• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GripWalk AT ?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I'm looking into new AT boots, tech compatible, and have a question. Has anyone tried a mountaineering crampon on a GripWalk soled AT boot? Any issues with the rocker bump on the bottom?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t used Gripwalk boots, so I can‘t comment on the sole issue though I would be very surprised if there were any problems there because I use crampons with rocker-soled AT boots with no problem. I suppose it depends some on which crampon you use. You might contact the ‘pon manufacturer and ask them. What I will say is when you’re looking at new boots make sure the crampon heel throw is compatible. There are a few boots where the external cuff locking system blocks engaging the heel throw of the ‘pons.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the difference with rockered AT or climbing soles is the shape of the Gripwalk sole: the bump is behind the ball of the foot, then it’s flat from there on.
I could see how it might be a challenge, but most mountaineering crampons are flexible, and iceclimbing ones are adjustable.

I will try with something I have.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried my Petzl cord tech crampons on my daughters Fischer boots with gripwalk. No problem. It doesn’t look like a rigid connector bar would be any problem either. The bump isn’t that big, and far enough back.

I would not worry about it. But, like @pais alto said, do worry (and check) the heel lever fit with your boots, and see if they work in walk mode.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online