• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hydroxylradical

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello from UP Michigan, birthplace of professional hockey, as they say. I donot know much about hockey, but I got started into ski last year, and found a new self! This year will be my 2nd season. Last year was a total blast! I learned ski thru youtube university, and lots lots lots of falls on our tiny Mt Ripley. I remained an unbroken piece though.
So I am upgrading my gear to get ready for the new season. I am 5'9 and 170lb, kinda aggressive, trying to improve curving. I started on a used 160cm K2 amp strike, which aint gonna work for my growing appetite. Any recommendations?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the site and to skiing.

Many choices, have you gone to Down Wind Sports in Houghton to see what they have? The have basement of used gear too.

Also at Mount Ripley, you can try their demo skis for free for 1 hr or pay for longer. I would recommend this too.

Otherwise some possible skis.

Nordica Navigator in the 80s range.
Rosi Exp 80s range

If you get to Marquette, check out http://www.thecompoundskishop.com/ The better place in the U.P. to get ski boots fitted correctly. To be honest, start with the boots and then get the skis.

TS
hydroxylradical

hydroxylradical

Skier
Welcome to the site and to skiing.

Many choices, have you gone to Down Wind Sports in Houghton to see what they have? The have basement of used gear too.

Also at Mount Ripley, you can try their demo skis for free for 1 hr or pay for longer. I would recommend this too.

Otherwise some possible skis.

Nordica Navigator in the 80s range.
Rosi Exp 80s range

If you get to Marquette, check out http://www.thecompoundskishop.com/ The better place in the U.P. to get ski boots fitted correctly. To be honest, start with the boots and then get the skis.

I bought new boots - Technica Ten.2 (yes I have big calves). It fits me well. I got a used K2 AMP strike 160cm from Mt. Ripley gear swap, but I think I am ready for something nicer this year.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably should ask, male or female, since that does play a part in recommended skis too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seriously? We never went down there. Damn.

TS
hydroxylradical

hydroxylradical

Skier
ok, I need to ask what is the length of ski I should be looking at, for intermediate skill level? I am 5'9 170lb. I know there is a size table, but want to hear some truth...

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
For UP skiing I'd get something in 88 width with a range of -5 and +10. This will suit you well in most conditions you get up there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
ok, I need to ask what is the length of ski I should be looking at, for intermediate skill level? I am 5'9 170lb. I know there is a size table, but want to hear some truth...

Very much depends on what ski you pick. I have skis from 170 cm to 184 cm, and could go a little shorter or a little longer with different skis. In general, the length scales a bit with the width. What are you looking for? Something to help you carve better? Are you learning to ski off the groomers at all yet?

Also, I know you're self-taught (and video taught) but a lesson or two can go a long way to helping you too I'd guess. If nothing else, it would give you some checks to make sure you're progressing OK.

TS
hydroxylradical

hydroxylradical

Skier
Very much depends on what ski you pick. I have skis from 170 cm to 184 cm, and could go a little shorter or a little longer with different skis. In general, the length scales a bit with the width. What are you looking for? Something to help you carve better? Are you learning to ski off the groomers at all yet?

Also, I know you're self-taught (and video taught) but a lesson or two can go a long way to helping you too I'd guess. If nothing else, it would give you some checks to make sure you're progressing OK.

yep my goal for the new season is to carve better. I am checking the marketplace here, and also gear-trade.com. I donot know much about the technicalities, so need help to pick something to move on.
There is this very nice coach at Mt. Ripley who gave very good tips last year. I might take a few private lessons this year to make sure I ski like mikaela shiffrin :)

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
sorry to ask, -5 to +10 of my height?

Skis with waist width 83 to mid or High 90s. Still work quite well in groomed or icy conditions which you'll have. But excel on crud, new snow chop, and like 5" or less of new powder.

Perfect for UP.

TS
hydroxylradical

hydroxylradical

Skier
Skis with waist width 83 to mid or High 90s. Still work quite well in groomed or icy conditions which you'll have. But excel on crud, new snow chop, and like 5" or less of new powder.

Perfect for UP.
gotcha. I'll find something with 88, like nordica enforcer, or rosi exp...recommended by Dwight above

TS
hydroxylradical

hydroxylradical

Skier

Sponsor

Staff online