• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Group class for kid: Sunshine or Lake Louise?

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ll be skiing with my son (8 years old) at the end of next week/into the weekend at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. He wants to do a half day group lesson, but we haven’t decided at which mountain to do this. I assume that Sunshine and Lake Louise are both good places for this, but thought I’d see if anyone has some reason why one location might be better than the other. In case it matters, he’s a pretty confident skier who comfortably skis blue and black trails here in New England, but he’s not super advanced or anything. He’s just looking for a small group lesson with a good instructor where he can get a bit of personal attention to help him take his turns to the next level.

Any recommendations related to group lesson at either of these mountains would be very much appreciated. I skied at these mountains last year with a friend, and am excited to go back with my son!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I can't give you an opinion on SSV or LL ski schools, but imo Sunshine Village is one of the least accurately named ski resorts in N.A.

Flat Light Village would be more truthful.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I’ll be skiing with my son (8 years old) at the end of next week/into the weekend at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. He wants to do a half day group lesson, but we haven’t decided at which mountain to do this. I assume that Sunshine and Lake Louise are both good places for this, but thought I’d see if anyone has some reason why one location might be better than the other. In case it matters, he’s a pretty confident skier who comfortably skis blue and black trails here in New England, but he’s not super advanced or anything. He’s just looking for a small group lesson with a good instructor where he can get a bit of personal attention to help him take his turns to the next level.

Any recommendations related to group lesson at either of these mountains would be very much appreciated. I skied at these mountains last year with a friend, and am excited to go back with my son!

Our kids did lessons at both places, and you really can’t go wrong either way. Both ssv and ll have great ski schools with very good kids’ programs.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
If you’d like a little more individualized attention for your son, you might want to do a first tracks lesson with him at Louise. For an hour and a half private (which is almost the same length as a half day), you pay a little more than $110cad. Both SO and my kids and I have done it and we had great experiences:

https://www.skilouise.com/rentals-and-lessons/first-tracks-private-lessons.php

TS
jspsj

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier

Sponsor