• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Greetings from the White Mountains of New Hampshire

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
Bob, in Thornton, NH. Hello everyone.

67 yrs old, been skiing sixty years. My friend's mom and dad had skis from WWII so we clamped them to our boots when I was seven, beartrap bindings and coasted down the hill in the backyard.

Grew up in the Boston area and we had a tiny hill, Blue Hills, not ten minutes away. And, it was on the bus line! By the time I was 11 I had a pair of Northland skis (did you know they are coming back) and my mom would give me a dollar for the day. Ten cents each way on the bus, fifty cents for a lift ticket and thirty cents for two hotdogs and a coke for lunch. It only had a rope tow but we had a blast.

At 14 I talked my way onto the National Ski Patrol at Blue Hills (officially you had to be 16, but at 14 I was 6'3") and did that a couple of years. The head of the ski school asked me to become an instructor which I did, and in 1971 got certified at Cannon Mtn. At that time there was only one level of certification.), In 2000, wanting to stay relevant I re-took the Level III skiing and teaching exams and passed. So, this is the 51st anniversary of when I started teaching.

I'm now retired from teaching in the east but for four weeks in Feb and March I head to Vail and teach adults out of Lions Head. It's a good gig taking groups to the back bowls! Locally, I ski with a bunch of guys at Loon, Cannon and occasionally Waterville Valley.

At 67 I can still turn em pretty well and have no trouble keeping up with the younger guys!

In the past I was quite active in EpicSki under the name WVSkier, which stood for Waterville Valley skier, but too many people thought it meant West Virginia skier.

Attachments

• BobHatcherSpringSnowBig.jpg
    BobHatcherSpringSnowBig.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome, Bob!

I stayed a winter (75/76) at Pine Valley Cabins when I was training at WV (Waterville Valley, not West Virginia :roflmao:). I had a roommate who'd never raced and only ate meat and potatoes. I was doing pretty well racing at the time. We'd commute to the ski area every day to train. My coaches were Georg Capaul and Fred Turton. That was a wonderful season.

TS
SkierGolferNH

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
Small world. Georg is the best coach I've ever known. He was actually part of the ski school my first year at WV, 1972. 75 was the year Georg went to coaching. I showed up in early December 72, a sophomore in college looking to work at WV and knocked on Paul Pfosi's (the ski school director) door. He was sitting with Georg and said "Hey Georg, go take a few runs with this guy and see what he knows". We skied for an hour and had a ball, I had never seen someone ski so well, when we got back he said to Paul "Yah, this guy knows what he's doing, hire him". We had Wayne Wong, George Askevold, Floyd Wilkie and Sean Smith on staff. Although I was certified I learned a lot from those guys.

I don't see Georg very much any more, but I see his son Andrew on occasion on the golf course. Georg retired a few years ago from running the snow sports program at The Holderness School. Paul died in 1977 in a helicopter crash at Heavenly Valley, CA, Of course, his kids went on to great things, Eva to the US ski team. and Eric became a pro freestyle bump skier in the 90s and was on the patrol in Vail. In 2000 I ran into him and we both had our name tags that read "Waterville Valley, NH"

For such a small mountain, Waterville has a rich history in racing having sent many, many kids to the US Ski Team and holding the World Cup Finals in 91.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where do you ski now Bob?

I'm about 15 minutes from Big Blue. I took my first lesson there at age 12 in 1988. On my first run I skied straight down the icy bunny hill, through the orange fence, and halfway through the leaves on the way down to the parking lot. My mother almost died laughing watching the three of us that day.

On Saturday I hiked the full skyline trail at the blue hills. I've hiked big blue dozens of times but had no idea that skyline has the same elevation gain as Tecumseh or Osceola. Not a bad training hike close to Boston.

TS
SkierGolferNH

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
You are not the only one to have done that! It was a rope tow back in the early 70s. I am surprised that Skyline trail has Tecumsah, that's 2,000 ft.

As I said in my OP, "I ski with a bunch of guys at Loon, Cannon and occasionally Waterville Valley" I live mid-way between them in Thornton, NH

TS
SkierGolferNH

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
You are not the only one to have done that! It was a rope tow back in the early 70s. I am surprised that Skyline trail has Tecumsah, that's 2,000 ft.

As I said in my OP, "I ski with a bunch of guys at Loon, Cannon and occasionally Waterville Valley" I live mid-way between them in Thornton, NH

Sponsor

Staff online