• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier

Cat tracks are more compact, lighter but are a pain to put on compared to the SkiTrax and have no real rocker to aid walking. They are due for a re-design to add some rocker and bigger pull tabs for installation. If they were to do that, and keep the bulk down, it would be a better pocket product.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Krypoton Pro
Mach 1
Dalbello DS
ProMachine
Hawx

all hollow.....

what’s up with Tyrolia producing Attacks that fit the race plates - for years & never making a smaller AFD or brake?!

Guess they figure if you need brakes that narrow you are on their dedicated race bindings anyways. There are a lot of skis that still come flat under the average of 85mm - 90mm but the companies do not care about producing a wide range of products that just won't sell much. Being a male seeking a 24.5 performance boot is nearly impossible. Dalbello usually brings in maybe 4 and most of the time its because of a professional woman or me complaining.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Guess they figure if you need brakes that narrow you are on their dedicated race bindings anyways. There are a lot of skis that still come flat under the average of 85mm - 90mm but the companies do not care about producing a wide range of products that just won't sell much. Being a male seeking a 24.5 performance boot is nearly impossible. Dalbello usually brings in maybe 4 and most of the time its because of a professional woman or me complaining.

Hahahaha- or me, I’m a 24.5 in Dalbello

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hahahaha- or me, I’m a 24.5 in Dalbello

Seeing as you put Vermont in your profile I am guessing that is why most of the time when I find one it is back east someplace hahahaha

I just got smart and had my rep add me to some shops preseason order

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hide them under the stairs, nobody ever looks!
My boot bag just goes on the nearest available hook, so these just go inside. Never worry about it.

They do get a bit dirty and wet, so not ideal for pocket carrying.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
So can I be clear for me as the imbecile in the room? GW boots and compatible bindings have a lesser connection between boot and binding?

If that’s so is it a discernible difference? 1%? 3%?

I ask all this just to get a handle on whether it is material to the target market, which I assume is by and large resort/side country advanced level skiers using walk mode boots, or recreational beginner and intermediates?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Brian, Gripwalk hasn't been good for you and it might not be good for the most casual skier either. The people it was aimed at. I had a client this year that I was advising on boots and looked at some of the slackcountry options because hey, Gripwalk and walk mode, why not. The problem is that she rents skis and many rentals do not have multi-norm bindings. I would not trust that the two weeks on the job kid in the rental shop at Christmas time is going to even know what grip walk is when she rents. So I just don't see how this is good for anyone.

Full disclosure, I replaced the Gripwalk soles on my Fischer Ranger Frees after just a few weeks. I really didn't feel any improvement walking, and I did feel that the Gripwalk actually degraded the skiing experience. Plus with DIN soles I can switch from these boots to my plugs without worrying about my bindings.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So can I be clear for me as the imbecile in the room? GW boots and compatible bindings have a lesser connection between boot and binding?

I ask all this just to get a handle on whether it is material to the target market, which I assume is by and large resort/side country advanced level skiers using walk mode boots, or recreational beginner and intermediates?

The connection lost is quite a bit, I do not have exact numbers but you are cutting off and hollowing out a portion of the sole and then attaching new soles with screws. This creates a dead zone between the soles and the connection to the boot. When driving the skis there is a argument that power transmission is lost in the flex or movement of the soles in this dead zone. This was created due to years pressure from the casual skier to create a easier experience when walking around. This forced the industry to create bindings that accommodate and started a mess that most hardcore skiers never wanted.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

C82EFF2A-17A2-4286-96CF-D164F31CEA27.jpeg

I’d say that the rubber on the GripWalk degrades the ‘feel’ by 5% but the larger issue is that they offer largely midrange bindings in GripWalk- the skis on the right have a GW Attack 14AT, it’s largely plastic. Move to the center & we have a consumer race binding for DIN, it’s mostly metal. Far Left- a full metal race service clamp (shout out to the wife- these are the SL skis she just won Canadian Masters FIS Nationals on :) ). The feeling is night & day- I feel like I’m going to snap the GW bindings off & look closely- the overhang toe & heal. I’ve also had issues with multiple GW boots all having different contact points- a first world problem but if you have multiple boots and a quiver, it’s a problem.

Additionally, all the GW boots are now (mostly) focused on being lighter, & lack a solid sole under the foot.

Now I am a firm believer that you only have so many turns in your legs and that if you’re wasting energy walking to the bathroom or the parking lot, you’re putting yourself at a greater injury and fatigue risk.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
The connection lost is quite a bit, I do not have exact numbers but you are cutting off and hollowing out a portion of the sole and then attaching new soles with screws. This creates a dead zone between the soles and the connection to the boot. When driving the skis there is a argument that power transmission is lost in the flex or movement of the soles in this dead zone. This was created due to years pressure from the casual skier to create a easier experience when walking around. This forced the industry to create bindings that accommodate and started a mess that most hardcore skiers never wanted.
B76204F0-E9D2-43DB-A2A4-A0BD4EB0FD7C.jpeg

Left- new Head Plug with tons of solid plastic.

Right- Hollowed out GW boot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Now I am a firm believer that you only have so many turns in your legs and that if you’re wasting energy walking to the bathroom or the parking lot, you’re putting yourself at a greater injury and fatigue risk.

So what we really need is a pocketable pair of Crocs, not GripWalk.

Right- Hollowed out GW boot.

Setting the touch points to one side (sorry), are you not just a little bit tempted to miter some carbon fiber c-channel and epoxy it in?

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
So what we really need is a pocketable pair of Crocs, not GripWalk.

Setting the touch points to one side (sorry), are you not just a little bit tempted to miter some carbon fiber c-channel and epoxy it in?

We’re starting to see racers walking in the lodge in xl slippers over their plug liners.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

Bode tried something similar with his FullTilts, subsequently he chose to focus on his brand bomber FullTilt.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Don't really need anything so hi-tech.

Bode Ski Boot.PNG

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
^What’s going on there & why? I see some big naviculars & some canting.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Back on point, I’ll let y’all know when the clamp fire sale goes live.

Reactions: mdf

Sponsor

Staff online