deal though once you factor in shipping and exchange rate to bring anything I find on the forums up here to Canada.

Appreciate the insight everyone. There's a couple local options of GS skis in the 165-170 range for super cheap so that might be something worth doing!

TS
T

tsk94

Skier
Women's GS skis will be a little softer. Looking at your stats, that would be a really good bump ski for you. Look pivots mounted flat around +1.5 is a good place to start.

Haven't come across any women's specific GS skis, at least they haven't been labelled as such. I'll keep an eye out for some though, thanks for the tip.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
165-170 will be a jr. ski.

TS
T

tsk94

Skier
165-170 will be a jr. ski.
Yeah, I realize that. Adult ones usually start in the mid to high 70's, which I'm fine with doing if that's a superior option to a jr ski. I figured the jr ones would be a bit softer and perhaps better for my application and size wise work out a bit better. I know the jr skis have a bit more shape, but I thought the flex and length would outweigh the downside of a bit more shape - perhaps I'm wrong?

That's not going to be cheap. Add exchange of 30% for our Loonie....
What's not going to be cheap? That's why I'm looking almost exclusively at local skis. Anything from the states once you factor in shipping and the exchange rate isn't that good of a deal anymore unless it's dirt dirt cheap.

TS
T

tsk94

Skier
Anything coming from Maine....
Good thing I'm not looking at anything from Maine then I guess..

Best bet for a cheap and effective mogul ski might be an older used ski, like my old Völkl P50s.
Hey, if it's cheap enough and would be good for what I'm looking for I might be interested!

James

Out There
Instructor
I once spent significant time in a season on a worn out, no camber, 155 jr slalom ski. I’m not sure what possessed me to use the hand me up. It was a learning experience I guess. You had to be very measured in your inputs.

The no camber was good in the tight woods with hard snow anyway.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Good thing I'm not looking at anything from Maine then I guess..

Hey, if it's cheap enough and would be good for what I'm looking for I might be interested!
Oh, I would sell them for cheap if I hadn't paid so much for the Marker Comp 16s. What I'm saying is you should check out consignment stores near you for similar skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
26DEEDEF-96EC-4959-B83C-D7118676C69E.png

Sponsor

Staff online