• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Growth spurt ski dilemma

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
I need some help with thoughs if I should buy new skis for my oldest or wait. This stuff is not cheap. My oldest son now 12+ has growed a little bit more than anticipated.

Some basics:
153 cm, 95lbs
Advanced skier prefers soft snow in the trees and wants to start to explore the backcountry with me. Groomers is ok preferable while searching for the soft goods. Park not so much.
Current quiver K2 bad seed 139 and Line sir francis bacon shorty 145. He loves the Lines but uses the k2 when skiing only groomers.

He defenitively wants a 95+ ski with tail rocker. I think the LSBs is tad to fat and has a little bit dated ski design.
Found some decent but not great deals on LSBs and SalomonR2 jr.

I plan to mount either his Lines or a new ski with Guardians that I found cheap and cut some used skins to right size. I hate to redo this again next year. There is also a little brother of 10 who can inherit any leftover skis.

What to do?

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
I'm not a gear afficionado but I'm sure the many here that are will chime in shortly with their recommendations as they have helped me many times.

I would only offer that you might want to go as long as you and your son feel comfy with (say160-165) and the most important point is that little brother would likely get some use out of whatever you choose down the line. Good luck in your search.

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
I ordered the Solly in 160. They will probably be slightly large this season but that is ok.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ordered the Solly in 160. They will probably be slightly large this season but that is ok.
That Solly is a good ski. I would rather see him on one right ski, that two wrong ones.

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
I would only offer that you might want to go as long as you and your son feel comfy with (say160-165) and the most important point is that little brother would likely get some use out of whatever you choose down the line. Good luck in your search.

That Solly is a good ski. I would rather see him on one right ski, that two wrong ones.

Thanks, now I dont have to worry about the skis, more about my credit card bill.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
My 12-year old is on 143cm Head Ethan Too skis, but she's 70 lbs and the same height as the skis. This is just to say that it probably doesn't matter all that much. She skied them last year, too, but found them a bit much.

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
14531521130925465621.jpg

Skis mounted. Spoiled kid. If I had that kind of setup just a few yes ago.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Was wondering about the weight and the binding... Figured the Tour 10 was about the lightest DIN setting frame touring binding...

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
The F10 was the first choice without doubt. But it was a matter of cost. I found these used 3 days for equivalent to 100$. Didn't found any F10 or f12 for reasonable price.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Those are sweet. How many days a year does he ski? My kids are the same age category and size, but only get out a couple times a year. Let us know when/where you're selling the old gear. Already got some Bad Seeds and Juvies waiting for them to grow in to but always looking for really good deals on used kids gear. Can't justify new gear prices for ski that gets used 5 times then outgrown and donated to someone else. So, If I see something gently used (skis or boots) for $50-$100 that looks like it will be good for them in the future I get it and store it until they are ready for it..

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
Those are sweet. How many days a year does he ski? My kids are the same age category and size, but only get out a couple times a year. Let us know when/where you're selling the old gear. Already got some Bad Seeds and Juvies waiting for them to grow in to but always looking for really good deals on used kids gear. Can't justify new gear prices for ski that gets used 5 times then outgrown and donated to someone else. So, If I see something gently used (skis or boots) for $50-$100 that looks like it will be good for them in the future I get it and store it until they are ready for it..

I guess that they ski 20 days/year. However we live in Sweden so I guess I sell our used stuff more local.

TS
Emil

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
OK what was the verdict. He hated them :eek:. The ski in general, something felt wrong and he wanted his SFB shorty back from the little brother. Then I took a closer look on the front rocker and they were slightly different (Left compared to right) and maybe to low.

I contacted the shop were we bought them on mail and they called me up. They have a local branch were we are skiing now and we arranged for a check. After some measuring they agreed that the skis were not quite OK. They did not have a replacment Salomon in stock but offered a new pair of SFB shorty mounted in an hour for no cost. Excellent customer service, sometimes you are surprised:golfclap:. And now I'm the best dad in the world.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online