• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Group lessons for advanced skiers

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
In the east, I had to do a non-refundable hiring clinic 25 years ago. A few years ago I was asked to do another similar clinic even though I was a full cert AND a season pass holder at the time. I declined. I’m not sure what the situation is now or at big western resorts.

I’m sorry I brought the crappy treatment of instructors into this thread. I was actually pretty happy with my teaching career.

dm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Easy for the instructor to ride the lift with a different person each time and give feedback without having to stand around doing it.
There you go, @Fuller. Make sure you sit with him in the chair and confront him. I don't know how he's got a good reputation if he's just acting as a tour guide and homework assignment giver. And really, if you tell him that you want feedback and you end up not getting it, go into ski school and ask for a different group. Better to go down a group level and get feedback than to be with a guy just essentially cruising. When I finally did that myself, I'd waited too long and essentially wasted my money except for the fact that the next guy's group had wandered off and I got private lessons as a result.

How was today?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The instructor should be able to give every person, in your class, personal feedback.
I would ask him for feedback. Have you talked to others in the class? Maybe they feel that way also.

5 is a decent sized class. Easy for the instructor to ride the lift with a different person each time and give feedback without having to stand around doing it.

Well I had my second lesson today and it was a big improvement. Each of the students received some specific feedback, the terrain was challenging (moguls) and I learned a new drill I hadn't even heard of "The Crabwalk Drill"

My boots fit (finally), my hip is pain free and I got my mojo workin'. Yay!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anybody have any thoughts on taking group lessons as an advanced and experienced skier.

My guess is the best bet are advanced/expert mountain tours with a good instructor leading it who will give you tips rather than signing up for formal group lessons. Ot maybe someplace like Aspen or a Taos ski week. Otherwise, my guess is you would pretty much have to go clinic or private.

Thoughts?
I love group lessons, full stop. I miss the old fashioned “ski week” (which I think Taos might still do?).

For me, 5 x 2 hour lessons with the rest of the day free to spend with friends and family is absolutely optimal. The market or ski schools or someone has decided that’s not a very good model though. Ski schools sure don’t help by switching instructors in and our out during a week, and sometimes even redoing groups every day.

So that unicorn aside I’ve found week long clinics or as you say guiding to be the way to go. By and large though guiding is just that.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes Taos still has the Ski Week. There are several threads about it, one from the Taos Mimi Gathering where many Pugskiers participated and another by @Jenny her Taos SkiWeek.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid