• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Background- I’ve been an adamant supporter of GripWalk as a benefit to the industry and a major advancement in ski technology. I’ve been skiing on it for the last three seasons.

Current scene- after testing the most recent iteration of “racerish” GripWalk clamps, I have come to the conclusion that I likely need to move back to a DIN set up. The options available for a race level/ carving binding that supports GripWalk and also has brake width in the sub 85 range is just nonexistent. Additionally, I am very displeased by the number of high-performance boots coming onto the market that have a solid sole lacking.

So my question is: what can we learn from the GripWalk failures for future endeavors? This seems really divisive that we’re forcing folks into consumer plugs & race bindings for expert level on piste skiing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure if it's a failure..but I do think it is far from a success...I guess that you could say it's a falure then. I do think that your application, for the race world was never the intent with it. I still think it was an aswer to a question that wasn't asked and it was designed to solve a problem that wasn't there..or not significant enough to address with a well designed DIN sole. I do think it has caused many more problems than it has solved and I think there is a significant percentage of skiers out there that are in a Gripwalk sole with an incompatible binding.

Another area where we have been discussing the negative effect of Gripwalk is in what they have done to bindings, making them higher. @onenerdykid and I have been having this conversation elsewhere and we agree, expecially when it comes to demo bindings. People ask for a boot that "does it all", well, the cost of doing it all is that it does many of the things poorly or at a cost.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In full transparency...I have a boot that is Gripwalk compatible and I am using it...because I can. But it there wasn't a Gripwalk, I don't think I would miss it one bit as long as I had a sole that was not a solid race style lugs, then I would add some walking soles.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Gripwalk for any boot. Just wish they were a little smaller for the pockets.

s-l640.jpg

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I've been using those this season on occasions where I need to go out to the parking lot to switch skis. They work surprisingly well.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Background- I’ve been an adamant supporter of GripWalk as a benefit to the industry and a major advancement in ski technology. I’ve been skiing on it for the last three seasons.

Current scene- after testing the most recent iteration of “racerish” GripWalk clamps, I have come to the conclusion that I likely need to move back to a DIN set up. The options available for a race level/ carving binding that supports GripWalk and also has brake width in the sub 85 range is just nonexistent. Additionally, I am very displeased by the number of high-performance boots coming onto the market that have a solid sole lacking.

So my question is: what can we learn from the GripWalk failures for future endeavors? This seems really divisive that we’re forcing folks into consumer plugs & race bindings for expert level on piste skiing.

The casual skier and the ones spending the money will always dictate where the market goes. A lot of true skiers could probably care less unless the change is significant enough to change their current setup or outlook on skiing. The backcountry group to me has always been proof of this, true touring people are usually quite cheap and oldschool, they are looking to save money not spend it. Yet the market is growing because these "do it all" casual skiers want to spend money to be like the truly dedicated.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
What I fail to comprehend is why binding companies can’t produce a 80mm brake & GW compatible clamps for the ski industry folks who are in boots all day & appreciate the ease of walking. At the same time, where are the solid sole boots? Not everyone is on the WC, I’m a pushing 50 skier who wants a solid connection to the ski- I can’t be alone in this.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gripwalk for any boot. Just wish they were a little smaller for the pockets.

View attachment 94316
I have a pair that I've used with my Lange RS 130 for the last 5 years. I need them to make walking to the bus stop and then around the lodges easier and slip-free. I have cargo-style Burton snowboard pants with big pockets to hold them while I ski. These are the best fitting pants for me with my large thighs (6'6", 225 lb).

I've considered getting a pair of GW all-mtn boots to pair with the RS, but I need a LV 30.5 boot, so I just keep using the RS, which were a special order in that size.

Reactions: CBR
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
The casual skier and the ones spending the money will always dictate where the market goes. A lot of true skiers could probably care less unless the change is significant enough to change their current setup or outlook on skiing. The backcountry group to me has always been proof of this, true touring people are usually quite cheap and oldschool, they are looking to save money not spend it. Yet the market is growing because these "do it all" casual skiers want to spend money to be like the truly dedicated.

Reflecting on your comments / thoughts, I’m taken back to 2003 when ‘core’ skiers & intermediate began skiing Garmonts because they had a walk mode & Vibram soles.
It would appear the AT/ Sidecountry / Frame binding push would reach its inevitable conclusion at GripWalk, then it backfired inexplicably.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Reflecting on your comments / thoughts, I’m taken back to 2003 when ‘core’ skiers & intermediate began skiing Garmonts because they had a walk mode & Vibram soles.
It would appear the AT/ Sidecountry / Frame binding push would reach its inevitable conclusion at GripWalk, then it backfired inexplicably.

I actually sat down with @Philpug over the weekend and we discussed a lot of the current issues being brought up in this forum. We tend to see this push for boots that walk or offer more mobility every so often. Thinking we have evolved the sport enough or find new ways to accommodate a problem that a lot of skiers did not really ask for. I tell a lot of my customers who start walking around the store that want get a "feel" for the boots that ski boots were not made for walking, they were made for skiing.
The AT/backcountry group will always ask for a hard shell design compromise and they can have it. A lot of the "do it all" boots sacrifice something when used strictly for downhill or lift served use. I agree with something said earlier about having a solid sole boot. The Dalbello Krypton Pro no longer comes with a solid sole, like why call it pro? cause its stiff? I also get that this particular boot was not really meant to be raced on and thus did not need it but a solid connection does feel good to the skiers that notice these changes. The market called for lighter boots and hollowing out the sole and making them have replaceable toes and heels was the quick and easy answer until light weight plastics happened, which in my opinion ruined the real power transfer through a lot of boots.

That is my current morning rant :roflmao:

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I actually sat down with @Philpug over the weekend and we discussed a lot of the current issues being brought up in this forum. We tend to see this push for boots that walk or offer more mobility every so often. Thinking we have evolved the sport enough or find new ways to accommodate a problem that a lot of skiers did not really ask for. I tell a lot of my customers who start walking around the store that want get a "feel" for the boots that ski boots were not made for walking, they were made for skiing.
The AT/backcountry group will always ask for a hard shell design compromise and they can have it. A lot of the "do it all" boots sacrifice something when used strictly for downhill or lift served use. I agree with something said earlier about having a solid sole boot. The Dalbello Krypton Pro no longer comes with a solid sole, like why call it pro? cause its stiff? I also get that this particular boot was not really meant to be raced on and thus did not need it but a solid connection does feel good to the skiers that notice these changes. The market called for lighter boots and hollowing out the sole and making them have replaceable toes and heels was the quick and easy answer until light weight plastics happened, which in my opinion ruined the real power transfer through a lot of boots.

That is my current morning rant :roflmao:

Krypoton Pro
Mach 1
Dalbello DS
ProMachine
Hawx

all hollow.....

what’s up with Tyrolia producing Attacks that fit the race plates - for years & never making a smaller AFD or brake?!

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
^same w Sali & Rossi:why is 90mm the smallest available?

*yes an Attack or attack will accept an aftermarket brake- if you can source it. Tyrolia is a lil easier as a race brake will retrofit.